Question About Progressive EMS Protector

bighorn3370

This past weekend was the first time I was able to plug my BH into a 50 amp service since I put in the Progressive EMS protector. It would not show a fault code other then E 0. When I went to turn the A/C on, it would shut the power off. Then it would reset and be fine. After playing around in the dark for a bit, I moved on with no A/C for the weekend. I also couldn't keep the time set on the microwave, it would clear itself after a couple minutes. If I had low voltage, should the display read some thing other then E 0? Before this trip, I was able to run my A/C at the house on a 15 amp circuit. Thanks! -Ernie

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Ernie, I would give Progressive Industries a call and explain your situation. I have talked to them in the past and they were vey helpful.

Progressive Industries
919-462-8280

Peace
Dave

Morrisville, NC 27560
919-462-8280

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Is this the hardwired or plug-in variety of Progressive unit? Is there a problem at the pedestal? I agree, however, call Progressive. My unit (hardwired) has worked as advertised since being installed in early 2009.

bighorn3370

John, it is the hardwired. I am going to call them today. I was thinking it was the pedestal also. I will update after talking to Progressive. I
was fishing for a little infomation, hoping I was just missing some thing. Thanks for the reply! -Ernie

bighorn3370

I called Progressive to day. After talking to them, I should have done two things. Frist look for the "PE" code not the "E0" code. Second I should have called their after hour techical support. As I had tought The Jeff the Tec. at Progressive was thinking it was a low voltage. Thanks Ernie

JohnDar

I called Progressive to day. After talking to them, I should have done two things. Frist look for the "PE" code not the "E0" code. Second I should have called their after hour techical support. As I had tought The Jeff the Tec. at Progressive was thinking it was a low voltage. Thanks Ernie

Ah so! When mine activates and then the power restores, it does display the E0 code again, but also retains and displays the PE code indicating the previous event. When you shut off the pedestal breaker and turn it back on, the PE code clears. If you just shut off the main breaker inside the trailer, it does not clear it since the breaker is after the suppressor.

Rodney_M

i seen on a different thread that someone was using a ems detector, and had to move like5-6 times to find a spot that was not giving improper electrical error.. i think it was something with the ground wire. I have been considering adding one to my RV, but sort of concerned that I may be running on battery more than power if this device finds morepower connections unsuitable than work, and simply shut off the power.

How often are you running into issues with the power with this detector running? and yes I know it is a safety feature for sure, better to be safe without power than with, I guess I am more curious as to how sensitive they are or if almost overly sensitive and prevent you from using power that might really be ok just not within its tolerances.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Just some advise. I would rather have the EMS shut down an electrical problem than have things burn up like the converter and microwave etc. We always use the EMS and it has saved us a number of times.

Rodney_M

jmgratz, I agree with you 110%.. better to err on the side of caution.. i have it in my plans to have a permanent one added. guess i was more curious as to how often those using it are running into issues with power at the sites.. how many campgrounds are in need of repairs to the connections.. i bet quite a few.. and there are many who use a connection totally unaware of there being a power problem day after day. i wager a large % of campers arent privvy to this and many other camping dangers so to speak that should be in every campers "basics handbook" if there was one.

jimtoo

I have been using an EMS that I plug into the service at the site for about 3 years now. It has only told me low voltage 1 time at a park. It did cut the power once and saved me from a power surge.,,, So I still think it was worth the money.

Jim M

jmgratz

One thing I would like to mention is no matter how great the power is at the pedestal or how safe the rv power is the one thing you or the campground cannot control is the quality of the electric service that is coming from the power company. Remember the power company is subject to surges and brownouts too.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
i seen on a different thread that someone was using a ems detector, and had to move like5-6 times to find a spot that was not giving improper electrical error.. i think it was something with the ground wire. I have been considering adding one to my RV, but sort of concerned that I may be running on battery more than power if this device finds morepower connections unsuitable than work, and simply shut off the power.

How often are you running into issues with the power with this detector running? and yes I know it is a safety feature for sure, better to be safe without power than with, I guess I am more curious as to how sensitive they are or if almost overly sensitive and prevent you from using power that might really be ok just not within its tolerances.

The simple answer is, if it's not within the unit's tolerances...then the power is BAD, no question!

We've used a hardwired Progessive 50amp EMS since we bought this rig new in July of 2007...it has protected our coach MANY times. Everything from low voltage (we carry an autoformer to correct that issue), high voltage to even high frequency...any of these situations can damage your electronics and you won't even know it's happening until too late.

We've had to move several times, usually due to high frequency, as you can't correct that other than wait for lots more rigs to come in and drain off power....although at times it can be inconvenient when power keeps being interupted, I also consider all those around us who have no idea what's happening to their rigs, and then just deal with it...just my two-cents...

porthole

Retired
Agree, better to have the EMS disconnect because of low voltage then to try and run AC compressors on too low of a supply - they will fail.

JohnDar

I haven't had a problem with frequent shut-downs, and my rig is on shore power all summer. About the only time we've lost power is when there have been storms in the area that have knocked out more than just the park. This campground owner is VERY active in the maintenance and upkeep of his park.

bighorn3370

This was the first time it shut the power off. The way I see it, it just saved me from buying an a/c compressor. We just lived without a/c for the weekend. It only shut it off when I was trying to run the a/c. I also do not think I was on a true 50 amp service. I was plugged in last year to this outlet without my ems, and I bet I was running on low voltage. Ernie

jmgratz

I haven't had a problem with frequent shut-downs, and my rig is on shore power all summer. About the only time we've lost power is when there have been storms in the area that have knocked out more than just the park. This campground owner is VERY active in the maintenance and upkeep of his park.

John, just a thought. Maybe the campground owner is very active in the upkeep of the park but can the campground owner control the quality of the power service the electric company is feeding to the park? I think not. IMHO you are very lucky not to have had a problem with surges or brown outs and it is a question of when it will happen not if it will happen. Good luck!

JohnDar

John, just a thought. Maybe the campground owner is very active in the upkeep of the park but can the campground owner control the quality of the power service the electric company is feeding to the park? I think not. IMHO you are very lucky not to have had a problem with surges or brown outs and it is a question of when it will happen not if it will happen. Good luck!

And that's why one of the first things I had installed in my rig before we took possession was a Progressive EMS-HW50C surge protector. Page 3 of the manual lists the things it protects against, including under and over voltage situations.

jmgratz

And that's why one of the first things I had installed in my rig before we took possession was a Progressive EMS-HW50C surge protector. Page 3 of the manual lists the things it protects against, including under and over voltage situations.

That is great...IMHO it should be standard equipment on all new RVs. Everyone should have one.

ckrspan5

I recently purchased a portable Progressive EMS Protecter, it was working great, then it started constantly showing PE08. I checked several other posts in the campgrund and received the same Error Code. It would not allow power to come through. Fortunately another camper in the campground claimed he had a lot of experience with these protectors. He said while they worked great, there is one major flaw that is not addressed by Progressive Industries. The flaw is that they units are NOT waterproof and if you are not carefull you can get moisture build up inside the housing allowing it to collect on the circuit board and cause an false error code.
Sure enough when I opened the box there was moisture inside. I carefully blew out the moisture with an airhose, left the box open to completely dry out overnight. The next day I ran a silicone bead around the lip of the box and re assembled it. I rechecked the connections on the same posts that I had gotten a PE08 on previously and I now had no errors. The problem was the moisture build up inside the box and collecting on the circuit board thereby causing an erronious fault reading.

I used the protector continuosly for three weeks at several different parks after that with excellent results. I did experience one park that did have fluctuating voltage problems. I now will not ever plug in again without using the protector. I also am very cautious to ensure that I have the protecter very well protected from the possibility of having moisture seep into the unit. I usually cover it with a plastic bag to protect it from rain etc.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
It's funny this subject has come up again. We also had experience where the EMS shut down the system in our new coach. 3 weeks ago in a campground we have camped in many many time, our EMS started shutting the system off. This is the first time we had installed an EMS on a coach so we were very confused but started checking stuff and found out that the voltage into the park was very low. The EMS was reading only about 105-106 volts, shutting the system down. Other coaches with the system was having the same problem. Unfortunately it was out of the owner's hands cuz they could not control what the power co. was doing such as the brown outs which we found out later in the news.