New owner of Heartland North Trail trailer

Donna_L

This trailer sits kind of low, & we do a lot of mountain camping at national forest, can we switch axles to give us more clearance, roads are not always so good

jimtoo

Hi Donna-L,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I'm not sure what Heartland unit you have, but if the springs are under the axles, I can see no reason that they could not be changed to give a little more clearance. Just make sure they are mounted correctly in the proper saddles and everything. Just need to be careful of overall height.

Enjoy the forum and your new toy.

Jim M

Marge

All who wander are not lost.
This trailer sits kind of low, & we do a lot of mountain camping at national forest, can we switch axles to give us more clearance, roads are not always so good
We asked about this, and were told that the axle can be flipped.
Our last trip was in Gifford Pinchot National forest, we didn't get off on any dirt roads, but didn't have any problems on the paved forest roads.
We initially thought we would have problems because the trailer sits so low, but so far so good, we just take is slow if we think we might hit the sewer connection or drag the spare tire, and so far so good.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
We camped off of forest service (dirt) roads in Idaho, Wyoming, Utah and Northern Arizona last year with no problems, just need to watch and drive slow.
Boondocking in the peace and quiet and solitude was nice.
Have fun!

pegmikef

We just came back from camping in the mountains at forest service and corps of engineers sites in northern New Mexico and southern Colorado . . . dirt roads and rough (boondocking) campsites. No problems, but just go slow especially on roads with holes.

pegmikef

We just came back from camping in the mountains at forest service and corps of engineers sites in northern New Mexico and southern Colorado . . . dirt roads and rough (boondocking) campsites. No problems, but just go slow especially on roads with holes.

Oops, don't go by this because I just looked at my axles and the springs are above the axles on my North Trail so I'm higher than yours.

Marge

All who wander are not lost.
The only problem we have ever had, is because the holding tanks drain is so low, it almost drags coming in and out of our driveway.

My husband cut a few inches off of it, so now it is higher and won't scrape. That was any easy fix!

ZNK

Best recoomendation would be to flip the springs if yours are below the axles. Are they above or below?