Advice on choice of new TV please

camr

We are currently towing an Edge M22 (4200 lbs loaded) with an 09 Buick Enclave. We are very satisfied with the current TV, but would like to have more capacity for things like bikes, generator,etc. and also to account for a future trailer purchase within the next 3-4 years. I will not be going to a 5'er, there are only two of us, and within the next 7-10 years we will not be in a position to travel for more than 3 weeks in a row, so no 6 month excursions. In the future we would like to possibly get a TT a little larger, maybe in the neighbourhood of 7500 loaded at the max. So, two people, 7500 lbs. TT. A towing capacity of 10000 lbs. is all I need at this point
Here is my dilemma. I am a GM man. Cannot buy a Ford. Had one once, and it put on more miles up and down on a hoist than forward.
Complained to Ford and was stonewalled. I talked to the father of one of my employees, who has a fleet of 25 pickups in the construction business. He also was a GM man until he discovered the Toyota Tundra. His employees beat the living crap out of the trucks, as he puts it. He referred to the Toyota as the "end of weekly repairs". He has been converting his entire fleet over as replacement comes due. I ABSOLUTLY would NEVER have even remotely considered Toyota until he was so adiment that this was the truck to look at. So I started questioning my customers who drive the Tundra and am getting same story from each and every one, bar none. Yet I also have read that the Tundra sales have never met Toyota's expectations. Why not?
When I compare the HP and torque of the gas engine of the Sierra and Tundra, the Toyota is rated higher on both. If I look at the diesel it is a different story, but I will not need the HP and torque of the Duamax until my next truck after this one. (Read retirement!!!)
As much as I am a GM man, I believe in my heart of hearts that the Toyota would probably be more reliable, maybe, maybe not, but it will with most certainly be as reliable. All the Canadian double cab Tundras come with a tow package, which also includes a transmission fluid temp gauge, and frame mounted receiver.
So please understand, I am not a Toyota fan boy. If anything I am a GM fan boy. But I am pulled very strongly to the Toyota, based on my requirements of the next 5 to 7 years. Any help or opinions would be very, very greatly appreciated. (Just remember, if Ford was the last manufacturer on earth, I'll be driving a goat!!)
Thanks very much, guys.
Cam

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We leased a new 2008 Tundra when our original tow vehicle for the North Trail didn't work out. We loved the Tundra, it pulled our little NT like a dream! We ended up trading it in when we went to the 5ver. But it was a great truck.

E

P.S. Just FYI, Toyota has a reputation for good, reliable products. I have a 99 Rav4 with 238,000 miles on it.

Last edited:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Cam, like you, I'm a GM fan and owner. I truly believe the new Chevy's & GMC's will go toe to toe with the Tundra. While I haven't sat in or driven the Tundra, The GM's are very roomy and comfortable. I did have a Toyota (V6) quite a few years ago and while it's not the Tundra of today, it was underpowered for towing my 16 ft Smokercraft. An automatic trans would have been a better option at the time too. It also squatted pretty low in the rear when adding anything even reasonably heavy in the bed. I wonder if GM still offers the 1500HD any longer? That was available with the 6.0 Vortec but thirsty. The new 5.3 Vortec is pretty economical and has plenty of power.

It all comes down to your comfort. I believe all the half tons, both US and foreign are good trucks. You may get a better $$$ deal with GM though. Good Luck!

mmomega

AnyTimer
Well my first suggestion was going to be an EcoBoost F150 but you shot that down hehe, so I'd have to go with some others and suggest the new Tundra.
It is a very well put together truck inside and out the fit and finish is good.
For me it's basically anything but a Dodge. I put my list as Ford, GMC (I like the GMC look better than Chevy), Toyota then Dodge.
I believe you'll make the right decision for you anyway, just research the **** out of it. Go to forums and read from the guys that use them everyday and their opinions. I researched my new one for a little over a year before I finally jumped on it. It came down to the 2011 F350 and GMC 3500HD, they were both extraordinary trucks, both more than what I needed but I like having more than needing more and it basically came down to the interiors. I love both brands but I felt the super duty was a better fit for me and I bet that new Tundra has your name all over it.
It is a sexy looking truck...

MauriceM

While I do love Toyotas for their reliability, I don't know if the Tundra is up to towing a large trailer. I would compare the Tundra to the GMC 2500HD. They both cost about the same if you go for the Vortec V8 on the GMC. The GMC (with the 4.10 rear axle) has about 4,000 more pounds of towing capacity compared to the Tundra.

Maurice - What type of bath fans fit in a Bighorn?

Last edited:

GOTTOYS

Anything in the 150/1500 series with a trailer towing package should work for. They're all good. I never thought I would buy a new Dodge but after looking at them that's all it took. Keep an open mind and go look at all of them. Every manufacturer makes and has made, a clinker so don't let brand loyality get in your way. My new Dodge has had zero repairs in the same amount of miles that my previous Ford had several. Not to say I didn't like the Ford but I do like this one better....Don

6.7powerstroke

Well, if you want the best tow vehicle, the EcoBoost is in a different class. My neighbor just bought one to tow his Focus after dumping his underpowered Tahoe. I understant you wouldn't drive a Ford, I wouldn't drive a Gov't Motors vehicle if you gave it to me. So, I guess I respect that!

What I wanted to comment on was the Toyota. I have a Lexus GX 470, which is basically a 4Runner and I have to say that outside of the power of the engine, which is pretty good, the vehicle has been a big disappointment. Tons of brake issues and really just poor workmanship. Right now it is starting to show signs that the entire front diff has failed with some major noises, despite servicing it religiously. I think Toyota has really fallen far in the last few years, just my experience.