does not seem rear ac is cooling right

ntoport

I was happy when my 2012 BH 3585 arrived. But its been at the dealer more than behind my truck. The rear air just does not seem to be cooling off the back half. The outside temp has been 95 to 100. The rear air has been on for over 3 hours and its still just not cool enough. I put a laser thermometer to the grill of the unit itself, its at.....give or take a degree.....61 and it never shuts off. I can go to the front air and its blowing 48, and shuts off. Inside the cabinets and large pantry its 90 to 93 degrees. Wife says she can not put anything....can goods.....inside of them for any period of time in that heat. I just got it back Friday from the dealer and they said they could find nothing wrong and that they had it running for a day and it cooled just fine. I got thinking about that just now and I was wondering if it ran fine because they had it running inside their shop and not outside.
Refrig. was not getting cold either and they had to replace a couple of parts in there. Haven't turned that on yet. One thing at a time. With all the other things that has been wrong with the unit as of now if I had to buy another 5er it wouldn't be anything from heartland. I am sure other manuf. has their problems too. I don't care if you spend 7,000. or $70,000. it should be delieved with everything working. Case in point had no water pressure to speak of. Turns out the filters on the fixtures had some blockage from the fresh water tanks....drilled the holes needed and left the shavings inside.... along with a kink in the main line. Thought they did a check of this at the factor.
The best one was the salesman told me they took a delievery from Open Range and when they opened the door to inspect it the inside was not finished. They put and note inside that read, "We sell them not build them" and told the driver to take it back. Kinda wish they would take mine back and try to built me another one. Back to the main point, has anybody else had the problem with their rear airs?

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
In this kind of heat...A/C and refrigerators will always have a hard time keeping up. Is the temp inside the unit reasonable...say 80 degrees or below? If so, your unit/s are working normally. As for the temps in the cabinets...those temps won't hurt your canned goods...don't get what the problem is there...if a human can live in 90 degree heat, so can your canned goods.

Try running your ceiling fan along with the A/C...helps to keep it cooler...

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I am in HOT weather often. We spend a lot of time in the southwest. (although it is drier as a rule than MO.) When you enter your heated coach, turn on one of your exhaust fans at the same time you turn on your air. This helps exit the warmer air at the top. Let it run maybe 5 minutes or so. We run both of our airs for a while and cut the bdrm air after about 76 degrees.. We also went to Walmart and bought 2 little portable fans. We put one on the kitchen counter and one in the bedroom. This helps circuclate the cooler air at the floor. We also run our ceiling fan. Alot of air is moving. You can also open the big vent on the rear air to eliminate the ducted feature, to "quick cool" the living room. BTW our cabinets are 90 degrees, if we have been driving in 100+ degree heat. DW has never said anything about any food spoilage. Especially can goods, are designed to withstand all but the most extreme temps. Trace

ntoport

Inside the unit the temp is around 80 to 85 with the ceiling fan running. I have had TT, Motorhome and motor yachts and your could hang meat in the main cabin. Like I said the front air is doing great. It almost feels like they forgot to insulate the unit.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Inside the unit the temp is around 80 to 85 with the ceiling fan running. I have had TT, Motorhome and motor yachts and your could hang meat in the main cabin. Like I said the front air is doing great. It almost feels like they forgot to insulate the unit.

On a good day we can get the inside about 30 degrees below the outside temp. (depending on humidity etc). On a bad one , about 25 degrees below. 105 outside=80 inside. I also have dual panes which may help a little. In extreme temps or prolonged stays in the hot weather, we put that foil bubble wrap type material in most windows. (from Home Depot) This helps greatly. Trace

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
another suggestion in this heat...pull down all your shades, it really helps in keeping the inside cooler...do you have dual panes? They help quite a bit with keeping the cool in and the heat out!

ntoport

That was our first mistake by not ordering daul panes. I do keep the night shades down...don't like to but do...I just got back from the unit. Its 83 outside, turned the vent fan....vent was already opened, then turned on the ceiling fan and then both airs. After 2 hours the front air was blowing 49 degrees at the main vent, the living room air was blowing 62 degrees at the main vent..quick cool or whatever its called....both temps were measured 2 inches below the unit vent. Livingroom temp was at 85 and the bedroom was at 70 in the middle of the rooms. I always have had an r/v or boat a/c blow cold air at the unit around 44 to 49 degrees just like my front air does now. At least that one gets to kick off every now and then, unlike the livingroom one which stays running.

danemayer

I haven't measured the temp as it comes out of the AC units, but at 100 outside, my living room A/C runs continuously to keep the rear end of the unit down to 83 - with dual panes and fan running. That's just from sitting in the sun all day with temps starting out at 65 outside. The dining room table area is noticeably cooler - not surprising since it's right where the A/C blows.

The bedroom is quite a bit cooler, but that's also not surprising since it's maybe 1/4 the cubic feet of air to cool. On these larger floorplans, I think we might need a higher capacity A/C unit.

TeleBack

The temp outside right now is 101. The bedroom a/c will run you out of the room. The rear a/c (15k) is running constantly and it's 83 in the rest of the rig. My thought is because the air bearly blows out of the ducts. We have 12 air ducts from the rear of the rig to the front bedroom. The air blows strong at the two rear ducts but weak in all the others. I think that is *my* problem. If I open the Quick Cool vent on the a/c in the living room, the air is pleanty cold enough.

Anyone know of a modification to get it blow harder out of all the ducts?

Rickhansen

Anyone know of a modification to get it blow harder out of all the ducts?

Have you completed the TimK Tent in the Vent trick? There is a very old (2006), very long thread that addressed A/C Airflow. You will get several good things to check or at least try.

I even did the search and found the thread for you.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/1069-AC-air-flow-problem-SOLVED?highlight=tent+in+vent

mtnranger

I have a Big Country that was suffering from a weak AC. My RV Service guys says he has found that some of the Big Countrys that he has worked on had a poor job of AC installation. He sealed the area inside the unit around the duct work with foil tape and better sealed the intake air away from the exhaust air. It seemed to help quiet a bit. Cross air contamination problem.

jimtoo

I have a Big Country that was suffering from a weak AC. My RV Service guys says he has found that some of the Big Countrys that he has worked on had a poor job of AC installation. He sealed the area inside the unit around the duct work with foil tape and better sealed the intake air away from the exhaust air. It seemed to help quiet a bit. Cross air contamination problem.

Hi mtnranger,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed. I see you have been a member for a while, I hope you have been looking and getting the information you need.

Another thing that will help a/c cooling is the mod Rickhansen mentions in the previous post.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M