Bighorn aluminum rims, make sure you have this!!

caokgafamily

Last night I was getting my 3400 ready for a weekend trip. I read some time back about making sure your lug nuts are tight.I always carry a hydraulic pump jack and a universal X bar for the nuts. There are 8 lug nuts on each rim, a standard lug nut X bar,wrench etc will not work!. Make sure you have a thin wall deep socket 13/16? 1/2 " drive with a good cheater bar. The milled out area on the rim where the lug nuts go is very tight! so it will not let you get on the lug nut because it will hit the rim. If you have a standard lug wrench.
I'm glad we have not had any flats yet. This will be our eighth trip with our 3400, Very happy customers.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I just keep my torque wrench in the trailer that is set up to fit. I figured if it can torque to specs , it will take them off to change out the tire. Hopefully, I will never have to use it for an emergency.;) Ken

ChopperBill

I found that out a year ago(should be a post in the archives) and bought an extra breaker bar and socket just for the Bighorn storage bay.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
ChopperBill said:
I found that out a year ago(should be a post in the archives) and bought an extra breaker bar and socket just for the Bighorn storage bay.
I,know for a fact your post was the one, that made me aware of the problem. Hate to say this but if you had not had all those problems, I sure wouldn't know what I do today. Sure glad things are finally getting better, after all the problems. THANKS-- Ken

Uncle Rog

Howdy, my lug wrench has an extendable cheater bar that at full extension is 30", perfect for me. The kicker is that it has a light that shines through the socket for night work!

HappyKayakers

caokgafamily said:
Last night I was getting my 3400 ready for a weekend trip. I read some time back about making sure your lug nuts are tight.I always carry a hydraulic pump jack and a universal X bar for the nuts. There are 8 lug nuts on each rim, a standard lug nut X bar,wrench etc will not work!. Make sure you have a thin wall deep socket 13/16? 1/2 " drive with a good cheater bar. The milled out area on the rim where the lug nuts go is very tight! so it will not let you get on the lug nut because it will hit the rim. If you have a standard lug wrench.
I'm glad we have not had any flats yet. This will be our eighth trip with our 3400, Very happy customers.
Just wanted to confirm that 13/16 is correct. Just finished torqueing mine in anticipation of our move from Amarillo to Belvidere SD next week. :D I did mine as suggested previously on rv.net. Loosen first, then torque. That way you're sure that they weren't over-torqued to begin with.

tdharley

Mine is 13/16.

Dont forget to torque in a star pattern

2ptqn21.gif