30/50 amp service

GCSA

I have a 2009 Cyclone 3795 and was just wanting to see if anyone could help me out. I have the trailer pluged in at my house its a 30 amp service right now. I am going to change it to 50 amp at some point. The question I have is when the trailer is currently pluged in I can run the first AC and all the 110 out lets. If i fire up the GEN it will run the rest of the trailer, Microwave, second AC, central Vac. My concern is that the 30 amp is only enough power for the first AC and the outlets. Once I switch over to a 50 AMP service will this fix my issues and allow me to run everything? This is my first trailer with a 50 amp system, so i am learning how it works. Thanks

branson4020

Icantre Member
If you install a 50A service for your rig, there is no doubt you will be able to run everything. But I have a question. When you say your 30A service only runs the 110V outlets and front AC, do you mean that the breaker trips if you try to run more, or do you mean those other circuits are simply unpowered?

DougS

Doug S
On 30 amp service, you should be able able run everything on your RV except the second AC. The 30 amp usually can only run 1 AC at a time. If you are having problems, you might check the controlling circuit breaker and wire to make sure it is on a true 30 amps service.

GCSA

Thanks guys this helps alot. When it is pluged into the 30 amp service there is no power to the second AC, Microwave or the central vac. As soon as I fire up the Gen everything works fine. Im not sure but when it is hooked up to a 30 amp service , some of the other circuits are unpowered.

danemayer

Each A/C unit pulls 15 Amps on high. Your power converter can pull a couple more amps when running in the background. So even though you don't seem to have much going on, you can exceed 30 Amps. The standard 50 Amp connection you find in a campground is actually two 50 Amp 110V lines. Plenty of power unless you do something non-standard in your electrical installation.

jimtoo

I have a 2009 Cyclone 3795 and was just wanting to see if anyone could help me out. I have the trailer pluged in at my house its a 30 amp service right now. I am going to change it to 50 amp at some point. The question I have is when the trailer is currently pluged in I can run the first AC and all the 110 out lets. If i fire up the GEN it will run the rest of the trailer, Microwave, second AC, central Vac. My concern is that the 30 amp is only enough power for the first AC and the outlets. Once I switch over to a 50 AMP service will this fix my issues and allow me to run everything? This is my first trailer with a 50 amp system, so i am learning how it works. Thanks

It sounds to me like the 50 to 30amp pigtail your using is defective, or possibly even the 50amp power cord has an open circuit. So your just feeding power to one side of the 50amp plug. You might also check your panel where the generator is hooked. I don't know, but there might be a breaker tripped or loose connection.

Let us know what you find.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

branson4020

Icantre Member
Thanks guys this helps alot. When it is pluged into the 30 amp service there is no power to the second AC, Microwave or the central vac. As soon as I fire up the Gen everything works fine. Im not sure but when it is hooked up to a 30 amp service , some of the other circuits are unpowered.

You probably have faulty or incorrectly wired 30A to 50A adapter, or maybe you are using one of those 3-way kludge connectors? If you have a normal, correctly functioning adapter, the 30A service should be supplying power to ALL the 110V outlets and appliances in your rig. It's then up to you to do a little intelligent power management and not try to run everything at once.

Last edited:

porthole

Retired
Jim is on point here. If you are using a 30 amp adapter, the two "hots" are tied together, giving you full voltage at your panel, may not be enough amps to run both your AC's, but certainly enough to run the fans on both units.

With the proper adapter, everything should work in the trailer, just not all at once.

hoefler

Are you using one of those cheater adaptors that hook up to 2 outlets and you just have one plugged in?? If so, one leg of your 50 amp will be dead.

GCSA

Thanks a lot everyone, right now I am using a 30 amp cordwith the 30 amp adaptor plug, all my outlets and one AC unit have power. I haven’t used the 50 amp cord yet or evenhooked the trailer up to a 50 amp service; I’m not sure what is hooked up inthe trailer to the 50 amp side of things. All I know is that the central vac,microwave, and second AC will not run. Ionly try to run one thing at a time to see what has power and what doesn’t, andwhat will work with the 30 amp power. I will go out and look at all thebreakers but none of them were tripped last time I checked. I do know this is a true 30 amp plug, it’s not one of theadaptor deals that use two plugs. Thanks for the tips.

hoefler

If all works on your generator, I would try it with you 50 amp cord. Sounds like you adaptor is bad. The 30-50 amp adaptor ties both hot lead together in the 50 amp cord. Use a meter and check the 50 amp end of your adaptor when it is plugged into a 30 amp receptacle. You should have 110 volts on both side pins when you test them to ground ( round pin ) or common ( middle blade ). If not replace the adaptor.

jnbhobe

If you are using a yellow Marinco 30 to 50 amp adapter tooked to a 30 amp extention cord you probably have a bad jumper in the twist on connector. Slide the ring off and pull back the cover to check. Unplug the electric first..