North Trail 28BH 5th Wheel

JeremyN

Does anyone have one of these trailers? I was approached with a deal to buy a new one of these and the dealer says that I can pull it with my 2000 GMC Sierra 1500 truck. I called my local GM dealership and they said my truck has an 8000lb towing capacity. I would more than likely put the air bags in if we were to go with the 5th wheel, but would I comfortably be able to pull this?

I currently have a 28BRS that I am pulling with this same truck. It pulls it fine, but everyone that I talked to said that I should have gotten a 5th wheel because of how nice they pull. Everyone that I talked to said the truck will handle it much better and pull much better than our regular trailer that we have now. If I would go and get this new 28BH 5th wheel, would I really see that much of an improvement in pulling?

Thanks for any advice or insight you all might have!

Jeremy

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Jeremy,

We just traded up from a North Trail travel trailer to a 2011 North Trail 29RE fifth wheel. I believe the 28BH and the 29RE are the same length, 30'5". Pin weight around 1400 lbs. I just had it weighed a few weeks ago. It was loaded with normal gear for a weeks worth of camping, with no water and all tanks were empty. It was at 8420 lbs. It tows great, but so did the N.T. travel trailer. Love the layout and the 5r. We are loaded up and ready to head out to the Heartland rally near Washington DC. Can't wait.

Good luck with your decision.
Jamie

JeremyN

We ended up staying with our current 28BRS. I looked at a ton of 5th wheels, but in the end, we thought we would give it another year or two before we made the switch.

Thanks for asking though!

Marge

All who wander are not lost.
We ended up staying with our current 28BRS. I looked at a ton of 5th wheels, but in the end, we thought we would give it another year or two before we made the switch.

Thanks for asking though!
We were toying with the idea of a 5th wheel too, but we like having the entire pick-up bed for extra storage.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
We were toying with the idea of a 5th wheel too, but we like having the entire pick-up bed for extra storage.

We found that the additional storage that we gained when we switched from the T.T. to the fifth wheel, almost cleared the entire bed of the truck. The only thing that we carry in the bed is the storage box for the sewage hoses. We plan on adding a hitch to the 5er over the winter, to carry our bikes. Although, you can never have enough storage.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We found that the additional storage that we gained when we switched from the T.T. to the fifth wheel, almost cleared the entire bed of the truck. The only thing that we carry in the bed is the storage box for the sewage hoses. We plan on adding a hitch to the 5er over the winter, to carry our bikes. Although, you can never have enough storage.

Just remember when you add that hitch you will void your frame warranty.