32RL seal pinched on bedroom slide

flattrack

We have a new 32RL and the roller for the bedroom slide sucked up the bottom slide seal. The seal pinched off and is now torn. Have any of y'all heard or this before? Do you think Heartland will send me a new slide seal? Or will I have to bring it to the "stealer"? Thanks in advance.

Cory

jimtoo

Hi Flattrack,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I don't know who your dealer is, but I would start there... If no luck, then I would call Heartland Customer Service, 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Ask for service and explain your problem nicely.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

JJnVA

We had an identical issue with our BH3610RE bedroom slide. While at the June Heartland Rally in Goshen, service techs replaced the seal at our rally site. The tech explained that the seal had stuck to excess caulking around the slide exterior trim and caused it to stick to the roller, thus pulling it under and ripping the seal. He cleaned the excess caulking and replaced the seal - no charge of course! The service techs were very helpful.
If it is not convenient to go to your dealer, I would recommend you call Heartland Customer Service and they will ship you the seal. It is a simple install. There are two parts to the seal: The dust seal attaches with pressure sensitive adhesive that is already on the back and covered with removable paper tape. The slide seal is held on by Phillips head screws. Good luck!

JJnLilly

Just found a similar but slightly different problem on our 32RL. The bottom seal has tears in it where it is pulled in against apparently bare metal pieces. I can't see what they are, but the bottom of the slide is being scuffed by these metal pieces as the room moves in and out. Hate to replace the seal without fixing the underlying problem.

JJnLilly

Did some more checking and it looks like there are two problems. First, the bottom sweep/seal is placed way to high and nearly 3/4 of it is pulled in when the slide moves in. Second, it looks like the slide itself is moving on the metal brackets that the slide rollers are mounted in and not the rollers. In other words, as the slide moves in (or out) is is ridding on the bracket and not the rollers. As the warranty is gone it looks like the fix will be totally on me, even though the bedroom slide problem has been noted several times during other warranty work.

My question would be, how difficult would it be to replace the rollers with some that are wider that the 2" ones now on the unit?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Bedroom Slide Rollers and lowere seal

When your slide problem was noted during other warranty work, who did the warranty work? I hope that is was documented with Heartland through your repair center.
If Heartland was aware of the problem and you now know what the problem is, it would not hurt to call customer service and explain your situation. It don't hurt to ask.
Difficulty in replacing those rollers? I think I know how I would approach that but it would be very difficult.
It would involve either removing the slide or jacking the slide up to get a little room to work. You might gain an inch of space to work with and then figure out a way to remove screws and re-install new screws. Your rollers could be wider but probably no larger in diameter.
Either way it would be a job and a half for an amateur.

Peace
Dave

JJnLilly

I think I corrected the problem - sort of anyway. Because the bottom sweep was installed too close to the bottom of the slide, when the slide moved in, the sweep was pulled over the rollers. Rather than replace the rollers (a task I did not want to undertake) I just cut out a small section of the sweep (that had been chewed up by being dragged over the rollers). So it was not the rollers at fault it was the sweep, when it was dragged in over the rollers, the rollers could not turn and so the slide was being dragged over the non-moving rollers. Actually I've about had it with this unit and am seriously looking to unload the unit soon.​