GPS with OBD2 interface

wyleyrabbit

Thought I should share some information. A few months ago I purchased a Garmin Nuvi 1450LMT GPS to replace our ancient Magellan unit. Aside from having great navigation and a really easy to use interface, this one also comes with free live traffic integration and free map updates four times a year. Brilliant.

Additionally, I purchased an optional interface that plugs into our truck's OBD2 interface--that's the computer port under the steering wheel--and communicates directly with the GPS wirelessly. I can see a bunch of extra gauges, and get incredibly accurate live fuel consumption information. Also, if the truck ever throws a trouble code, I can see and clear it, apparently.

Chris

wyleyrabbit

I suppose I should also add that while the GPS is available all over the place (we got ours from Costco for about $199), I had to get the vehicle interface via mail-order for about $99.

brianharrison

Is this the ecoRoute™ HD that Garmin is promoting?

With your diesel, does the Garmin provide tranny temp, exhaust temp, cooling temp, diesel oil temp, etc? on the digital gauges? These are a few of the main parameters I watch while I tow.

I purchased the Edge digital insight a number of years ago to give me these parameters on my Ford diesel. Would be great to know of another alternative, at a lower cost since I already have the Garmin 1390LMT.

Brian

wyleyrabbit

Is this the ecoRoute™ HD that Garmin is promoting?

Yes! It only works with a few GPS units, the 1390, the 1490, and a few of the other new ones. Compatibility info here: http://gbr.garmin.com/ecoroute-hd/compatibilty/compatibility.html

With your diesel, does the Garmin provide tranny temp, exhaust temp, cooling temp, diesel oil temp, etc? on the digital gauges? These are a few of the main parameters I watch while I tow.

From the Garmin website:

RPM meter, Fuel Flow, Intake Air Temperature, etc. Coolant/Temperature-Oil/Pressure data Throttle position, Combustion mixture, Engine component operation and status, Battery and charging system information, Climate control information – Heat and A/C etc.

I'm not sure all of those work on my truck, I'll have to go have a look and let you know. I know I can see tranny temp on the truck's dashboard, and I'm pretty sure that coolant temp works on the GPS.

There's a detailed website for the ecoRoute HD here: http://gbr.garmin.com/ecoroute-hd/index.html

G
enerally, it works great. Occasionally, the GPS and the ecoRoute HD will lose the connection, but usually turning the truck or GPS off then on again restores that.

Hope this helps.

Chris

brianharrison

Thanks Chris,

Yes it helps. I have an analog tranny temp gauge on my dash, however I have seen my Insight digital tranny temp increase from 174F (normal) to 215F and the analog gauge only move a fraction of an inch.

I do like the granularity of the digital gauges. Same for coolant and oil temp.

thanks again,

Brian