Front Cap Fading

I have a 2011 Big Country, the top of the cap is fading from bright Gray to a dull light Gray. is this a problem with the gell coat in the fiberglass???

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Re: Frount Cap Fading

Wow...that's scary! Have you treated it with anything? So far ours is fine and it is stored outside.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator

If there is one major factor in the gel coat fading, it would be the excess AZ sunshine/UV. It's harsh out there. One winter in Indio really took the shine from our Bighorn. I even had a guy in the park use an orbital buffer to try to remove the oxidation and restore the finish but it's not as good as it was before. I tried using some Meguires Ultimate Compound before the Rally in Goshen this year and made a good improvement but it think it's in need of a pro. Possibly a 600 to 800 wet sand and a fresh clear coat might help.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders

Ray, I have no first-hand experience with this product (Poliglow) but many people swear by it for aging gel-coats.

HappyKayakers

Would this work also as a preventative or moreso just to restore?

I applied Poli-Glow to front and rear caps this past January. Both still look fine. To do it properly, you first have to use their special cleaning method which takes off any remaining finish. Then apply 5-8 coats of Poli-Glow, in small sections. The coats go on quickly with about 60 sec dry time between coats. Afterwards, I believe you can touch up with extra coats when you notice fading, without stripping down finish again.

tsue

We have had our BC3250 since Feb 2011. Our front cap & rear are both fading. There were 3 new rigs at the rv center that had the same fading on them. Our dealer got the ok from heartland to get the front & back repainted. Apparently, they have a manufacturing problem that needs to be addressed. The paint should never fade that quickly. Ours has spent a good deal of the time under an rv carport when not on the road.

jimtoo

HI tsue,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
That is a disadvantage to a painted cap. Eventually it will fade due to sun exposure. There is a product call Coach Guard which is a 3M product that goes over the cap. It will protect it from the UV exposure. Many Motor Homes have it on them. We got it put on the front cap of our Landmark when it was new (in Elkhart on Hwy 19). It has done well to protect the cap.

Dave80

The top of my front cap started to fade after only owning it 6 months. Heartland haas approved the repair and am awaitinng parts.

That is a disadvantage to a painted cap. Eventually it will fade due to sun exposure.

Painted caps? Your kidding right? I was told by the dealer it was a gel coat. This was another feature that made the BC a more desired coach to us.

Can someone please validate this?

Thanks

rvn4fun

Our 2011 is doing the same thing, wondering if you could purchase a touchup paint to repair it. It is just the top 2 feet. Looks terrible.

GOTTOYS

I read about a couple Greystones somewhere with the same problem. If I understood it correctly it's not painted, its a colored gel-coat and there was a problem with the UV inhibitor. Or maybe I just dreamed that....I would check with heartland Customer Service before anyone else...Don

Aristakat

mine is 11 month old with exact same issue top area is fading rest is super shiny and waxed.... someone have a line to poliglow ?

Birchwood

A dark colour will fade as on a dark vinyl clad house.These dark full body coats on RV's
will be short lived.RVs typically follow the sun so can't be avoided