Outside electrical plug

NSNorthtrail

Hi all,
need your help. Just hooked Up for a 7 day trip and just discovered my outside plug doesn't work. Gfi is fine in the washroom and can't see any breaker or fuse problem. Any suggestions? Please give me your thoughts. Thanks, Peter.

NSNorthtrail

Re: Outside eletrical plug

Now my kitchen plug has stopped working! What's going on? Still no breaker/fuse/gfi issue that I can see.
Peter

rebootsemi

Check your breakers just because it looks like it's is not tripped it might be, flip the breaker to off and then back on, I was fooled this way once,,worth a try.

rebootsemi

You say there is no gfi in the kitchen, your kitchen and outside plugs are on a gif they have to be per NEC code, so somewhere in your camper there is a gfi that controls these plugs. Another thing to check is the breaker, it may look like it is not tripped, but flip the breaker to off and than back on, I was fooled by a breaker once.

NSNorthtrail

The gfi is in the bathroom and it appears to be ok. Greenlight on it and the outlet works fine. Tried the breakers. They r all ok as well. Thanks for your suggestions.

rebootsemi

The gfi is in the bathroom and it appears to be ok. Greenlight on it and the outlet works fine. Tried the breakers. They r all ok as well. Thanks for your suggestions.

Could be your gfi in the bathroom has failed, do you have a multimeter or some way to test voltage? If so turn the breaker off, remove the gfi from the wall and get it out where you can test to see if you are getting voltage to the load or out side of the gfi, turn the breaker back on and test it, could bed bad. Also could be a wire came loose, just brain storming here but some more things to check...good luck.

TXBobcat

Fulltime

There is a plug on the outside that is connected to a switch in the trailer. It is use normally for lights you can place outside or on the awning.

Mine is on the outside and near the front of the trailer.

BC

rebootsemi

There is a plug on the outside that is connected to a switch in the trailer. It is use normally for lights you can place outside or on the awning.

Mine is on the outside and near the front of the trailer.

BC

His problem is that his kitchen plug doesn't work, don't know if his outside is switched or not. The low one on ours is not switched, the one up by the awning is.

TXBobcat

Fulltime

Hi all,
need your help. Just hooked Up for a 7 day trip and just discovered my outside plug doesn't work. Gfi is fine in the washroom and can't see any breaker or fuse problem. Any suggestions? Please give me your thoughts. Thanks, Peter.

Well I guess I am going to have to get my computer fixed.... I don't see a thing about kitchen in the OP.

He said the ones in the kitchen didn't work in a later post.... That can be two different problems.

BC

NSNorthtrail

I have never heard of or used a swith to control that outside plug. Both my kitchen plug and outside plug are not working. The gfi is in the bathroom and appears to be working. green light is on and when I plug something into it works fine. I have no meter. Do these trailers have 2 gfi's? I have looked around and cannot find a 2nd one besides the one in the bathroom.

rebootsemi

I have never heard of or used a swith to control that outside plug. Both my kitchen plug and outside plug are not working. The gfi is in the bathroom and appears to be working. green light is on and when I plug something into it works fine. I have no meter. Do these trailers have 2 gfi's? I have looked around and cannot find a 2nd one besides the one in the bathroom.
Our Sundance has two outside plugs, one is up high by the awning and is switched its there so if you have lights on your awning they will be switched. The other plug is down of the side next to the basement door, there to run your big screen outside and it is not switched but I believe it runs through the gfi. All outside 120 volt plugs per NEC are required to be gfci protected.
Do you have a screw driver? Just for a test turn off the breaker, test the gfi plug to make sure the power is off and remove the gfci plug, there will be 2 black wires and 2 white connected to the terminals also the green grd. The supply from the breaker will be in the LINE side and other plugs will be connected to the LOAD side black and white. Remove the black for the load side and see if you can double it up with the black to the LINE side do the same with the LINE white wire. Leave it out of the wall not touching anything, now turn the breaker back on and see if you have power to the plugs. If you have power the GFCI is bad, replace if still no power a wire is disconnected leading to the first plug. Most of these plugs do not have screw terminals just a push in knife type connection, maybe a wire came out.

http://www.protoolreviews.com/how-to/electrical/wiring-a-gfci-receptacle

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

This begs the question: Did the plug ever work, or is this a recent failure? If no switch for it, the next guess is the push in wiring is faulty. Most likely, the outside plug is wired on the same circuit as whatever plug is nearest to it inside.

gmc

Reitired - California-Central Chapter Leaders

I agree my bighorn has a switch for the outside plug by the awning