Unable to get our warranty parts ordered.

Nancy_S

We purchased our Landmark almost 3 months ago and have not been able to get the dealer to order any of the warranty parts. The only repairs they have done are for the major failures we had on our first trip.

The awning motor seized up while it was out (with a tornado on the way), the climate control (new fangled thermostat) failed, the shower leaked and we had a leak in the bedroom where the dealer installed the sat. dish. I called the dealer after we arrived at our first destination and found water on the bedroom dresser from a leak. The owner happened to answer the phone and his response was, "I wish I hadn't answered the phone, you just ruined my weekend!" I was thinking, I'm the one with the new expensive camper that is leaking. It has all been downhill from there.

We took it in as soon as we got back to get the awning fixed and they took the awning motor off the camper we traded in to give it a quick fix. We had to take it back after our second trip the following week and leave it to get the thermostat control fixed. We have a long list of other issues that the service person said they would take pictures of while they had it for almost 2 weeks and these would be submitted to Heartland. They have not submitted any of these and Heartland said they can't force the dealer to do so. The dealer is telling Heartland that we have told there service person that we're satisfied and nothing is wrong. I have sent emails (to the dealer and Heartland) with lists and some pictures of many of these issues, so obviously we are NOT satisfied. The climate control has quit on us again and we just don't know what to do. The two weeks that the dealer had our camper, they wrecked our sat. dish, but deny they did anything. We are stuck replacing it on our own. Heartland told us to go to another dealer, but that dealer won't deal with Heartland products anymore because the dealer we bought the camper from was allowed to open a dealership so close to their existing location.

Here is the list of items that need to be replaced or fixed:

- tall entry cabinet - water damage from shower leaking

- entry screen door - hole in upper screen, side coming a part

- dining chair - snags in fabric

- dining table top - scratched

- window over table - left side screen has holes in it

- barrel cabinet - broken around outside bottom section

- cabinet over couch - left side door chipped
- divider between left and right sides has a deep saw mark and scratches

- 42" Sharp TV in LR - scuffed all along top edge and upped side edges

- Antenna for Combo CD/DVD/Radio - never installed

- Refrigerator - lower right wood panel has flaws in finish (gunk under finish)
- lower left wood panel has scuff marks all over it

- Microwave - front all scratched and scuffed up

- Large cabinets outside bedroom - left hand molding bowed out on bottom
- left side trim has 4" split at top
- upper molding dinged up
- left side cabinet, both doors dinged up

- Ceiling panel outside bathroom in hallway - 2" tear

- Bathroom Vanity Cabinet - bottom edges not finished

- Shower Surround - chips and scratches

- Bedroom - right cabinet next to TV - finish coming off door
- bottom loose and staples sticking out

- Bedroom window under TV - curtain bracket broken on bottom right side

- Bedroom dresser under TV - upper right hand drawer front has finish missing
- lower right hand drawer front has flaws in finish
- upper left hand drawer front gouged

- Bedroom TV - bad pixels, can see several green dots when TV is on
- swivel bracket broke in two the first time we used it

- Louvered Washer/Dryer Cabinet - right hand door has scratches and gouges

We get the feeling from Heartland that the dealer comes first and the customer is out in the cold because they don't want to get in the middle of it.

Can anyone out there help us!!!!!

Wow, that's quite a list you have. You must have caught at least half of the problems during your PDI. What did the dealer tell you when pointed out the problems before delivery?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Yes, quite a list for sure. Most of those items you have listed appear to be cosmetic and really should have been caught during your pdi and an agreement made at that time to have them repaired. As for the other issues you mentioned, awning, leak from sat install etc. I can't quite understand why your dealer hasn't taken care of these. As you said, Heartland can't "make" the dealer do anything but they certainly should be able to put some pressure on them. Another option is to ask Heartland to recommend an alternative dealer to get these things taken care of.
It's sad that your dealer isn't being very accommodating. Would you care to share the name of your dealer? I really don't agree with your statement regarding Heartland putting the dealer first before the customer. If that were true, they wouldn't be where they are today in this market place. It's been my experience that the customer is #1. The dealers need to get that mentality for service as well as sales.

tmcran

This is on the Landmark? WOW we didn't have that many problems on our 09 Sundance.Call costumer service don't mess with emails. Good luck.

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Nancy,
ask Heartland for a recommendation for an independent service center. The dealers in our town stink too. We wind up redoing a lot of their "warranty" work. ( I work for a service center) An independent only has their service work to rely on for repeat business, not the next new victim.
I've found Heartland to be very supportive of their customers, but you need to call, not email.
Hopefully this will all be a distant memory and you can enjoy the new rig before too long.

wildwolfproducts

Man I sure hope I catch most if not all of that when we order our new unit. And it will be fixed before I sign the paperwork. No way I'm leaving the parking lot with a unit that has anywhere near that much wrong. We do plan on staying at or near the dealers lot for 2 days after to just make sure nothing is wrong the first night. Our closest dealer is 2.5 hours away.
Good luck and hope you get it all taken care of.
Pete

Wharton

I second everyone here, contact Heartland directly and find an independent service center. Most of this should have been fixed before your PDI. It almost sounds like a used trailer or beat up floor model. I personally would not have accepted delivery of the trailer until all this was fixed. OK, the awning motor and water leaks were unexpected but so much was wrong with it initially I am surprised the dealer even showed it to you.

PeternLiane

I second everyone here, contact Heartland directly and find an independent service center. Most of this should have been fixed before your PDI. It almost sounds like a used trailer or beat up floor model. I personally would not have accepted delivery of the trailer until all this was fixed. OK, the awning motor and water leaks were unexpected but so much was wrong with it initially I am surprised the dealer even showed it to you.

Very true I was surprised that so much was wrong. I hope everything got fixed.

PeternLiane

Man I sure hope I catch most if not all of that when we order our new unit. And it will be fixed before I sign the paperwork. No way I'm leaving the parking lot with a unit that has anywhere near that much wrong. We do plan on staying at or near the dealers lot for 2 days after to just make sure nothing is wrong the first night. Our closest dealer is 2.5 hours away.
Good luck and hope you get it all taken care of.
Pete

Hi Pete,
You never know how important a PDI is until you read something like this. It wasn't until I read all of the posts in the forum that I realized it. We got lucky with ours. We'll get to spend more time in the New trailer in 6 weeks. So we'll be able to get a better look at it. We're over a 100 miles away from our NT now. We can't just run outside and look at it. There is a lot that I really want to look at now.

wildwolfproducts

It took few hours to do the PDI on our last unit. And I think the new one coming up, will take longer. As its bigger, with way more items to check out. But I will have a check list by that time. Check everything at least 2 times.
Even making sure its hooked up to full power, All AC and heat working. Hot water heater ran until hot water comes out every place it should. All slides ran in and out a few times. Auto level up put through the paces until both my wife and I can do it with ease. All tanks filled with water and checked for leaks.Also be shown how to drain the water lines and get it ready for winter time use. So any people don't get this covered. It would not be one thing we would let slip. As its something we all have to do. And We may use ours a week then put it up for a few weeks. So paying someone else to do this is not going to happen.And thinking there will be a pressure test done on all lines and the whole unit before we leave.
I have not seen this test ran on a 5th wheel. But class A units they pressure test each one to make sure theres no leaks anywhere. Each unit should have this done before leaving the lot.
Pete

jimtoo

Like a lot of people that have a problem. They have not been on the forum since making the original post. Most likely the problem was with the customer attitude and dealer. No pictures were posted, so no one knows how bad the "scratches and gouges" were, which seem to be most of the complaints.

Jim M