Refrigerator

lilriver

We went out in may and the ref worked 2 out of the 3 days we were camping, the day the temp went up into the 90's the ref went up to 52deg and following the munfacture instrustions to shut off the refrigerator till it could get worked on is what we did. So it went to the dealer for over a month with the refrigerator and no brakes, black water tank was leacking. Now we have it back, brakes are working barly, refrigerator still heats up to 52 degs, but it only heats up to 42 degs on propane. The heartland guy says this is ok because its a 105 temp outside. Has anyone had problems with their ref not working. sorry for any miss spelled words. Barry

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Barry, if you're getting 42 degrees in the fridge with an outside temp of 105, that's pretty good. Ya have to consider, it doesn't take much door opening and closing to exchange air in these small reefers. Hopefully your other issues have been resolved. The brakes will probably need adjusting and proper breaking in. By the way, what model reefer do you have? Is it in a slide out? Some Reefers in slide outs have been problematic because of a lack of good ventilation. They need air flowing across coils in the rear for the best operation.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
Several good threads on here about the junk dometic rm1350 unit. Lots of "fixes" on here too. Take and hour and enjoy.

readytohitheroad

it makes no sense that the excuse for the poor operation of these fridges is the fact that you opened the door to use them!!!
someone needs design a better appliance

traveler44

The temperature in our fridge only went up one time when we were traveling to a rally in 90+ weather. I only had it set at mid temperature. I usually run it on number three but if it doesn't cool enough I will go to number 4 or 5 until it cools down. There is a gizzmo that clamps onto the cooling fin that is supposed to give you a little adjustment too by sliding it up or down on the fin. Some guys who have the fridge- in the slide out- have added a fan at the upper vent to help circulate the air through the coils on the back of the fridge. The dometic guy at the rally said that you NEED enough room inside the fridge for air to circulate around, top to bottom and back, inside. Some people have small fans inside the fridge that help with this circulation and he said they were a good idea. Maybe they should build refrigerators with fans that circulate the air better. We have the model that has the temperature setting at the top inside the freezer door and has the readout above the freezer that tells which mode it is set on and the current temperature inside the fridge.

57chevyconvt

readytohittheroad, What model refer is in your new trailer and where is it located, i.e., in a slide or not. With this information, maybe we can be more help in providing some suggestions on solving your problem.
Some of us with the Dometic RM1350 with or w/out the ice maker have made several modifications in the way of additional fans and baffling to increase air flow across the top condenser coil. which according to Dometic is the key to assisting the larger units to perform as designed. As Kenny has noted above, quite a few threads on this subject. I have just recently added two new 8" fans to my unit.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The temperature in our fridge only went up one time when we were traveling to a rally in 90+ weather. I only had it set at mid temperature. I usually run it on number three but if it doesn't cool enough I will go to number 4 or 5 until it cools down. There is a gizzmo that clamps onto the cooling fin that is supposed to give you a little adjustment too by sliding it up or down on the fin. Some guys who have the fridge- in the slide out- have added a fan at the upper vent to help circulate the air through the coils on the back of the fridge. The dometic guy at the rally said that you NEED enough room inside the fridge for air to circulate around, top to bottom and back, inside. Some people have small fans inside the fridge that help with this circulation and he said they were a good idea. Maybe they should build refrigerators with fans that circulate the air better. We have the model that has the temperature setting at the top inside the freezer door and has the readout above the freezer that tells which mode it is set on and the current temperature inside the fridge.

That GIZMO is called a Thermister and is used to 'fine tune' the temperature setting. It is a 'set and forget' device. If I remember right up makes it colder and down makes it warmer.