Tow vehicle for 2950rk

Looking at the Big Country 2950RK for full timing. luv the layout etc but have 2 questions. hope someone can help.
What is the exact overall size of this unit - is it actually 33ft - end to end? (can't seem to locate a spec sheet)
Best vehicle to tow this with - we are wondering if a Chev 2500 will do the job with ease.

ChangingPlaces

The size of the 2950RK is 32'10 just under 10metres. We have a truck to tow our rig. A Chev or a Dodge 2500 will be fine to tow with. We love our rig, great layout and we are going to be full timers early next year. You won't be dissapointed.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Can't imagine having much difficulty towing the 2950 with the Chevy...is it gas or diesel? My only caution would be since you plan to full-time you may want to keep tabs on how much you load into the rig! Our Big Country has an incredible amount of storage space and I know if we used it all I would need probably need a D9 CAT to tow it ;)

HERE is a link to the Big Country specs if you haven't found it yet.

Good luck with your new rig. We really like our Big Country and very happy with it!

floridarandy

Before you buy look closely at the cost differential between the 2500 (3/4 ton) and 3500 (1 ton) trucks. Yes, you probably can make it work with a 2500 but if you could spend a small amount more (relative to the overall cost) why not have the extra margin....especially if you plan to fulltime. I haven't yet seen someone with an 3500 or 4500 regret having bought it and wish they had a 2500....but I have seen many, including myself, justifying (regretting) having purchased a 2500. Even if you dont' want to deal with dual axles you can find one tons in single rear axle configurations.

My 2 cents.

Looking at the Big Country 2950RK for full timing. luv the layout etc but have 2 questions. hope someone can help.
What is the exact overall size of this unit - is it actually 33ft - end to end? (can't seem to locate a spec sheet)
Best vehicle to tow this with - we are wondering if a Chev 2500 will do the job with ease.

thanks to all of you who have given advice. We are definately sold on the BC 2950RK and will get a 3500 diesel to pull with. "Floridarandy" a question for you - see u pull with a Ford - given the choice between a Ford 350 or a Chev 3500 which would u go for? We are coming to America to buy both the 5th and tow wagon so it makes no difference to us if we have to pay a little more to get the right setup. Afterall this will be our 'home'.
appreciate all the feedback. ;)

DW_Gray

Additional matter to consider. The side-rails on the the trucks are higher now than the old days. This creates problems with the 5th wheel height position and the the distance the RV is above the side-rails. There needs to be sufficient distance above the side-rails, yet you want to avoid having the RV nose too high if possible. So you may want to consider the truck with the lowest side-rails. Either truck is good, it's a matter of personal taste. On the other hand, I love my Ram 3500 and it's now the best tow vehicle in the 3500/350 models, IMO. You buy what you're going to like best.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We pulled a Big Country 3250 for 4 years with a Dodge 2500 diesel without any problems. We traded the 2500 for a 3500 2 years ago and love the Dodge truck. The reason we traded was because we were thinking about getting a bigger coach which we did 6 weeks ago. The 3500 is also being driven daily by DW, going back and forth to work. The 3500 doesn't get as good fuel mileage as the 2500 but the safety factor is worth it.

happykraut

The overall length of the 2950RK is 32'10" with a GVWR of 14,000 pounds. It is measured from the king pin to the rear bumper. I would go with the Dodge 2500 for a tow vehicle. The Cummins diesel can't be beat, I have owned 3 of them.

floridarandy

thanks to all of you who have given advice. We are definately sold on the BC 2950RK and will get a 3500 diesel to pull with. "Floridarandy" a question for you - see u pull with a Ford - given the choice between a Ford 350 or a Chev 3500 which would u go for? We are coming to America to buy both the 5th and tow wagon so it makes no difference to us if we have to pay a little more to get the right setup. Afterall this will be our 'home'.
appreciate all the feedback. ;)

once you've made the decision to buy a 3500 i think its more a matter of "seeing and touching" the trucks to see what YOU like best in terms of layout, materials and conveniences. there can be thousands of dollars difference depending on when you buy during the year (dealer concessions, end of model year, etc) and which dealer wants the business.

if you google your question you'll find a lifetime of reading on the subject of "who's truck is best". even here there are plenty of opinions. trucks from all the manufacturers have had decades of engineering and for pulling purposes any will work just fine....its just what you LIKE BEST.

we bought our ford because we liked the King Ranch model with its saddle leather interior and my wife liked the color (get the point) :)? we also found a truck that was a year and a half old and had 28,000 miles which we could buy for almost 1/2 what a new one cost ($$). interestingly it was bought privately from a german family who'd bought it and a 5th wheel and used it for two 6 monthy trips over two years for vacation. they sold the truck because they had another child in the year after the last trip (now 4 kids) and needed a bench seat in front for the extra child. they kept the 5ver but bought a new truck.

have fun looking and be sure to post pictures after you've decided.

Randy and Karen in Florida