5th Wheel Hitch

gonervn

Bill & Sallie
Currently have a 16k Reese hitch and would like to upgrade to an 18 or 20k hitch. I ,would like to keep the same rails if possible. Does anyone have any suggestions? There is only one or two places in our area where you can purchase hitches, so I would like to here suggestions from others.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
What is the reason to upgrade to a bigger hitch? I've got the 16K Reese and don't have a problem with it.

SGeohagan

We had a 15k husky slider before I bought the BH. I upgraded to a 20K Curt. What I have found is that the rails are pretty much universal. I like the way the Curt feels, but takes some getting use to when hooking up and uncoupling.

ncc1701e

I've been very pleased with the Curt 20K hitch. Easy to break apart into two pieces and remove from the truck for those times you'd like to haul something in the bed. Broken down each piece weights maybe 75# to 85# leaving just the rails in the bed.

2011 F250 Lariat 4x4 Bed Cover Rolled.JPG

noobee

I have a 18K Signature Series (Draw-Tite / Reese) that is for sale. PM me if you are interested. I'm in southern Alberta.

CS

mountain1

Sometimes I get very confused trying to decide what is correct. I have a 16K Husky hitch and pull a Razor toyhauler. I have pulled it about 2 1/2 years and everything seems to be working great. yet if many seem to be going to bigger hitches should I? I recently went to 16 inch Michelon tires from 15 inch. I pulled it to Mo. and back and all went well. I check the axles etc often and they seem to be fine, and just bought a temp. gage as recommended on this forum to checktire heat. My tires are now to close together to use the X chocks so I am coming up with something different. Then you have all the different brands of hitches and I understand it can become a question of which is best Chevy or Ford but one wants to be safe.
I want to be safe and efficent but it is hard to tell what is necessary and what is nice and what is fluff.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
R U talking about the pinbox on the 5er or the hitch in the truck? I have a Husky Trailer Saver hitch (the one with the air bags in it) and love it. It replaced a Draw Tite hitch. Hopefully the air bag in the hitch will help cushion the bad roads we have to drive on to keep the frame flex to a minimum.