Refrigerator Options

wdk450

This Thread is addressed to the Design Teams and Management at Heartland RV's:

How about being the first in the RV business to recognize that "Camping" without electrical hookups is the exception, not the standard, in RV stays today? Sell all Heartland RV's with a STANDARD freon compressor refrigerator with an inverter hookup to the 12 volt battery system, and make the dual powered ammonia absorbsion (more expensive) refrigerator an OPTION! This is going to reduce sticker price, increase customer satisfaction with the overall product, and reduce warranty claims.

hogan

Past Mississippi Chapter Leader (Founding)
I think this idea is a good one. Maybe I will look at a conversion process.

wdk450

Here is a quote on the subject from my favorite website on RV ammonia adsorbsion refrigerators:
"[SIZE=-1]AC/DC Compressor Style. The AC/DC compressor refrigerator can be run up to 30º out of level and requires only minimal ventilation. Operating on 120 volt, it will pull between 0.4 and 0.975 amps, depending on the size of the refrigerator. The 12 volt amp range is between 3.5 and 6.0 amps. This style refrigerator, which uses a motor, can only be operated on electricity, not propane.
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Then Why? Why do probably more than 95% of RVs come with the propane style refrigerator, when they are so inefficient on 12 volt and so temperamental? The answer is: propane. With standard propane tanks, an RV with a propane refrigerator can go for weeks without the benefit of any hook ups. [/SIZE]