You Gotta Love California

DennisZ

I might be the only one that didn't know, but according to the California DMV, I don't have the proper license to tow my 5th Wheel Trailer.

I guy I was parked next to in Pahrump last weekend told me about the tow weight limits for California drivers, so I looked up the details today.

If your 5th wheel weighs between 10,000 and 15,000 lbs, you need to have a RECREATIONAL TRAILER ENDORSEMENT.
A driver must have a fifth-wheel recreational trailer endorsement
added to his/her Class C driver license to pull a fifth-wheel recreational
trailer over 10,000 lbs., but not over 15,000 lbs. GVWR, which is
not used for hire. This endorsement is not required if the driver has a
Class A or Noncommercial Class A driver license.
• There is no fee unless your license expires within six months.
• You will take a law test for a noncommercial Class A license based
on the information contained in this booklet. You must also pass the
Class C law test unless you qualified for a Class C license within the
past twelve months.
• You are​
not required to submit a Health Questionnaire.
• You are
not required to take a driving test to add a Recreational
Trailer endorsement to your current license.
• No other tests are required.

If you have a 5th wheel trailer over 15,000 lbs: You must have at least a Non-commercial Class A License, with the following requirements:​
To obtain an original noncommercial Class A license, you must:
• Complete an application for a driver license (DL 44).
• Pay the application fee.
• Submit a Health Questionnaire (DL 546) dated not more than two
years prior to the date of your application.
• Pass the basic Class C law test (unless you qualified for a Class C
license within the past 12 months).
• Pass the Noncommercial Class A Vehicles test.
• Pass a vision test.
• Pass a pre-trip inspection test.
• Pass the skills test.
• Pass a driving test towing the type of vehicle you wish to tow.

I was surprised, guess I need to make an appointment to take the test. If you were in an accident, your insurance company as well as the CHP could have fun with you. It will be interesting to see if any other states have similar laws.

Here is a link for the full document http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl648/dl648.pdf

Dennis:eek:

tdharley

NY:
Class D allows you to drive passenger cars and trucks with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,000 pounds or less, or a vehicle that tows another vehicle (such as a trailer) that has a maximum gross weight of 10,000 pounds or less. Class D drivers may tow a vehicle with a GVWR of more than 10,000 pounds only if the combined weight rating of the two vehicles is 26,000 pounds or less

DaleR

"Hi" Denniz
Yes it's true about the endorsement on the class C. I went to the local DMV about two months ago, and they didn't know what I was talking about. To make a long story short, it took three trips to DMV, and one trip to the HWY patrol, and a whole lot of frustration to be legal. But I finally got a class C lic with an endorsement.
Packer

Uncle Rog

Packer, did you have to take a test? Looks like we are almost neighbors, do you store your rig at the lot @ the 60 / 10 jct? I saw a BH ther once..
UR

BluegrassMan

Wow, CA takes themselves pretty serious. Here in Pa, we still have Amish with horse and buggys. I guess the "original" RVers. Ha Ha ;o)

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
hi Denniz

In British Columbia we have to get a "51" endorsment on my class 5 license. If 4700 kg or 10140 lbs you need it. Mine you that is the loaded wheels wieght for the tower vehicle.
Did mine. A written exam then a full class 1 walkaround then a 40 minute drive with the examiner. Not bad. Now if we can get the large class A drivers to do the same...

DaleR

"Hi UNCLE ROC"
Yes had to take a written test only (Banning DMV) some basic class A stuff not to hard. DMV on the internet has some good practice tests that help a lot. Also the Banning office has good knowldge on what to do now.
Not my unit, we have the BC and it's at my daughters home right now. Been doing a lot of work getting our yard ready to bring it home where it belongs.
Packer.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Hi folks, straight from the California DMV still in effect now in 2008 is the following:

Recreational Trailer Endorsement

A driver must have a fifth-wheel recreational trailer endorsement added to his/her Class C driver license to pull a fifth-wheel recreational trailer over 10,000 lbs., but not over 15,000 lbs. GVWR, which is not used for hire. This endorsement is not required if the driver has a Class A or Noncommercial Class A driver license.
  • You will take a law test for a noncommercial Class A license based on the information contained in this booklet. You must also pass the Class C law test unless you qualified for a Class C license within the past twelve months.
  • You are not required to submit a Health Questionnaire.
  • You are not required to take a driving test to add a Recreational Trailer endorsement to your current license.

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Guess I'm glad Ray keeps his class A commercial current? More of the nanny government CA is so fond of. Anybody see any sense in this endorsement when it's not tied to a test? Like reading about astronauts makes you qualified to be one? LOL

DennisZ

The only time it will probably be an issue is when the lawyers get involved if you have a serious accident, My guess is that you could be found at fault for not being properly licensed to drivr that vehicle combination.

Just my thinkin....

Dennis

bnunn11

It's true. Good luck finding someone smart enough at the DMV to know what you are talking about! They actually had to call Sacramento DMV to get the right test/forms etc. The test is a joke. You can fail the test, then ask to take the exact same test immediately. Unless you suffer from extreme short-term memory loss you will pass the second time. I was fortunate enough to nail it the first time with 1 incorrect answer.

I have a friend that's a CHP officer and he says that they are targeting 5er's with CA plates just to check that the driver has this endorsement. It's called "revenue enhancement!"

Larryheadhunter

Well it happened to me earlier this year in Tulare County and it's a $10 fix it ticket. Went to Mariposa DMV and they also had to call Sac DMV for the right test which bnumm's comments were right on. Btw, passed the first time as well.

Delaine and Lindy

Just a money gimmick, we will see more and more of this. A written test isn't enough to test a persons ability to drive a rig. Don't feel bad when they started the Commerical Lic (CDL) we didn't think it was nothing more than a way to get more money and we were right. State and local governments are doing everything they can to get more money. Just go and take the test and pay the man. Just remember you put them in office you can take them out. I will tell you my commerical Lic. CDL Class A with indorsements cost much more and thats not counting the Physical. Just another hoop to jump thru. Good Luck. GBY.....

Shadowchek

I went to Modesto Dmv to take the test for the endorsement and the lady at the info counter said good luck with anyone knowing what you are talking about. They researched it for a while then gave me a test. They used the wrong correction sheet to correct it at first when they finally got that right I passed missing only one. I went over it in the book and I swear I got that one right too. Oh well I passed and I am legal.

Greg

Larryheadhunter

Mark, just read this thread and all your questions will be answered. I have copied from the DMV in CA the following rules for 5th wheel RV endorsement requirements:

If your 5th wheel weighs between 10,000 and 15,000 lbs, you need to have a RECREATIONAL TRAILER ENDORSEMENT.

A driver must have a fifth-wheel recreational trailer endorsement
added to his/her Class C driver license to pull a fifth-wheel recreational
trailer over 10,000 lbs., but not over 15,000 lbs. GVWR, which is
not used for hire. This endorsement is not required if the driver has a
Class A or Noncommercial Class A driver license.
• You are​
not required to submit a Health Questionnaire.
• You are
not required to take a driving test to add a Recreational
Trailer endorsement to your current license.

If you have a 5th wheel trailer over 15,000 lbs: You must have at least a Non-commercial Class A License, with the following requirements:​
To obtain an original noncommercial Class A license, you must:
• Complete an application for a driver license (DL 44).
• Pay the application fee.
• Submit a Health Questionnaire (DL 546) dated not more than two
years prior to the date of your application.
• Pass the basic Class C law test (unless you qualified for a Class C
license within the past 12 months).
• Pass the Noncommercial Class A Vehicles test.
• Pass a vision test.
• Pass a pre-trip inspection test.
• Pass the skills test.
• Pass a driving test towing the type of vehicle you wish to tow.

Here is a link for the full document http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl648/dl648.pdf
Just go down to your local DMV and read the booklet on RV's and TT's and take the test. It's a breeze.