water regulators- connect at the faucet or at the camper?

Rodney_M

After reading another thread with a slightly different topic, it got me curious as to where most people connected their water pressure regulators, at the faucet before the hose or at the camper after the hose is connected to the faucet.

some have mentioned too low of water pressure if between faucet/ hose, where others mention it can increase odds of a hose busting if between camper and hose (no pressure regulation to prevent the build up in hose).

also, any certain brands recommended over others?

hoefler

I use an adjustable regulator on the spigot before any hoses. If the water pressure is below 50 psi with out the regulator, I don't use one. My regulator is set at 50 psi. The non adjustable regulators will drop your water pressure too much if the incoming pressure is low.

Rodney_M

thanks for the info.. my current regulator is fixed, sounds like i need to get it replaced with an adjustable model.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I likewise, use an adjustable regulator connected to the faucet. I also have it set on 50 psi. If pressure is is less than 50 psi without it then I do not use it.

JonV

Like you Rodney, my regulator is not adjustable. I connect mine in the system after the filter.

danemayer

I have an adjustable regulator at the input to the water filter but if the campground has high pressure, I'll put an extra regulator at the faucet. Note that pressure and flow are different. You can have 50 PSI with low flow (cheap regulators). Low flow feels a lot like low pressure - your wife won't be able to rinse the shampoo out of her hair.

Here's a good reference: http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/ABPressure.htm
They also sell high-flow regulators. Here's another site that sells non-adjustable high-flow regulators intended for irrigation (look for high flow regulators near the bottom of the page). You'll need to get adapter fittings from Home Depot to get them to fit faucets and hoses. http://www.dripworksusa.com/store/pressreg.php?lnk=left

Rodney_M

great info Danemayer.. the link was very informative.. I am also running a filter, so looks like I need to possibly look for a larger filter as well to help get better flow to my rv.. it hasnt been bad, but definitely room for improvement. i think the adjustable regular that allows for the higher flow, and also a slightly larger filter should do the trick/.

rebootsemi

I use a Valterra A01-1117VP full flow adjustable regulator at the park connection. The cheapo non adjustable regulators are nothing but trouble, low flow they only have about a 3/8" port in them and if you are connected to a park that has high pressure most of them will not hold pressure at 45, they will creap up if you are dead headed for any length of time.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I just picked up this regulator at Lowes in the discount bin - less then $14. Too good to pass up.

http://www.watts.com/pages/_products_details.asp?pid=3429
Nice find! We have the watts adjustable but put it in front of the filters. The only reason I don't put it at the park spigot is to reduce the chance of it getting "borrowed" or better yet, forgotten. Our hoses are good for 300psi anyway so hopefully no worries.

rebootsemi

Nice find! We have the watts adjustable but put it in front of the filters. The only reason I don't put it at the park spigot is to reduce the chance of it getting "borrowed" or better yet, forgotten. Our hoses are good for 300psi anyway so hopefully no worries.

The Watts is a very good quality reg, only reason I went with the Valterra is quality and it has a built in pressure gauge.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
The Watts is a very good quality reg, only reason I went with the Valterra is quality and it has a built in pressure gauge.
Actually, I think I have a Watts. It might be a Valterra for all I know. Ours has a gauge as well. I had the option for basic or oil filled. I went with the oil filled.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
My regulator is on the output side of the filter system. Initially, I had it on the input side, but over the summer, the filter screen in it collected residue and plugged up. Might as well let the sediment filter catch it. I've added a water meter so I can gage how much water I use on the filters and when adding water to the black tank to "recharge" it. The 50ft. of hose is from RV Water Source, as is everything else (except the water meter).

Rodney_M

that is a nice setup JohnDar how you have all the devices incorporated into the storage box.. keeps it simplified for when you go to hook everything up. I think I may have to engineer one to look similar to that.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
that is a nice setup JohnDar how you have all the devices incorporated into the storage box.. keeps it simplified for when you go to hook everything up. I think I may have to engineer one to look similar to that.

Thanks! But I've adopted and modified the idea from others. One other nice thing is that everything, including the 50ft. hose will fit in there to load into the basement for storage/transport.

aatauses

I used to have ours outside near the park's faucet, however after much rain/snow it was taking a beating being outside. I then made a few minor changes inside the docking station and put the pressure regulator in there. I have an adjustable watts 263A.al

gmc

Reitired - California-Central Chapter Leaders
my adjustable guage is attached at the trailer. if you look at the hose packing most are rated at about 6oo psi. I use a braided line at a spigot at the camp ground we host and it is rated at 1600 psi

porthole

Retired

Yes it was a good find Ray, and there was another sittting on the shelf, going back for it today. This one doesn't have a gauge, but I have found stainless steel, 1.5" 0-100 psi gauges that I will be ordering. I'll use the 2nd Watts to experiment, drill and tap the boss on the bottom (that is where the factory mounted gauges are).

Thanks again for the deal on the JT's used about 3/4's of the parts along with a new kit. I have them on my rear hydraulic jacks.