Bighorn questions and concerns

T

tomnpam

After much looking and research, we just ordered a Bighorn 3670RL. After placing the order yesterday we now are finding out all sorts of problems folks have had with their units. We are obviously now concerned. Having rv'd for 30 years, we know that no unit is perfect. However, it seems that people have had more than their fair share of difficulties. Are we wrong? We hope this is OK to ask on this forum. We have 36 more hours before we can cancel our order so your site was recommended to us to find out the answers to our questions....We guess our main question would be, would you buy a Heartland/Bighorn again? Thanks for any help you can give us and we certainly hope this post doesn't offend anyone!

jbeletti

Tom and Pam,

Congratulations on your recent order. And you are perfectly okay with posting your questions on this forum. I think you will get quite a bit of feedback from actual product owners.

I am sorry that you are having a touch of buyer's remorse. It's too bad you did not find this site during your research phase. But in the end, I don't think you're going to be disappointed with your decision.

I won't post a 1000 word diatribe here as to why you should keep your order. I'll let other forum members give you their own honest appraisals.

I will leave you with this link to some ownership/satisfaction/repurchase polls (see the sticky polls) we recently did here.

Best of luck to you.

Jim

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
We picked up our 3670 last month and love it. There are a couple of little things that need to be adjusted, someone got carried away screwing the ladder to one of the brackets and cracked it. All I had to do was take photos of the crack and a new ladder was ordered. On our first trip, the kitchen faucet leaked. The dealership sent a guy to the campground to fix it and we'll have it more thoroughly checked when we take it in to have the ladder replaced.

Those may sound like really big problems, but compared to what could go wrong with something this complicated to build, I don't think they are all that bad. We have no regrets, all the major systems work, it is very comfortable to stay in, it is a good value for the price, and it pulls pretty well even with only a 3/4 ton pickup.

You have to do what makes you comfortable, but don't let the stories of problems with earlier model years scare you. Remember that it is more common for people with complaints to complain than for satisfied people to praise. That just seems to be human nature.

I'm sure someone else will drop by to take the remainder of my 1000 words, right Jim? ;)

madigand

One of the main points to sway me was the responses from Scott on questions. I believe only one other forum does this. After purchase, I noticed that my Air Mattress on sofa hide a bed had a slow leak. One call to Heartland, and Jamie called me the same day. He contacted Flair Industries and they shipped a replacement mattress to my next stop. This all happened in about 3 days. I am very pleased with the concern and actions of Heartland on my questions prior to purchase and customer service after purchase. I am aware of the apprehension of making such a large purchase. We are Full-timers, sold the house, and bought ours sight unseen in person fro RV"s for Less in Knoxville, Tn. We were in Apache
Junction, AZ (about an hour west of Phoenix), and dealt entirely over the INTERNET and phone. My wife thought I was cuckoo. They were about $5K cheaper than a dealer in TX. We arrived and were very pleased. Would I buy a Heartland again? Most Definitely! There is a lot of support on this forum and I gained a wealth of information from the great people on this site. Good Luck

seabee

I to have a new 3670RL love the unit we are having a problem with our air mattrest it tends to lose air in the night and we have had it aired up firm and by morning its soft.I contacted the maker and they said we might have to many #'s on it,or the air expands or contracts with the temp but we have had two people one at a time sleeping on it one 280 and the other on a nother night that was about 160#'s and it lost air each one ended up sleeping in the middle,we have had air beds before and never had this much trouble,I'm no dummy I checked the plug how many ways can you put it in? thats the only place other than the pump that might leak out if anyone knows somthing else I could check let me know.
Sinking in the creek mud Musky.
BudNjAN------- 2008 3670RL3500 GMC 4X4 4Door LB Coooool set up

Forrest Fetherolf

seabee,

Re-post your complaint on "Bighorn Ask the Factory", Scott Tuttle or Coley Brady @ Heartland will respond very quickly and will advise you how to proceed.

Forrest

jpmorgan37

Bud;

Call Customer Service at 574-262-8030. Scott and Coley are probably tied up with rally activities until next week and you can probably get some direction before then.

John

jbeletti

Hi seebee,

Flair is here at the rally today so I printed and shared your post with them. While the information in the attached letter may not address your specific concern, it may help others.

With that, for seebee and others, attached, please find a scanned copy of the owner's manual and a letter to customers and service personnel that discusses air loss and bladder stretching.

Jim

Attachments

• Flair_Air_Bed_Owners_Manual.pdf
    157.9 KB · Views: 38
  • Flair_Customer_Service_and_Parts_Personnel.pdf
    38.8 KB · Views: 32

seabee

Thanks Jim for looking in to this and I will try and adding more air,if you know about the AC on these I had the unit freeze up and just had little air coming out now I have done some AC work on cars and if one freezes up it is that its low on freon,I shut it down for about 20 min and it worked fine outside temp only 79 here in Platte City Mo.
Oh yes we had a couple here that were from Arizona ask to see out unit as they have bought one like it in Los Vegas and they will be trading there TT in on there 3670RL we hope to talk with them more.
Thanks again for the help Jim

jbeletti

seabee,

With regard to your AC freezing up, it's possible that the freeze sensor could be improperly placed up inside the unit. No idea how this works but I know that some inspections were done on coaches at the rally and some were found to have the sensor in the wrong position. Not even sure what it looks like.

Consider posting your AC matter in the Bighorn Appliance forum.

Jim

C

Chulinw

SeeBee, On my 3400RL the a/c keep freezing up and it was low on freon and the unit was replace after having it only two months. After I got the new unit it work great and keep the 5er nice and cool. I did install a second a/c because of the hot summer months in FL and it sure did help keep the unit really nice and cool. I also think it help out from taking the complete load off the ducted unit some.

seabee

Hey Jim it only happen once but on a new unit in the heat thats the only time I want it to happen but thanks for your help I feel the support of the Heartland RV Forum has put my mind at ease being able to ask and receive knowledge we are heading to Colorado in two weeks and I'm going to have Camper World in Denver look at it,I will call for an appointment to check it out.
I hope the Rally was a success sounds like you made many some good contacts.
Bud

jbeletti

Bud,

Take Heartland's Customer Service number (574-262-8030) with you to Camping World and insist they call for approval before they do any work. That way, you can get it covered under warranty and hopefully have Camping World bill Heartland directly for warranty recovery.

Travel safe and happy RVing!

Jim

Had the same problem with my air bed. After two trips we finally got our dealer to order a new bed. We haven't got it yet but the original one leaked from the start. We were told you had to air it up at least twelve times to get the streatch out of it. We did and it didn't work. After our son had to sleep on the floor I wasn't very happy with the service on the bed. If the bed need aired up twelve times, that should be done before it leaves the factory, not by the customer. That is a bunch of BS anyway. We'll see how the new one works.
Freddie
3370RL Bighorn
2500HD Duramax
Airlift

davebennington

Freddie,

If you were at the rally you would have had a chance to see the beds being made at the factory (Flair ind.). I was amazed to see how fast they put these things togeather, if memory serves they produce 1 every 6 minutes, the air mattress is sent to them and they install it. Given the time they have alotted to assemble there isn't time to inflate each one.

Dave

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
Tomnpam
We have only hand my 3400RL for a couple of months. I researched for a long time and just retunred from the Rally in Goshen. We love the trailer dollar for dollar we think is it is the best out there. The company support is #1 and we definately would buy another BH. We are advising our friends to purchase BH I guess that say how we feel!
Good Luck
Wayne

madigand

I too had problems with my original air bed. Heartland contacted Flair and they sent me a new improved version. No problems since. I am very happy with the Bighorn and the Great Factory Service I have received.