Tennessee to Texas

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
Leaving Lebanon Tennessee on Oct. 10 traveling I-40 to Little Rock then I-30 to Dallas and then I-35 to Austin where we will stay at La Hacienda RV Park for 2-3 weeks then to Rockport for the winter. I like to travel 300 to max 400 miles a day and in some cases shorter. I am looking for good campgrounds somewhere around Hot Springs, and Dallas. I would like to stay as close to the interstate as possible. Looking for suggestions. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Lee,

We enjoyed our stay at Cloud 9 RV park in Hot Springs. A small park, but great views, easy in\out, and well kept. The entrance is hard to find at first, but a great little park awaits!
We drove through the KOA at Hot Springs, but it felt very cramped and hard to maneuver. Sites are shorter than most and the terrain is tiered, so sites and turns often had a slope.

If you are coming in on I-30 West towards Dallas, there is a KOA in Caddo Mills, TX just off the interstate, which is located about 40 miles outside of the Dallas city limit (Caddo Mills is a small town just before the towns that start to make up the DFW metroplex -- i.e., solid city.) I don't know of anything else that would be closer and still be a nice park. It gets good reviews on RVParkReviews.com, and we stayed there back in 2008 for our maiden voyage with our North Trail. It was a good park, just not as much scenery.

I-35 south from Dallas to Austin has lots of construction (I believe they are widening it), but most of the construction does not slow down the flow of traffic.

When you get in to the Dallas area, look us up!

Erika

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
but you'd have to make a U-turn to get to it. Very easy in and out but they recently went up on their prices.

We stayed at Cloud 9 one time but its about 20 miles off the freeway. Other than that, its a much nicer park.

Erika probably has the best suggestion for the Dallas area.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Here's a cool low key park in Pittsburg, Tx., About 7 miles south of I 30 from Mt Pleasant. $12.50 per night for 50amp. service with PPA. Decent sized spaces. No highway noise.Free wash/dry, showers.
The owner is trying hard to make it nice. Both he and the mgr are nice and very accessable.
http://www.bigcypressrvpark.com/
Trace

danemayer

We took our 39' Rushmore to Shady Pines in Texarkana (Texas side). Nice concrete pads - pull throughs, easy to navigate. Reasonable pricing. Check out the reviews:

http://rvparkreviews.com/regions/Texas/Texarkana.html

It's about 365 miles to Austin taking the most direct routing. Closer to 400 if you stay on the Interstate into Dallas. That would split the trip up a bit differently.

Another choice would be Tyler State Park in Tyler TX. It's about 230 miles cutting the corner using Hwy 31 to I35. Full hookups, pull throughs. Very nice pine trees, heavily shaded. Modestly priced. No internet or cable tv. You'd have to take a truck route from I30 to Tyler. Makes for a nice, scenic drive.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Another choice would be Tyler State Park in Tyler TX. It's about 230 miles cutting the corner using Hwy 31 to I35. Full hookups, pull throughs. Very nice pine trees, heavily shaded. Modestly priced. No internet or cable tv. You'd have to take a truck route from I30 to Tyler. Makes for a nice, scenic drive.

I'll second that, Tyler State Park is real nice! You can make a reservation, but they do not assign a specific site. It is first-come, first served. At Tyler they do have a section of all pull-throughs, be sure to reserve that section and you should fit in any of them. The back-ins really vary in length.

E

mikeandconnie

Good Sams has the old trip planner back now. It's great for planning trips... I just traveled 5000 miles and used the hours markers for all my stops , all good sams parks on the route where great. The one stop I didn't use it was very bad.. It also list mile markers and rest stops ect.. great tool to have printed on your trip here the link. http://www.goodsamclub.com/travel/freetriprouting/

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
I used the Good Sams trip planner and not all of the campgrounds came up that were suggested. It is a good service but does not show all of the parks. That is why I also post on here. I trust the recommendations of the people on here also. Thanks for all of the great advice if there is anymore please post them also.
Lee

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Lee, there are a couple nice COE parks just south of Hot Springs. We used them a few years ago and it's not too far from HS and there are some nice scenic roads to travel to get up to HS. Try looking HERE

hogan

Past Mississippi Chapter Leader (Founding)
Ray's suggestion on the COE parks south of Hot Springs is good. Also, Degray Lake at Arkadelphia has a state park and also COE parks. Not far from I-30. My preference in that area would be the Four States Fairground in Texarkana, Arkansas. It is just off I-30, nice hook-ups and very close to Walmart, Restaurants, everything you need. The one downside is the shower house was not too perky when I was there last November.