ceiling fan

artsbighorn

i have a 2008 bighorn 3670RL. my problem is when i use the fan for a long time the motor heat's up and it give's off a bad odor.I know that the ceiling is not level when we are set up & there for the fan is not level ether .could this make the fan run hot?mine also make's noise that is annoying to my WIFE who has very keen hearing.Any idea's ?
Art W.

Ellie

We have the same rig with the same fan. I feel your wife's pain with the annoying whine this fan makes while running at any speed. (DH is oblivious to the noise, apparently!) My dilemna has been to find a fan unit that is compatible with fitting into that space with the slides closed so the blades clear the top of the slides. I would even settle for one with no light. Our stick home has seven ceiling fans located in various rooms or entryways and not one makes my ears cringe like the one in our beloved Moose. Perhaps someone out there in blog land who has found a suitable replacement in a 2008 3670RL will share the information?
p.s. My electrical genius son tells me that when I smell something hot while using electrical ANYTHING, I am to turn it OFF and not use it again until he fixes it! (And his non-electrical genius father is not to touch it, either.)

RAHanock

The fan in our Sundance did not move much air either - we couldn't feel much cooling effect even on high. I lowered the fan about 3 inches and now it is much more usable for cooling. To do this I used longer screws and a second electrical box to preserve the fan mounting. Then placed a painted tube of aluminum around the new box for aesthetics. And there is still plenty of clearance between the blades when the slide is in.

jimtoo

Hi RAHancock,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed. I see you have been a member for a while. Don't be a stranger.

Yes, it helps to lower the ceiling fan a little, but everyone needs to be careful of the slide. I could only lower mine about 1" and now, due to age the blades have arched a little more and I must make sure the one blade is turned correctly when I bring in my slide.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We are using our fan at this moment in TX where it is over 100* outside. It is quite and does move plenty of air. In fact in the late evening I have to turn it off because the air is so cool.

It does have some sound when it first starts off and then becomes quite after a few minutes.

BC

archbarb

On our BC the fan moves air very well and is very quite. As of yet, we've not had any issues with it!!!!!

Archie

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We have the same rig with the same fan. I feel your wife's pain with the annoying whine this fan makes while running at any speed. (DH is oblivious to the noise, apparently!) My dilemna has been to find a fan unit that is compatible with fitting into that space with the slides closed so the blades clear the top of the slides. I would even settle for one with no light. Our stick home has seven ceiling fans located in various rooms or entryways and not one makes my ears cringe like the one in our beloved Moose. Perhaps someone out there in blog land who has found a suitable replacement in a 2008 3670RL will share the information?
p.s. My electrical genius son tells me that when I smell something hot while using electrical ANYTHING, I am to turn it OFF and not use it again until he fixes it! (And his non-electrical genius father is not to touch it, either.)

We replaced the fan in our '08 3600 RL with a 52" Harbor Breeze, flush mount, five bladed fan from Lowe's. It just fits into the recess and clears the slide, by a fraction of an inch, but that's all you need. Moves MUCH more are than the original and makes NO noise at all.

In addition, we swapped out the on/off switch in the cabinet with a "knob" that turns it off AND has speed adjustments...now we don't even need to use the chain on the fan. Just turn the knob "on" and move from high to lower speeds all in one, easily accessible spot.

dalspot

We recently replaced the original canister-mounted 4-blade fan in our new Sundance that did nothing with a 44" Hunter 5-blade fan on a short downrod. I have to turn it off when I'm cooking because it'll blow the burner out! I was concerned about the change but it seems to be fine. The original fan was NOT level as it was installed on the sloped ceiling - I honestly don't know how it was running properly. Hanging it on a downrod took care of that. We also put a piece of foam water pipe insulation around the downrod to minimize the movement going down the road. We have plenty of room above the slides still.

Karen

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Sorry Art, no help here. Our fan is five years old. Still works like new and very quiet. When we set up for the season, the fan runs 24 hours a day for 5 to 6 months at a time. I would try using compressed air and clean out the motor by blowing into the vent holes.
Any flush mount fan should be an acceptable replacement. Westinghouse makes a nice little 6 blade 30" turbo style fan. We just put one in the kitchen of our house.

Jimmy

I lowered my Fan yesterday, removed old 1.5" deep octagon electrical box and replaced it with a 2" deep octagon box and then put a 1.5" box extender on that. Put it all back together, added 2" total. Works much better and barley clears slid.

artsbighorn

i still have not seen any comment about the fan not being level when it is running.when my 3670RL is level the ceiling & the fan are not.my ? is if the fan is not level,will that make it run hot and cause a bad odor?

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
i still have not seen any comment about the fan not being level when it is running.when my 3670RL is level the ceiling & the fan are not.my ? is if the fan is not level,will that make it run hot and cause a bad odor?

Not sure why yours would not "sit level" when the trailer is level...it sits just fine in my '08 3600, which is basically the same unit as yours...just a slightly different floorplan...

Jimmy

Mine does not sit level, the ceiling and fan slant from front (higher) to back (lower). Fan works great since I lowered it.

Last edited:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Most ceiling fans have a winter/summer setting for the blade spin direction. Whatever it is, I just switched mine to a clockwise rotation and the difference in air movement is very noticeable. In the opposite direction, it didn't move any air. Now you can actually feel in on low speed. It's not a hurricane, but you might try that before replacing it.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Art, is the ceiling level in the area where the fan is mounted? OR is the fan mounted out of plumb? I wouldn't think a degree or two out of plumb would cause any motor or bearing issues with the fan but it should be level. If you're getting an odor from the fan, my guess is you have a bad fan motor and it's time for a new fan. There are plenty of options for replacements, just measure how much clearance you have available with the slides retracted and start shopping. Since you have a wall switch to shut off power, it should be a piece of cake.

If you ceiling isn't level, maybe your front to rear coach leveling is off a bit ???

dalspot

Our fan was not mounted level either - as the ceiling slopes upward in the kitchen area where it is mounted. Had nothing to do with the levelness of the coach.

It seemed to run fine, but moved NO air as it was just too close to the ceiling. What a difference the newer 5-blade fan on the 2" downrod made!

Karen