No A/C

mesteve

So we are finally getting ready to take a trip where we will be staying where there is electric hook ups. Fired up the A/C in the driveway and nothing. The fan blows air, and best I can tell the compressor is running on the roof (took the shroud off and it feels like it is running). The lines coming from the compressor are warm/hot, the radiator on the back feels coolish, and the line going into the blower housing is ambient temp.

I see no way to recharge the system. While the line between the compressor and the radiator could be thermal transmission because it's metal, it really feels hot enough that there is coolant inside.

Any ideas what else to try?

P.S. I had installed a digital thermostat, but put the original Dometic one back in to eliminate variables.

wdk450

Mesteve:
Did you have a 30 amp (or better) power source at home? The air conditioning isn't going to run right on an extention cord and the standard home 15 amp circuit. Maybe you can borrow a big enough generator.

rebootsemi

So we are finally getting ready to take a trip where we will be staying where there is electric hook ups. Fired up the A/C in the driveway and nothing. The fan blows air, and best I can tell the compressor is running on the roof (took the shroud off and it feels like it is running). The lines coming from the compressor are warm/hot, the radiator on the back feels coolish, and the line going into the blower housing is ambient temp.

I see no way to recharge the system. While the line between the compressor and the radiator could be thermal transmission because it's metal, it really feels hot enough that there is coolant inside.

Any ideas what else to try?

P.S. I had installed a digital thermostat, but put the original Dometic one back in to eliminate variables.

No A/C is not cool, play on words...We had the same thing happen in our new Sundance. Unit had a leak in the system, lucky for me it was still under warranty and they replaced the whole unit with a new one, has run great since. I looked at ours and it would be a pain to find a leak and repair it, you would have to cut into the system to do any work on it,,,only after warranty is out.
The A/C units pulls about 14.5 amps so you can run it just fine with a good extension cord and a 15/20 amp circuit, don't use one of those cheapo 14 or 16 gauge cords. Yours is probably a Dometic unit so get in touch with them, might still be in warranty.
Good luck!

tmcran

Not sure the problem. But I have run my A/C at home 15/20 amps many times with no problems. I do use a 30 amp cord with a 15/20 amp bone that cnnects to RV50 amp cord.

rebootsemi

Problem is the A/C unit has lost it's charge, no freon no cold air. Remove and replace, warranty I hope.

olcoon

We are work camping in Co, been here since the end of June, and the AC hasn't worked since we've been here. Finally had a mobile RV guy come out & he was on the roof with his tester & it started working. He couldn't understand it, as he said he didn't do anything, was just checking things out with his volt meter. We turned it off, as we didn't really need it. Turned it on the next day & it wouldn't work. Called him back & he wouldn't be able to get back for 2 weeks. Called another mobile repair guy & he called Dometic. Apparently what the first guy had done was the same as jump starting a car. The 2nd guy "jumped" it again, and it worked until it got the coach cooled off to the temp set with the thermostat, & it wouldn't start again. He ordered a new thermostat & circuit board (replaced the silver box in the AC from inside the coach) Now it works like a champ, life is good again in air conditioned splendor. The AC unit wasn't freezing up, it didn't need a charge of freon, it was a problem inside the AC. This was our problem, your's may be different. Good thing was that the AC was still under warranty, and all I had to pay was the service call for the mobile RV service. Probably wouldn't have to pay anythig if I could have taken it into a shop.