hitch weights

PhotoPete

I am thinking ahead a year or two, to a time when I purchase something like a Grand Canyon, as I spec out a new truck I am looking at. The question of hitch weight has me scratching my head.

Naturally the dealer is useless and just says "oh yea, no problem"

The hitch weight of a new Grand Canyon is listed as 2,295. the foot note on the chevy hd2500 says no more than 3000. so far so good. if I add stuff to the nose of the trailer like clothing, washer and dryer, whatever else, will that be directly added to the 2,295 or could I expect that some of that added weight gets carried by the axels?

Sorry for such a simple question, but I have never pulled a fifth wheel before. I want to be sure I get the right truck in advance.

Thanks for the advice
PhotoPete

danemayer

I've got a GMC 3500 and am towing a Rushmore. The Rushmore empty pin weight is 2600. With generator, washer/dryer, full basement, full closet, etc. the actual pin weight is 3000. The payload rating for the 3500 is around 4000 which allows for me, my wife, 35 gals of diesel, the hitch, some tools and other junk, and the 3000 pin weight. I am maxed out.

The 3/4 ton truck with single rear wheels has a lesser payload - 3000 sounds about right. But that has to include you, your passengers, fuel, hitch, tools, etc. as well as the pin weight.

That said, there are many people on this forum pulling Bighorns and Landmarks with 3/4 ton trucks.

There's only about $1000 difference in price between the 3/4 ton and 1 ton GMC/Chevy truck. Get the 1 ton.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
The empty hitch weight is only a brochure spec and never what the actual pin weight will be on your truck. Ours worked out to be 2480lb fully loaded ready to camp (we do not carry water in the tanks). That is about 17% of the trailers GVWR. I believe a general rule of thumb is to figure about 20% of the trailers GVWR to get a ballpark pin weight. In your case, considering you are looking at Landmarks and purchasing a new truck, I would get the 1 ton.

Best Wishes!

Birchwood

You will exceed the GVWR of a 3/4 ton truck hauling a Grand Canyon.I you exceed the GVWR of your
vehicle and are involved in an accident many bad things could happen like your insuance company
backing away from the claim.Many RV ers are overloaded and everything is great until something
happens.Look for the GVWR stamp on your door frame and don't exceed that value.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Consider that my 3670 has a published pin weight of 2065 lbs. Weighed at Goshen, it was 2950 lbs. That's with a washer/dryer and our clothing, along with the junk in the basement we normally have. And we don't full time.

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
Weighed mine (RL3055 BH) at the Nashville Rally and had 3050# on the hitch. Both axels were balanced with only 100# difference from side to side.

PhotoPete

Crap... The real deal is that I can't get a truck any bigger than an extended cab / standard box in the garage. If i go with a 3500 I would have to drop down to the regular cab. I don't want to do that. Perhaps i'll just have to get a slightly lighter trailer. I was digging the Grand Canyon though.

JohnDar

The truck won't die if it has to sit out on the driveway. Mine sits out there all year long.

PhotoPete

The truck won't die if it has to sit out on the driveway. Mine sits out there all year long.

My baby needs a nice warm and dry bed at night. OK so maybe I just want a warm place to sit, on those dark winter mornings. Your just up the road from me. I feel sorry for your poor cold truck!

JohnDar

My baby needs a nice warm and dry bed at night. OK so maybe I just want a warm place to sit, on those dark winter mornings. Your just up the road from me. I feel sorry for your poor cold truck!

Actually, my home is about 200 miles south of you, near Flint. As for the cold tush, that's what remote start and heated seats are for:cool:. When I need to get going quick in the winter (like zero dark thirty and someone's house is on fire), I pull the wife's car out of the garage.