How safe are these RV fridges?

RanCarr

I read and hear so much about fridge recalls.... just how dangerous are these RV fridges? We have a Norcold in our North Trail. How often do they cause fires? I'm starting to worry every time we leave the TT at the campground and are gone for a few hours or the afternoon. Our three cats are in the TT when we leave and we have to lock the doors. Even unlocked, I doubt anyone could rescue them should there be a fire. We'd be devastated if anything happened to them. They're leery of strangers and would probably hide. I also usually have a few cameras and other things I wouldn't want to lose. Ideas and thoughts please. I'll be off to the lake with the TT and cats for 2 weeks at the end of the month. :)

jimtoo

Not sure what your reading or what your hearing about concerning fridge recalls. I have never heard of a fridge causing a fire, although I guess it could happen if you let trash or bugs or spiders get in the area where the unit is. I know of one recall or service update where a shield was installed near the burner area, but these things been in rv's for many years.

Jim M

Manzan

In the twenty two or so years I have been towing a hard side trailer, I have never heard of a refrigerator causing a fire. This is a guess, but I think most propane fires are a result of someone making a modification that the did not know how to do properly. Propane refrigerators have been used safely for a great many years and if there were inherent problems with them, they would have been well known a long time ago.

Birchwood

There was a motorhome at our park in Florida that burned while the owners were
away for a few weeks.It was the fridge that caused the fire but never heard the full
details but it was a very nice 40 ft Class A.
Winnebago are starting to use electric only fridges in their high end class A units
but not sure why.Due to the recalls I also have concern with fridge fires.

Marge

All who wander are not lost.
I've never heard anything about this either. We have been RVing for many years too.

Have a great time on your trip.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
There have only been a couple of recalls I have heard about and neither were SERIOUS fire hazards. Keep in mind anytime you run something on propane you will have an open fire, just like when you run something in your home on natural gas. Due to the open flame condition anything flammable could cause a problem. Do you store gasoline cans in your garage by a gas water heater...no due to the fire hazard. So does that mean gas water heaters are so unsafe that you should not use them? I think not. You have to use ordinary care and common sense and you should be fine.

brianharrison

There are cases of absorption fridges and fires. Most have been attributed to fridges manufactured circa 2000 to 2010 (mostly early 2000's) . It applies to specific models and specfic serial numbers (S/N). Both Dometic and Norcold have made changes to their fridges to address the concerns. You can check your specific fridge with your Serial Number.

Dometic Recall

Norcold Recall

According to one Fire Investigator and 2004 stats (“U.S. Vehicle Fire Trends & Patterns”, NFPA Fire Research Division, Feb 2004), there are on average 4000 RV fires per year --> LINK. Not sure how many are directly attibuted to fridges.

Proper maintenance, operator awareness and following ALL manufacturer recommended practices (ie regular inspection and cleaning of the comparment to reduce dust and eliminate debris; watching out for signs of absorption system deterioration etc) will provide MANY years of trouble free operation.

If in doubt, have certified technicians inspect the RV fridge on a frequency that makes you feel comfortable in your unit; maufacturer recommends this be done at least once per year (I think; check your manual).

Not trying to instill a widespread fear of RV fridges, just sharing what I know. There are cases of failure and resulting damage.

Brian

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
In an effort to alleviate any fears we had of a refrigerator fire, we installed a Halon fire suppressor in the fridge compartment that will extinguish a fire immediately, thereby protecting our pets left inside.

Although the threat is VERY minimal, we felt it better to be safe than sorry...Mac the Fire Guy can help with the proper extinguishers and suppressors...http://www.macthefireguy.com/

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
In an effort to alleviate any fears we had of a refrigerator fire, we installed a Halon fire suppressor in the fridge compartment that will extinguish a fire immediately, thereby protecting our pets left inside.

Although the threat is VERY minimal, we felt it better to be safe than sorry...Mac the Fire Guy can help with the proper extinguishers and suppressors...http://www.macthefireguy.com/

Got any details on the halon system you installed? Or is it the engine compartment system on Mac's site?

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
There have been fires, and we see them. Had one a couple weeks ago where the tech was working on it and caught it before it did any damage. They are on mostly 20 year old + units that have either not been properly maintained, or have been tampered with. Some of the old style Norcolds had gas valves under the front of the fridge that were a problem. They no longer make them that way.
I have had RV's since I was 21, (a very substantial amount of time :) ) used the propane fridges all the time and have never had an issue. Even in the 100 or so Norcold recalls we've done this year, there has not been an issue with a single refrigerator.
You have a new rig,and I wouldn't worry. Going forward, just make sure you have the recommended service done and you should be good to go each season. ANd when you do have service, please make sure it's a certified tech doing your work, not Joe-Bob's mobile repair. (Some mobile techs are certified too, just ask them)

wdk450

Is Halon legal again? I heard stories that this was miracle firefighting stuff (i.e. a classroom full of firefighters asked to hold up their lit cigarette lighters, halon sprayed over their heads, all lighters went out, no harm to firefighters), but it was banned as a "greenhouse chlorinated gas".

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Unless you are dry camping...switch the fridge to electric. Problem solved. Never had a problem with a fridge in over 30 years of camping.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Got any details on the halon system you installed? Or is it the engine compartment system on Mac's site?

It's the engine compartment system...Mac suggested it will work just as well in the rear fridge compartment...

RanCarr

Not sure what your reading or what your hearing about concerning fridge recalls. I have never heard of a fridge causing a fire, although I guess it could happen if you let trash or bugs or spiders get in the area where the unit is. I know of one recall or service update where a shield was installed near the burner area, but these things been in rv's for many years.

Jim M

I've seen it mentioned more than once on www.RV.net and other forums.

RanCarr

In the twenty two or so years I have been towing a hard side trailer, I have never heard of a refrigerator causing a fire. This is a guess, but I think most propane fires are a result of someone making a modification that the did not know how to do properly. Propane refrigerators have been used safely for a great many years and if there were inherent problems with them, they would have been well known a long time ago.

This does make me feel better. Why are there recalls on them then? What is the problem causing recalls? Just wondering........ ???

RanCarr

There was a motorhome at our park in Florida that burned while the owners were
away for a few weeks.It was the fridge that caused the fire but never heard the full
details but it was a very nice 40 ft Class A.
Winnebago are starting to use electric only fridges in their high end class A units
but not sure why.Due to the recalls I also have concern with fridge fires.

Thank you. I was almost starting to think I'm the only one with concerns about fires. We don't dry camp too often but when we do I worry when we have to leave the RV. And I've noticed all my worries center around the propane issues - heat, stove, fridge, water heater. The RV is insured, but our cats are not replaceable like a radio or some clothing. When dry camping for the night we do use the cook stove to make coffee and the heat if it's cold and of course for the fridge. Even with insurance, who would want to go through something like an RV fire far from home? :( Once in the campgrounds we seldom need propane for anything, but have forgotten and left it on a few times.

RanCarr

There are cases of absorption fridges and fires. Most have been attributed to fridges manufactured circa 2000 to 2010 (mostly early 2000's) . It applies to specific models and specfic serial numbers (S/N). Both Dometic and Norcold have made changes to their fridges to address the concerns. You can check your specific fridge with your Serial Number.

Dometic Recall

Norcold Recall

According to one Fire Investigator and 2004 stats (“U.S. Vehicle Fire Trends & Patterns”, NFPA Fire Research Division, Feb 2004), there are on average 4000 RV fires per year --> LINK. Not sure how many are directly attibuted to fridges.

Proper maintenance, operator awareness and following ALL manufacturer recommended practices (ie regular inspection and cleaning of the comparment to reduce dust and eliminate debris; watching out for signs of absorption system deterioration etc) will provide MANY years of trouble free operation.

If in doubt, have certified technicians inspect the RV fridge on a frequency that makes you feel comfortable in your unit; maufacturer recommends this be done at least once per year (I think; check your manual).

Not trying to instill a widespread fear of RV fridges, just sharing what I know. There are cases of failure and resulting damage.

Brian

Thank you. I'll discuss this with the spouse and see about making sure there's noting flammable in the vent. Bug nests, bits of leaves... or whatever. Will also read that PDF file when offline. I know when an RV burns it goes up quickly like a mobile home. I also suspect smoking (we're non smokers) is behind many fires in RVs and in homes. Or someone uses the stove-top for a heat source. People will do dumb things without thinking.

Since there is a dealer not far from us who works on Heartland trailers, we will probably take it there for checkups. :) I'm also going to check the Norcold recall list. We got the TT this spring so we're not sure what year the fridge is.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Just to clarify, the engine compartment extinguishers promoted by Mac are NOT halon. They are a "Cold Fire" product, which is a wetting/encapsulating agent. Probably similar (if not identical) to the FireAde extinguisher agent. It's a registered name.

http://www.fm200.biz/coldfire.htm

The sprinkler heads on the extinguishers are made to disperse a liquid, not a gas. Halon systems work as a gas.

RanCarr

It appears that some posts have been removed from this thread. Is my memory failing me? They were about a plan to escape our RVs should there ever be a fire while we are in them.