campgrounds near Texas State Fair

Can anyone recommend a reasonable and safe campground accessable to the State Fair in Dallas? I've heard the area is not safe, so we're willing to camp within an hour's drive.

jimtoo

Hi Rhonda and Doug,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed. I see you have been a member for quite a while, hopefully you have been lurking around and gaining some knowledge about us.

I can't think of someplace very close, but someone from the area will jump in soon and give you the information.

Jim M

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Don't know the proximity to the Fairgrounds, but south of Dallas is a great State Park called Cedar Creek. Whenever we work in that area, that's where we stay. Depending on what you have, you might not fit in every site, but we've never had a problem finding a spot for our 39 footer....

hcriddle

Mill Creek RV Resort in Canton, TX is about an hour east of Dallas depending on traffic. It is a very nice park.

trvlrerik

The KOA in Arlington on Cooper Rd. is a good location if you want to be close to the "loop" around Dallas for access to the entire city. It is a tight location and not very big rig friendly,and the trees pretty much eliminate satilite dish reception, but if you are comfortable in tight places the campground is nice and quiet once you are in your spot.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Where are you driving to Dallas from? That might help us help you.

Yes, I agree, around Fair Park it is not a great neighborhood.

Mill Creek RV Resort in Canton, TX is about an hour east of Dallas depending on traffic. It is a very nice park.

Mill Creek RV Resort is a great place... but it is about an hour east of the Dallas City Limit, but more like 1.75 to 2 hours to the State Fair, depending on Dallas traffic.

There is also Bluebonnet Ridge on I-20 near Terrell, TX east of Dallas, but again, this is about an hour from the State Fair.

We haven't stayed at Cedar Creek State Park, but scoped it out for a future visit. If you are good with backing, it looks like a nice park, with lots of sites. A little note about Texas State Parks... You can make a reservation, but they do not reserve you a specific site... it is first come, first served the day you arrive... you pick your own site. And hopefully you'll find one you like.

Erika

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We've stayed at Bluebonnet Ridge in Terrell a few times. Nice quiet park.

Y'all are so nice! We are coming up from Hockley (just west of Houston).
I'll have to spend some time on here to figure out how to put our info on about our Big Country, truck, etc. Doug can put it anywhere and I'll check out the campsites y'all recommend. We are getting several folks together, so might need a variety of sites at the same campgrounds.
I confess I need to look at a map to get my bearings on where Fair Park is in relation to the campgrounds. We have camped on the grounds at Canton and I have a good idea where Terrell is. Better step it up to get sites before October.

TravelTiger

There is Cedar Hill State Park in Cedar Hill. They now have 50 amp and sewer in a couple of sections.

Yes, this is the park we visited, at Joe Pool Lake. My mistake.

When are you coming up for the State Fair? You might want to combine it with a visit to the Texas Chapter Heartland Rally in Canton, TX Oct 7-9.

Click here for details.

Last edited:

TXBobcat

Fulltime
State Fair Park is located at 32.78050N 96.76718W. It is crowded that time of year (Sept 30 thru Oct 23 2011 State Fair Dallas). Be careful where you park. Inside the park is ok but some outside the park can be risky.

Here are some maps of the area.

State Fair Park at Dallas.JPG State Fair Dallas TX.JPG

BC

TravelTiger

Bobcat is right, don't park outside the fairgrounds. You want to be inside the fenced area of the park, no matter how many folks wave their flags to their front yard!:rolleyes:

We're still in the planning stages, but are looking at opening weekend 9/23, 24. We'll take the rally into consideration. I've been interested in coming to one, maybe we could work that out - thanks for the suggestion. And Cedar Hill looks like the best option for the state fair. We pay on this camper 12 months & use it one weekend per year, so going twice within a month would sure be a nice change.

Thanks for the maps - printed out both.
A friend said their car was broken into & a gun stolen (ironically brought for protection) while parked there about 15 years ago showing their hogs. It can't have improved.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Some parking outside the park are legit but there has been the time that some guys sold places in a yard and then left. I seemed it was not their yard and the owner had the cars towed.
I woluld suggest you go there early to get a place to park. It will be busy. They always have some great food. We found a recipe for rice and beans that is very good. We also like to go get a couple of cinnamon rolls when we go there.

BC

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I use my 2011 Streets & Trips and found a list of campgrounds. I have stayed at a few of them. I have not found a lot of campgrounds that are good here but a few are new. Of course the one in Canton is new and great. Our rally will be held there in Oct.

I don't know what the going rate is for the campgrounds but you can check that out.
The Vinyards is suppose to be real nice. Might be a be expensive.
Traders village is good. My cousin stays there for the Dallas Cowboys home games.
The Texan RV Ranch is nice.
The Cedar Hill State park is nice. You can stay at Joe Pool Lake rv park. We went to a rally here.

I am not sure about the rest.

Hope this helps.

Dallas Campgrounds.JPG

BC