Movin' On Up

PapaMikey

My wife and I have been tent trailer campers for almost the past 30 years. Lately, we (or I) have been looking at moving up to a hard sided RV. Last year we looked at quite a few travel trailers in the 18-22 foot category. We were recently on a family camping trip to Newport, Oregon and had to stop by Camping World in Junction City, just outside of Eugene. Near the front doors was this 2011 Heartland MPG travel trailer. We looked it over from the outside and really liked what we saw. Once we got home, I did some internet searching about the unit and looked at the various floorplans available from the Heartland RV website. I also found a dealer in the Sacramento area (where I live) that currently has about 8 MPG units on sale in the $**,*** to $**,*** range. I went to look them over and fell in love with an MPG 181 with all the available packages. I then brought my wife to the lot to look at the trailers, and she too chose the same trailer as I did. Some were cheaper and had less of the option than the one that we both liked. So, I put some money down on this 181 just so it would not be sold before I could get back with the funds. We completed the sale paperwork yesterday, but could not take the trailer home yet as we are waiting for the funds to arrive. Perhaps in a week or two, we will be the proud owners of a new Heartland MPG 181. I cannot wait to take it out to a campground and try it out. We are both eager to experience the difference in hard sided camping (rv-ing) and not having to worry about cranking up a tent trailer any more.

I also subscribed to the Heartland forum in order to learn from others who already own the Heartland MPG. I see that there are some factory problems and since this is the first production year for the MPG, that has to be expected. As long as they fix those problems in the 2012 model year, then it should be ok. I look forward to sharing my ideas or problems with others on this forum and in hope, we all can learn something from each other. Happy Camping!

Last edited by a moderator:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
PapaMikey, welcome to the Forum and Heartland Family. I got a feeling you are gonna like the change.
This forum is great place to, as you say, "share my ideas or problems with others".

Peace
Dave

Manzan

PapaMikey, we were tent campers for years the moved to a tent trailer for about three years then bought our first hardside. We like to camp in fall and winter and the hard side is easier to heat and keep dry. On our third hardside now, a 2011 NorthTrail 21FBS. Could not be happier with it. Took delivery March 1 this year.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
PapaMikey, Welcome to the Heartland Forum & Family. Enjoy your new MPG. You're really going to love not having to get down on your hands & knees to get into the cabinets all the time. A nice cozy and warm trailer with A/C for those warm California summer days. And a happy wife!

kb0zke

We were tent campers, too. First we went to a larger tent so we could use cots (no more sleeping on the ground). Then we moved to our 181. MUCH more comfortable! This is our learning rig, as we prepare to become full-timers when I retire in 2015.