Underbelly repair

gonervn

Bill & Sallie
I had a leak in the underbelly and covering was cut to gain access by the dealer. What is the best way to piece it back together. The dealer used tape which of course didn't stick very long. Of course I didn't notice that until the tape started to fall down. My bad for not checking.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Gorilla tape seems to work well. I've used it to secure some smaller openings I've made. Depending on where the openings are and the size, you might be able to put some wood strips above the openings, spanning them, and screw the coroplast to that. Then cover the cuts with the Gorilla tape. Be sure to clean the surface (Windex works) before applying the tape.

GOTTOYS

Gorilla tape works well. I've never tried it but I heard Eternabond tape works well too, although it's much more expensive...Don

DougS

Doug S
I had a broken water fitting coming from the water tank this summer, so I cut the cloroplast at the metal cross member. I carry black flashing which is 6" wide. The flashing (tape) held well for the trip. I used alcohol to clean the surface before using the flashing.

brianharrison

If the cloroplast is cut where there is no metal support, I have added a 2x4 (or 1x4) cut to length to fit inside both sides of the frame and I use wood screws with flat washers to screw both cut sides of the cloroplast to the wood to add support. Then I tape with the 4" wide underbelly tape.

Just a suggestion.

Brian

caissiel

Why would a dealer cut the coroplast sheeting. It took me 5 mnutes to lower it the other day to run more electrical wires and check all my tank supports, and 5 more minutes to screw it back on.
And only taping it, it surely is a bad service by this dealer.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Why would a dealer cut the coroplast sheeting. It took me 5 mnutes to lower it the other day to run more electrical wires and check all my tank supports, and 5 more minutes to screw it back on.
And only taping it, it surely is a bad service by this dealer.

Good question. I unfastened most of one side while installing the brackets and wiring for my rear Ground Control jacks. Careful use of an 18V Bosch Impact Driver and no problems. And I was laying on my back in the dirt doing it. The small cuts I made were so I could get a wrench on the fasteners for the rear brackets through the frame and feed in the wire harnesses.

lilriver

Take it back to the dealer and tell them to fix it right. The covering wasn't cut when you took it to the dealer. They should have replaced the covering. Now water can get into your under belly when your driving in the rain, bugs can also get into your under belly now too.