My hitch does not knock or bang any more.

mikeandconnie

Hello,

I had a new curt fifth wheel install by a pro shop last year on my truck and when we towed our Landmark it would knock and bang especially when stopping, starting, and bumps. I bought a new truck this year and installed the same hitch myself and did some research and installed this $4 dollar bumper pads between the rails and hitch connections. On this 3000 mile trip I have no bumping or knocking , It's was a smooth ride I can't believe the difference it made. I'm just posting this to maybe help others. Here is the link to the bumper pads. All my noise was coming from the rails not the pin connection. http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Curt/16900.ht

Mike

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Mike, I wasn't able to find any info on the "bumper pads" you mentioned. Is this something that fits on the top of the rails before the hitch is in place? There isn't much room there already so I can't imagine what would fit there. Thanks

mikeandconnie

Yes, on top of the rails. They are made for a curt hitch.... I had no problems with the pins going in... it's a solid fit, and feels like a solid ride when towing now. Before it was bad knocking in city traffic and exits. I very surprise in the differance it made.

wdk450

Gang:
The link didn't get me there, but I found them by using the link to get on the E-Trailer website and then putting "Curt 16900" in the search bar.

rebootsemi

I make a set of these to use on my Highjacker hitch, works great. Used some Delrin flat sheet material and just cut them out. Delrin is a material that has been used for years under big truck and trailer springs.
Did not see what the E-Trailer ones are made out of.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I followed Bill's lead and found them. They want more to ship them than they sell them for. I'm going to check with our local dealers to see if they can get them. Thanks for the info though.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
I make a set of these to use on my Highjacker hitch, works great. Used some Delrin flat sheet material and just cut them out. Delrin is a material that has been used for years under big truck and trailer springs.
Did not see what the E-Trailer ones are made out of.

what thickness?

rebootsemi

what thickness?

I would have to mic the pieces but I think they are about 1/8" or so. You can order delrin via McMaster-Carr online and you can get it in many shapes or forms. What I did was pry up the 5th wheel upper assembly with a pry bar and slip a regular wood shim in as far as I could, mark it, remove and measure how much slop (up/dn movement) there was in the plate. You don't want them too tight. If you have a big truck parts place around you can probably get delrin spring pads there, back in the day when we changed trailer springs we always replace the pads.