ATF: ElkRidge - Slide leaking, wet carpet

aanderson

We just purchased a ER 29BHCK and had it delivered to us in Alaska. When we picked it up and ran the slide out, the carpet was Soaked!! Just the carpet that gets exposed with the slide out. Question is, could the slide be out of adjustment? It runs in and out smooth, and from what I can tell all the gaskets are there. We are too far away to take it to a dealer, and it rains constantly here, so I really need to get this fixed ASAP! Is it possible that the gasket that surrounds the slide did not flip correctly when the slide was brought in before it left to come up here, and let water splashed from the tires inside the coach? What options do you recommend to install a double gasket to prevent this from happening again? Thanks for your help.

Besides the wet nasty carpet, this coach is very nice and we are looking forward to enjoying it.

davidg

We have a bighorn if yours is the same as ours their is a piece of metal above the tires (sheet metal) at the outside end it turns up where it meets the wall just above that it will meet the floor that seam (corner) you will see (may take a flash light) put silicone from one end to the other and see what that does for you.
Good luck and enjoy you new toy
David

aanderson

Found the area you were talking about and laid down a layer of silicone. The bigger the glob, the better the job!! I'll let you know how it turns out, thanks Dave!

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Hopefully you have the leak stopped! A couple of thoughts...make sure the end corners of the slide have the rubber wedge block to help keep water out. Sometimes these are missing or not secure and water can enter in the corner areas. Also, just my personal preference but consider using a sealant designed for RV use rather than silicone. Something like Dicor, Proflex, or Sikaflex (either the polyurethane or silane terminated polymer) It seems there is a constant debate about the use of silicone sealants especially for RV exterior applications.

Best Wishes!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with SJH. I would avoid silicone. Another good sealant is Quad, used for sticks and bricks. Around 10 bucks.

Peace
Dave

goodtruck

We had a leak in one of our slides it was a window that was leaking they missed a screw hole putting the outside and inside half's together and the screw that missed the hole held the outside seal out just far enough to leak.