Replacing Slide Carpet and Slide "Uprights"

mbolton

This may not be the correct forum, but, I am curious to know if anyone has attempted to replace the carpet in a living room slide before. I am taking delivery on a 2007 3795 that while it has had NO use as a trailer/camper, it was lived in. The living room slide carpet is trashed. My wife wants to go back with laminate or the like, and I just wanted to poll you guys to see what to look out for, etc.

Also, the slide "upright" (for lack of a better word, the piece of facia wood that faces the left and right side walls of a slide) has seen significant water damage. Where do I go to replace these? Do I have to go to a Heartland dealer or are their online sources for OEM parts?

Thanks,
Mark

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think that replacing the carpet in the slide with a laminate is a good idea. Just my opinion. One of the reasons, and I think the important one, is that the carpet hangs over the end on the floor so that when the slide is out the carpet covers the seam where both floors meet. It is cosmetically appealing and may seal drafts. I do know that a few people have replaced the carpet on the floor of the coach with laminate and like the way it turned out.
For the slide facia, I would contact Heartland Parts. I don't know if they will have any for your 2007, but it is worth a shot. If you call, be sure to have your coach VIN handy. They will know exactly what you have.
Heartland Customer Service
877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030
Post some pics of your remodel project and how you did it.

Peace
Dave

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
I don't think that replacing the carpet in the slide with a laminate is a good idea. Just my opinion. One of the reasons, and I think the important one, is that the carpet hangs over the end on the floor so that when the slide is out the carpet covers the seam where both floors meet. It is cosmetically appealing and may seal drafts. I do know that a few people have replaced the carpet on the floor of the coach with laminate and like the way it turned out.
For the slide facia, I would contact Heartland Parts. I don't know if they will have any for your 2007, but it is worth a shot. If you call, be sure to have your coach VIN handy. They will know exactly what you have.
Heartland Customer Service
877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030
Post some pics of your remodel project and how you did it.

Peace
Dave

I did it and really like it. Just us HIGH QUALITY flooring not that 99 cents per sq ft stuff.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I did it and really like it. Just us HIGH QUALITY flooring not that 99 cents per sq ft stuff.
Lefty, how did you manage the area where the slide floor edge meets the trailers floor edge? Pictures? I think it would be nice to be able to have laminate flooring in the slide but can't see how it would be an easy or smooth transition for the floor area.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
You know, in the back of my mind I had been thinking that I maybe Lefty did that during his makeover. Now I know. Now inquiring minds want to know. What does it look like? Peace Dave

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
I had a couple of pieces milled to fit the different slants between the slide and the main unit floor. And, screwed them in on the ends. May have to add another screw in the middle.

I'd post pictures, but my attorney say nope. I'm taking the contractor to court. Just make sure to do your homework and insure that the quality of the flooring matches what you have been promised. There are more ways to do a transition than the law allows

mbolton

Forgive my complete ignorance Lefty, but what do you mean? You got laminate milled for the slants?

Also, how do you get to the edge of the floor that is actually still under the slide when you are extended? Camping World told me they have to remove the slide to replace the coach carpet??

Rodney_M

I Am not positive how Left placed his but looks to me like you'd be able to place a piece of hard wood to be the outer transition edge on the slide floor then can taper it so it is smooth transition to stationary floor. Then bring the laminate flooring right up to butt into this wood. It would give you a solid edge that could take more wear vs the softer flooring. Perhaps try and stain it to match the rest of the wood/trim. Or perhaps utilize the laminate imitation wood flooring on the slide to blend into the hardwood edge so that it isn't as noticeable.

Just tossing out some ideas. I do a lot of woodwork etc as a side hobby.

Last edited:

DMitch

I had to replace a piece of that upright trim in my 3580. Call Heartland parts and send them a picture of the moulding and they will prob. be able to match it up. They helped me out with mine promptly.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
I Am not positive how Left placed his but looks to me like you'd be able to place a piece of hard wood to be the outer transition edge on the slide floor then can taper it so it is smooth transition to stationary floor. Then bring the laminate flooring right up to butt into this wood. It would give you a solid edge that could take more wear vs the softer flooring. Perhaps try and stain it to match the rest of the wood/trim. Or perhaps utilize the laminate imitation wood flooring on the slide to blend into the hardwood edge so that it isn't as noticeable.

Just tossing out some ideas. I do a lot of woodwork etc as a side hobby.

That's exactly what I did. It's nothing but a long thin threshold. And, any wood mill will do it for you. I like it. When the "legalities" are over I'll post pictures.

Ray LeTourneau

So Lefty, did you cover that long white nylon "rub strip"? Other than that strip, I can see it wouldn't bee too difficult.

Ray LeTourneau

Also, how do you get to the edge of the floor that is actually still under the slide when you are extended? Camping World told me they have to remove the slide to replace the coach carpet??
The slide does not have to be removed. When the slide is extended, you can lift the flap that overlays the coach floor and see how it all fits together. The edge of the carpet on the coach floor stops an inch or two from the edge. Held down with several hundred staples. :D