Internet safety

ChopperBill

I look at a post on RV.net that the topic was about reading other forum members profiles. I went to the topic starters profile and saw that he listed his full name, city and state. Can you imagine if he were to post a trip he was making and some predictor looking to rob someone of his property or identity would see an open opportunity. Maybe I am over cautious because we had a check stolen and the party tried to get in our account. When I was growing up we NEVER locked our house and ALWAYS left the key in the car. Just cant do stuff like that in this day and age.

ct0218

Sounds like something my neighbor would do. She's a widow, and would change the message on her answering machine every time she went out of town so that anyone who called would know she was gone. I finally got her to see the light.

Uncle Rog

Chopper, no way can you be cautious enough, I have been involved with several, individual and industry related ID theft schemes and it is amazing how vulnerable everyone is to the problem. I know people that use multiple computer systems, each for different applications and security levels, using an amazing array of virus / intrusion software. It is a shame that some knucklehead in Namibia / Russia / Arizona or any where, with just a little info can ruin your day. If you keep track of your business and credit reports you can keep your exposure to a minimum and snuff out a problem befor it gets out of hand. Sad but true, this is not the 60's.....

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
The same thing we keep trying to tell kids about what they post on myspace etc. applies to us. I teach computers to junior high kids and I can tell you that as hard as it is to get them to believe they are at risk, its harder to get adults to believe it. You can post just your first name and your city in your profile, but if you include other information in your posts, even on other sites, you can be tracked down. There are tools out there that cops use for investigations that the perverts and con artists also have access to. Its scary! The only thing we have going for us is that those types don't really come looking for people in places like this usually. I hope it stays that way because I don't want to have to use fake profiles everywhere I go online, but then again, maybe I already do.;)