31QBS - Heating the bunkroom

Akbuckeye

I posted this in the "General" area - just found this forum specifically for the North Trail's - thought maybe there would be more activity here: Here was my post (currently in the General Heating" area)

New 31QBS (2010) owner; I did not realize the lack of heating vent in the bunkhouse until after purchase. I am wondering if anyone has tried to create an adaquate work-around for this problem. We were out 6 days and that bunkhouse gets cold with the door closed. I tried attaching a 4" dryer vent hose at night connecting the vent that is at the main living/dinette area that points to the bunkhouse door, then compressed the 4" duct to blow under the door (there is about a 3" gap at the bottom of the door. This almost worked but not much air-flow out of the main dinette since it is a 2" duct run. I am considering changing out that 2" for a 4" to provide more airflow. I'll also check for kinks in the 2". I would be willing to attach a temporary nightly duct extension to blow under the door - if it works. I'm surprised there is not more talk about this. Anyone? Thanks in advance.​

jimtoo

Hi Akbuckeye,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

Hopefully someone with a unit like yours will jump in soon, meanwhile, enjoy the forum.

Jim M

(I did delete the previous post as double post are not allowed.)

irvin56

Yes that is a problem with all of these models. One owner had run a duct under the floor from furance that throws heat by entrance door by door. He ran that run under floor and attached the outlet to wall of bunk, (where the little sliding door under bunk is located) I have no problems but I don't leave the door closed at night. Also another owner uses an electric ceramic heater at night. that sits on the top of cupboard in bunk house.

bikerbob

Hello,
Camping in South Louisiana, I don`t use heater too much, as it makes a lot of noise. We use electric blankets and a small ceramic heater, which works great here..Oh, burns a lot of Butane also. As far as no one responding to your post, i posted about my TT mattress and no one replied. So i reposted and someone sent me to some previous posts about mattresses, which by the way took over a hour to read as it was hashed n rehashed over and over..LoL Went and bought me a custom matress for $ 300.00 and Connie and I sleep like a baby now.. Lots of Great people posting here i enjoy them all.. I just Love the Alaskan Vacation Thread. Connie and I went to Alaska and loved it and will go back. Great Job!!! Good Luck N Happy Camping!! My 2 Cents !!!

Fishging

X2 for the ceramic heater in the bunk room. Our two girls sleep warm and toasty back there when it's cold outside.

irvin56

another idea would be cut a 4" hole in bottom of door. Center at floor. and stick the hose in it for night time. Can always run it from the seat outlet of dinette by washroom wall as it is a 4" outlet. Stick a metal or plastic 90 on end of hose and that will keep the hose from kinking and it would be a straight run to door.