Bighorn - Fantastic Fan

Westwind

On my new Bighorn 3070RL there is a Fantastic Fan in the Kitchen area on the high ceiling. Does this fan have something (Thermostat) that operates it or do I have to climb up on a ladder to operate it? Today I wanted to cool the trailer off and then switch over to AC but it was too hard.
It's a feature that I know we would use alot if it was easier to get too.

I didn't receive any operating information on it in my zipper bag and I can't locate a model number on it so I can find information on the Fantastic Fan website.

Thanks for your help.

jdfishing

Re: ATF: Bighorn - Fantastic Fan

My Bighorn is a different model, but my kitchen fan is controlled by a thermostat, located adjacent to the furnace/AC thermostat.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

I don't know if HL is installing them, but there is a model of the Fantastic Fan that is operated via a remote, not a wall thermostat. If you have that model, you need to find the remote or contact the dealer you got it from to cough it up. From the Fantastic Fan website it appears all other models use a wall thermostat, but can be converted to use the remote.

Birchwood

A remote for a Fantastic fan ?Its an inexpensive set up for the manufacturer but who needs
another remote .

MC9

My remote is mounted in it's holder on the side of a cabinet near the door.

Westwind

Hi Guys - No remote that I can find and I have 4 so far, 2 for the TV's, 1 for the Radio, and 1 for the Fireplace. If it did have a
remote that would be so nice. Whats their right now is almost usless due to the height that you have to reach to regulate it.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator

Westwind, Look on the wall near the furnace/AC thermostat for another thermostat. It's about 3-1/2 inches square. There is a slide on top to set the temp at which the fan should close. We still have to use one of them long grabber things to control the fan speed.
If there is no watt t'stat, get back with your dealer or call Heartland.

JohnDar

These are the things to look for (unless you've got a remote control unit).

The upper thermostat in the photo controls the fan. The second photo is what the fan controls normally look like. The water drop tells you that it has a rain sensor. The fuzzy close-up of the knob shows you that you need to set it for either manual or automatic operation.

Westwind

Thanks to John the mystery has been solved, sorry to think that Heartland would put a fan in that a vertically challenged person like "I" couldn't reach. I thought the upper thermostat was for the furnace, not thinking that
the AC Thermostat that I've been turning on and off every day since we brought the trailer home was the furnace
Thermostat. Oh Well part of the learning process.:eek:

JohnDar

A minor correction on the function of the manual/auto knob. After pulling my instruction sheet out (it's been a while since I did it), putting the knob in manual and then setting the height the cover opens, and returning the knob to auto is how you set the opening height of the cover everytime it comes on based on the temperature you've set it for. It has nothing to do with how it responds to the thermostat.

Westwind

I'll have to print out a operating manual so that I can set it up, your help should bet me there but by February I will have forgotten
alot of it. Plus I'm starting a three ring binder with all the info in it. Did that with my last TT and it worked out good.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator

Westwind, Glad you got it figured out.

John, Thanks for posting the pics. Zactly what was needed.

I'll be moving this out of the ATF into an appropriate area.

Gizzy

Westwind, Just something to ponder. We have a 3070 and one of the most frustrating things with it is the fact that the range vent does not vent to the outside (don't know why). It just blows through a grease filter and blows back into the coach. Therefore we have to turn on the Fantastic Fan to suck the air outside. It seems to work fine however there is one small problem if you try to cook/vent when it is raining since the Fantastic Fan has a rain sensor on it. I cured that problem by installing a MAXAIR 850 vent cover over the Fantastic Fan so itg can be used while it is raining. Just passing this on for your info.

hogan

Past Mississippi Chapter Leader (Founding)

Hi Jerry and Lily, Need an update on your location. We are so looking forward to seeing you at the Chapter Rally in October. Headed to Topsail Hill campground next week to party with the Florida chapter. Anita and Cuzzin Wayne Cooper will be there also. Then we will drag through LA and go over into South Mississippi to check out some state parks there. Will go by Frog Level campground at Philadelphia (Rally Site) on the way back home. Travel Safe. C U soon.

JohnDar

Westwind, Just something to ponder. We have a 3070 and one of the most frustrating things with it is the fact that the range vent does not vent to the outside (don't know why). It just blows through a grease filter and blows back into the coach. Therefore we have to turn on the Fantastic Fan to suck the air outside. It seems to work fine however there is one small problem if you try to cook/vent when it is raining since the Fantastic Fan has a rain sensor on it. I cured that problem by installing a MAXAIR 850 vent cover over the Fantastic Fan so itg can be used while it is raining. Just passing this on for your info.

I did the same with all of my vents (covered them). Nice to be able to run the fans during a rain shower and draw cool air in from the windows under the awnings. We reserve the A/C for really hot/humid days.

Somewhere along the line there must have been a design change (I recall reading about it some time ago). Our kitchen stove hood vents to the outside. That's what that little covered flap on the kitchen slide is for.

Westwind

Some kitchen exhaust fans are vent and some aren't. Ours is one of the recirculating. Our previous trailer had a vented fan but we never used it, it was so noisy in such a small place that we couldn't stand it, we had a TurboMaxx
Fan in a vent over the kitchen area and that was what we used.
But I do have to get some covers because I do enjoy using the vent in bad weather, especially the bathroom. Every time I shower I use the vent fan to remove the moisture. I do intend to change out that fan for something that does a better job of venting at less decibles.

JohnDar

It's worth looking at the Heng Vortex fan to replace the OEM bathroom fan. I replaced the one in the bedroom with a Vortex, and it is quieter and moves more air. Wife is making noises about putting an A/C in the bedroom, so if we do, the Heng goes to the bathroom.

BTW, if your vent lids (not the MaxxAir covers) are getting a little difficult to open and close, get up on the roof with some white lithium grease and lube the gear and sliding mechanism a bit. Works wonders.