urgent question about heating element

Bobby A

I got everything apart to replace the heating element and I notice that the original OEM I took out is longer and thicker than the new one that General RV sold me. They both say 120V 1440W, my gut is telling me it will be fine but I would like clarification before I install it. Please respond ASAP I will be standing by.

Thank you
Bobby A

jolar3329

It should be OK. You can go to any hardware store, not ACO, and see a larger selection at a lower price.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I've not replaced mine but as long as the rating, wattage and line in voltage are the same it should be fine. And fit the depth of the hole.

Bobby A

It should be OK. You can go to any hardware store, not ACO, and see a larger selection at a lower price.

Thanks for the rapid response jolar3329, after I bought it at General RV I thought it was kinda expensive so I went next door to H/Depot and they did have several for much cheaper in price but just not an exact match, so I figured I should stay with an exact match. If I would of know that the original one was not an exact match either maybe I could of saved myself a few bucks. O well to late now, I already got sylicone on the rubber seal on the new one. Maybe I will take the original back to H/depot and get a spare for next time. O.K hear I go, back to the install.

Thanks again,

Bobby A

I've not replaced mine but as long as the rating, wattage and line in voltage are the same it should be fine. And fit the depth of the hole.

Thanks Ray,
The new one is probably 3 inches shorter, going to install it, I already got it out of the package and put sylicone lube on the rubber gasket. Hear goes !!!!!

Thanks,

Bobby A

Someone please explain this ?????

Someone told me that while I had the old element out to use the hot water clean out tool and spray inside where the element goes and clean out all the sediment. Sounded like a good idea, so I sprayed water inside where the anode rod goes and also where the element goes. Put the new element and everything back together and opened the basement door to a flood of water !!! Why ??? someone please explain ??? I've cleaned the anode rod area several times without incident. It seems to me that the hot water tank is sealed so why would I get water in my basement while spraying water in through the element hole ???? Someone please explain ?? I'm confused !! If it can go wrong, it will happen to me !! I have everything back together and blead the lines and now have the electric back on, hopefully in an hour I will have hot water, however I cannot hear the electric element running, maybe because its new ?? or maybe something else is wrong ??? Help !!!!

traveler44

I will check to see if I can hear my w.h. running when it is on electric. I don't think I have ever heard it run on electric before, but then I have never listened right next to it. I don't think your w.h. should leak water into the basement because it should hold the water and maybe some pressure as it heats up otherwise there wouldn't be pressure relief valves on them. Hope that is just spill over from draining, otherwise you will have to start looking for leaks around the w.h. and all of the water lines and fittings in the area. Let us know if you get hot water? Tom M.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Bobby, if you get to Home Depot for an element, make sure it is for 120 volt.
Don't have and answer as to why you have water in the basement unless your flushing process got a little out of hand.
By the way, did you ever check for 120 volts at the element?

Peace
Dave

brianharrison

Hello Bobby,

No you should not be able to hear the hot water electric element running. It is like an electric stove top element on an older stove (the ones with the rings) - resistance heating and should not be any noise.

You are correct, the hot water heater should be sealed other than your anode rod and electric element opening. I cannot imagine a way for water to get into your basement with just cleaning water into the hot water tank. I would suspect something else.

What was your cleaning water supply, did you disconnect shore water and use it? There may be an outside chance when you turned on your campground water and bled the system a water surge and pressure spike MAY have popped off a fitting. Do you still have water accumulating in the basement? Unfortunately it may be a methodical check of the water lines in the basement.

Brian

rebootsemi

Someone please explain this ?????

Someone told me that while I had the old element out to use the hot water clean out tool and spray inside where the element goes and clean out all the sediment. Sounded like a good idea, so I sprayed water inside where the anode rod goes and also where the element goes. Put the new element and everything back together and opened the basement door to a flood of water !!! Why ??? someone please explain ??? I've cleaned the anode rod area several times without incident. It seems to me that the hot water tank is sealed so why would I get water in my basement while spraying water in through the element hole ???? Someone please explain ?? I'm confused !! If it can go wrong, it will happen to me !! I have everything back together and blead the lines and now have the electric back on, hopefully in an hour I will have hot water, however I cannot hear the electric element running, maybe because its new ?? or maybe something else is wrong ??? Help !!!!

What is probably going on here is they did not caulk the seam between the face plate in the WH face, these are two parts the face covers the hole and the outside of the trailer it is held to the WH by 4 screws and if the seam between the two is not caulked you will get a ton of water inside your trailer or down the side. Sounds like in your case it went in the basement.
Electric elements should not make any noise as Brain states resistance heating or basically a calibrated dead short...Check the seam between the two WH parts.

brianharrison

What is probably going on here is they did not caulk the seam between the face plate in the WH face, these are two parts the face covers the hole and the outside of the trailer it is held to the WH by 4 screws and if the seam between the two is not caulked you will get a ton of water inside your trailer or down the side. Sounds like in your case it went in the basement.

As I read your post, this type of scenario has the element seal or anode threads leaking. Bobby is there a lead from around the element or anode rod?

Brian

rebootsemi

As I read your post, this type of scenario has the element seal or anode threads leaking. Bobby is there a lead from around the element or anode rod?

Brian

Brian,

Unless I've lost my mind which is highly possible he was flushing out the WH with the element and anode remove or at least the element removed and water got into the basement. If the face tin piece is not caulked to the WH you will get water in your trailer.

brianharrison

Brian,

Unless I've lost my mind which is highly possible he was flushing out the WH with the element and anode remove or at least the element removed and water got into the basement. If the face tin piece is not caulked to the WH you will get water in your trailer.

Nope - you had yours; I misplaced mine. Thanks for the clarification; now I understand what you were getting at....water into the coach basement while cleaning from lack of seal between water heater flange and coach. Good point.

Take care,
Brian

Bobby A

Brian,

That is exactly right, and Yes you were exactly right as to how the water got into the basement, got it all cleaned up now. Thank you all for trying to help me trouble shoot this, you guys are the best !!

Now, as to WHY I was not getting hot water in the first place !! It was not the heating element after all, even thought it was all calsafied and terrable looking, it was still working but probably was a matter of time before it went kaput !! The culprit was a part called T-stat and limit 110V part # 232317 at General RV, its located behind the black reset cover behind the left reset button, that part went bad. Hope this will help somebody in the future to not have to spend most of a Sunday trying to figure out.

Again I thank all of you for your great help.

SilverRhino

Now, as to WHY I was not getting hot water in the first place !! It was not the heating element after all, even thought it was all calsafied and terrable looking, it was still working but probably was a matter of time before it went kaput !! The culprit was a part called T-stat and limit 110V part # 232317 at General RV, its located behind the black reset cover behind the left reset button, that part went bad. Hope this will help somebody in the future to not have to spend most of a Sunday trying to figure out.

Again I thank all of you for your great help.

How did you finally determine that it was the T-stat?

Glad that you got all your problems solved.