Duramax "rev limiter"

Gary Steeves

On a recent trip, I was in tow-haul mode and stepped on the petal pretty hard to get around a slow moving truck and the engine appeared to die. No check engine light, all gauges were normal - just wouldn't go over 2,000 rpm. I pulled to side of road, checked everything out the best I could. I found that from turning the ignition off, I could reset whatever was limiting the rpm's. All was well, but was more sensitive to this problem during remainder of trip. I figured some sort of a faulty rev limiter.

Chevy dealer informed me that the fuel filter should be replaced every 15,000 miles if towing a lot. I had 41,000 on mine and he said I was lucky not to have come in on the hook. Since this is my first diesel, now I know better ! The filter was starving the fuel flow.

Also, Chevy found that my air filter was not for a diesel engine. A gas engine filter the local oil change company put on will not handle the volume of air being pulled in by the turbo. I was not aware they had put on the wrong filter.

Best to stay with GM parts, spend the extra money and stay off the side of the road !!!

ct0218

GM built that feature into the Duramax to protect it from damage. It allows you to limp to a service facility--not very fast, but you will get there. A good forum for new GM diesel owners is Dieselplace.com. Like this site, it is an excellent source of information. By the way, from test results on that forum it was determined that the OEM air filter was about as good as you could get for flow and efficiency. Towing or not, 15K on the fuel filter is the interval. Make sure you're using the latest generation of fuel filters and not the older superceded filter.

C

Chulinw

Remember to change the fuel filter because it does stop lots of junk and water from getting into the injectors. I have the drive information center on my duramax and it tells me how much the filter has been used. I always change mine at 10k and even have installed a pre-filter and change it at 20K miles. If you do it yourself you are just looking at a few $ but if a dealer changes it then $85.00. It takes me about 20 mintues to change the filter.

nhunter

I don't know about the Duramax (I'm sure it would happen), but with the Powerstroke they say many injectors are taken out due to fuel starvation.

on edit: I guess I should have said fuel starvation due to fuel filters being plugged= fuel quality

Last edited:

ct0218

The problems with the early Duramax engines was strictly fuel quality, not starvation as far as I have ever heard. The diesel here in the US is a lower quality than in Europe, and the injection system is Bosch, so it took GM a few years to conclude that better filtration was needed, hence the 3 generations of filters. Dirty and contaminated tanks were OK with naturally aspirated and standard injection systems, but all three US truck mfgrs now use a high pressure rail system and the fuel has to be clean. Make sure you buy from high volume stations and truck stops, less likely to get bad fuel. Also, if a tanker is there unloading when I pull in-I leave. I think dumping a load in a storage tank is bound to stir up everything settled on the bottom.

ChopperBill

I had a new filter installed on a "recall" that was the new 2 micron style. It went into the limp mode after only 9,000 miles with the new filter.

ct0218

I don't understand what Japan has to do with it. The engine is built in Ohio, always has been, and the injection system is made in Germany. The plant was co-owned by Isuzu and GM, with GM owning the majority of the stock. GM now solely owns it, and it is still built in Moraine, Ohio.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
What brand of fuel filter are you guys using? I bought a WIX filter but haven't put it in yet. The plan is to change filters just before the trip to Goshen. Two other Duramax owners suggested WIX.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Gm diesel fuel filters are all made by the same company only badged under different names --WIX-AC- BALDWIN-etc. buy cheapest. www.kennedydiesel.com order 6 for $150.00 = $25.00 each, no shipping. You know your gonna need them. KEN

ct0218

From what I have been able to determine, regardless of the name on the box, they are all made by Racor. I've used Wix, NAPA, and GM and they are identical. Go for price (but NOT from the dealer-they're outrageous). Just changed out a GM today on my truck, put on a NAPA, and side by side there was no difference. I always keep a spare in the truck, just happens to be a Wix this time, and even the O ring packaging is identical in the Wix and NAPA boxes.

ChopperBill

Ray LeTourneau said:
What brand of fuel filter are you guys using? I bought a WIX filter but haven't put it in yet. The plan is to change filters just before the trip to Goshen. Two other Duramax owners suggested WIX.

Wix makes CarQuest filters. The last numbers in the part numbers are even the same. Fuel filter is Racor built. If you get a CarQuest make sure it is the latest one, the early filter is something around 8 microns compared to the 2 micron now used.

L'l John

My Chevy dealer just changed my fuel filter. The filter price was $25.92 + tax.
By the time I used up 6 filter changes, I would probably not even remember where my filter stash is stored.

ct0218

Li'L John
You must have one of those rare good dealers--excellent price. Allso, John Kennedy does a good business, good prices.