Anyone use the BatteryMINDer to keep your batterys charged?

marc515

Looking for a way to keep our MPG battery charged without having to keep MPG pluged in 24/7.

I'm thinking that something like the BatteryMINDer would be better, plus save the onboard charging system.

However, can I used the Batteryminder and keep the battery hooked up so I can use the lights and slide-out; will it do any damage to the on-board circuitry?

Your insight is appreciated; thank you!

Yellowreef

I had issues with my M18 draining the batteries rather quickly when not in use. I installed an inexpensive disconnect between the batteries and the converter and it worked like a charm. No battery drain, they stay completely charged up between uses. Just an option to think about.

gmc

Reitired - California-Central Chapter Leaders
I put a cut off switch on the neg. side of my battery. it sits for a month or two and the batteries stay charged. a lot of your equip is probably hard wired like the carbon monoxide detector, if it has a radio with a continuous display this too draws juice. as they continually run so goes your battery. I personally don't think the battery tender would hurt your circuit boards. only my opinion someone else will probably chime in.

hoefler

A battery tender does not have enough out put to keep up with some of the continuous loads, LP gas leak detector, carbon monoxide/smoke detector, keep alive circuits on your radio, refrigerator, fans, etc... Your best bet is to leave it plugged in or disconnect the batteries.

camr

I think Marc is perhaps referring to the times that the trailer is parked or stored between trips. In that case, the fridge and fans would not be running, I would assume. We use a small charger very similar to the batteryminder to keep the batteries charged when parked at home. The charger came with a set of leads to connect to the batteries and a quick disconnect in line. When we return from a trip, I connect the float charger and it more than capably handles the draw from the detectors and radio clock. I found that if I kept the trailer's main electrical line plugged in to 110v at home for a few weeks that it would cause the batteries to lose liquid. If I had a charge wizard this would not happen, but I don't. The small float charger is the next best thing, and takes less than 30 seconds to connect.

marc515

Camr,......your response was spot on.

I think I will also use a battery disconnect switch; something like a Blue Sea Mini-Switch.

Thank you

nscaler2

Looking for a way to keep our MPG battery charged without having to keep MPG pluged in 24/7.

I'm thinking that something like the BatteryMINDer would be better, plus save the onboard charging system.

However, can I used the Batteryminder and keep the battery hooked up so I can use the lights and slide-out; will it do any damage to the on-board circuitry?

Your insight is appreciated; thank you!
We remove the battery from our 3055RL while it is stored for 7 months out of the year. I use a BatteryMINDer to keep it charged while it is in my home. Works great. When we put it back in the trailer it is fully charged and ready to go. No boiling out of the water while sitting during the 7 months. We got 5 years out of our original battery, and it was really not dead. I traded it just to be safe this spring because we were taking a 5000 mile trip and I just didn't want to have to possibly buy a battery while we were on the road. HIGHLY RECOMMEND BatteryMINDer.

We installed a battey disconnect switch and just turn the battery off when not in use or in storage. We havent had to charge our battery in 6 months and counting.

Nolacamper.

porthole

Retired
Motorcycle has a battery tender (brand name) on it whenever in the garage and not planning on riding the next day or 2.
Motorcycle trailer has a marine battery charger hardwired in. When I can I will plug it into the house monthly. I also have a 12 volt solar charger that will at times be left on the nose of the trailer.

The Cyclone has a battery disconnect that totally disconnects the battery. Cyclones have a "smart charger" in the converter, so it can be left on all time. During the season the trailer is almost always plugged into the house, easier then emptying the fridge all the time.
When it will not be used for some time the trailer is unplugged, the battery gets disconnected and monthly I will plug it in. I also will use the solar charger, letting it sit on the pin box.

Whatever charger you decide on, make sure it is designed to be left on continuously. Otherwise you will end up with a fried battery.