Condensation on ceiling?

I have a 2009 Sundance 2800 RLS , only had it for about a month, last weekend, the temps were near 100. It has one A/C, ducted to the front, I noticed drops of water on the ceiling hear the WC door in bathroom area, there had been no rain, but the ceiling was cold for a roughly two foot diameter circle around and under the duct, with the water drops on it. I pulled out the nearest vent registers, but was unable to reach to that spot, nor see anything. Could there be a leak in the foam channel that serves as a duct, cooling that area of the ceiling and with the high humidity and moisture from the bathroom creating the water drops on the ceiling? Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks

jimtoo

Hi Jcullipher,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I can't say I have heard of the problem your having, but sounds like your on the right track. How far is the location from the A/C unit itself? And is the ceiling level from the a/c to where the water drops are? The reason I am asking the question is a month ago we had a few drops of water on our ceiling and it was about 18" from the a/c, coming from a light fixture. I cleaned drains,, found nothing, tighten up the mounting of the a/c... don't know if it helped... but we did not have the water drops again.

Enjoy the forum and let us know what you find.

Jim M

I would estimate the distance to the a/c unit from the wet/cold spot to be 6-8 ft, but not level with the unit, a definite rise on elevation. Since the elevation rise comes into play, I really do not think the moisture is coming from the unit itself, it passes one vent before it shows up on the ceiling. Jim

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Jim, 2 things come to mind. Remove the lower cover on the A/C unit and make sure the 4 bolts that hold it place are tight. While you have the cover off, make sure something has not built a nest in or near the drain. If the drain is plugged the water has nowhere to go except inside. When the A/C is on in high humidity always run it at high fan and make sure the condensation is dripping off the roof.

Jim, 2 things come to mind. Remove the lower cover on the A/C unit and make sure the 4 bolts that hold it place are tight. While you have the cover off, make sure something has not built a nest in or near the drain. If the drain is plugged the water has nowhere to go except inside. When the A/C is on in high humidity always run it at high fan and make sure the condensation is dripping off the roof.

I will give that a shot, I know there is a fair amount of condensate dripping off the roof. I find it hard to believe that this is the problem due to the fact that the moisture passes a ceiling vent and then goes uphill to front of trailer before showing up, I would have thought it would have come out the nearest vent. But stranger things have happened and I will check that and thanks.
jim

hoefler

Sounds like the vent opening is not sealed to the duct work. You might try and seal it with some foil tape to keep the cold air from going into the attic and creating a cold spot for condensation form.

The last vent prior to the cold spot appears to be sealed, but I could be missing a leak there. I will double check, that would be easier to fix, I am getting concerned that the foam "ductwork" maybe cracked and/or leaking itself. If that is the case, I see no easy way to get to it.