perhaps buying tomorrow ...but

We are in the final negotiating stage ....tomorrow ... on a 2012 M 192 ..... however I see an awful lt of posts regarding water problems ,,,, ie, water leaking in.
Have any of you installed the water curtains over the slide ....and that wheel well leak post concerns me. Will I be taking things apart and caulking on a new trailor . The price on these seems to be premium yet some of the problems seem like they should not be happening on these particular units as they are marketed as ..well..sort of superior ,,,, just how well do these trailors stand up.
Thank You
Denis

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Welcome to the forum.

Please remember that forums like this are places people go for help if the have a problem, so you are more likely to see the negative rather than the positive. Most satisfied owners don't post that they are satisfied, lots of people with problems do post because they are looking to vent and/or ask for advice.

That's not to say that there aren't problems, but there are lots more people without problems than it appears.

We have had our Big Horn for 4years and are just now having some caulking to fix. Others have had to do it sooner, but some haven't had to at all. Caulking is just one of those maintenance things we expect to need to do. New rigs should have good caulking, but that is one of the things to check during the delivery process in case some of the caulking has shrunk since it was done.

Good luck with your purchase. I hope every thing works out for you and you become one of the many happy customers. Sometimes things do need to be fixed on our rolling homes. That is just part of the deal, but a good test of all systems before taking delivery can help prevent some of those headaches.

Kristy

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Denis, I agree with everything ziggy has said. We have been in our Bighorn for 5 years and when we first picked it up there were a couple of plumbing leaks that were found and took less that 2 minutes to tighten up a connection. We have never had water intrusion from a slide out or window. We don't have the slide toppers but if we ever replaced our current rig, I would consider them only to prevent debris from accumulating on the slide out roof, not to prevent leaks.

Marge

All who wander are not lost.
We are in the final negotiating stage ....tomorrow ... on a 2012 M 192 ..... however I see an awful lt of posts regarding water problems ,,,, ie, water leaking in.
Have any of you installed the water curtains over the slide ....and that wheel well leak post concerns me. Will I be taking things apart and caulking on a new trailor . The price on these seems to be premium yet some of the problems seem like they should not be happening on these particular units as they are marketed as ..well..sort of superior ,,,, just how well do these trailors stand up.
Thank You
Denis
I'm one of the people who joined for help and advice. We have been fighting a slide leak since we got this trailer. We did get a slide topper/awnning, it didn't seem to help.
Our last camping trip we did still have a leak, but then I found another gap in the caulking above a window in the slide, and we were parked under a tree and the branches were right in the spot when the gap was in the caulking.
And we have totally recaulked our slide and lots of other places. Now it is bone dry when the slide is in and when going down the road, so that is real progress.

I'd say go over your new trailer with a fine tooth comb before you take it off the lot. We had to take ours back 4 times (53 days total) to the dealers and we are still not that happy, but from here on in, unless something major goes wrong before the warrenty is up, we aren't hauling it back to them again.

We were pretty depressed about things because we were under the false assumption that when you buy something new it will be perfect. It is our own fault for being so naive.

RonBB

Just a small suggestion with regard to potential slide leaks. Always check the roof of the slide before closing to make sure there are no twigs, acorns, or things on top that will damage the seal when it closes. I try to always make the slide side just ever so slightly lower so any potential rain water will run away from the seal (Not possible if you have a slide on each side). FWIW, I've been happy with my M18 but have been trying to stop an A/C condensation leak that is elusive. Best of luck. Ron

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
In a perfect world we would all be sitting around our perfect RV's. I agree that I would like to hear less about problems off the line but.... My experience with purchasing 5 new RV's over the years from 4 different manufacturers have been similar and warranty issues had to be taken care of with each and every unit. I would suggest that you surf through some other forums and you will find that across the board there are problems off every manufacturers line. This doesn't make it right but I think purchasing something else will not reduce your risk. A dealership with high customer service standards is what you really need no matter who's product you buy!

I am a member of the "frequent buyers club" and I would not hesitate to purchase a third Heartland product in the future as this forum and the owners club have made any problems we have encountered so managable and easily solved. The relationships that we have made because of what we bought have meant more that I can express. You'll only find out what I mean when you become a "member of the family"!

tmcran

Had our 09 Sundance in the shop for about 3-4 weeks the first 3 months we owned it. Leaks in shower,major leaks in front bedroom slide( factory forgot to install the dams on each end of the slide),leaks in the basement due to poor caulking at the factory. These were items not noticed as a water test was not done at the dealers. The dealer I had was very good to repair, but cost us 3 trips with friends. Good luck and go over everything. I wouldn't be naive to think you will not have some problems.

Yellowreef

There are people that have and will post on every thread they can find about the problems they had. A lot of times it is the same person with the same problem but you read about it in five different threads. Satisfied people dont do that. I agree that in these forums there is a disproportionate amount of problem posts versus satisfied posts. I for one have an Edge M18 and have only had very minor finish issues with cabinets ect. No mechanical or structural problems whatsoever. Very satisfied. Good luck.