Ramp Door Rot???

anjinsan

I have a 2007 3712 Cyclone that I am having a love/hate relationship...and right now it is hate. This weekend I pulled one of the handles to drop the ramp to load a 4-wheeler. The handle came off in my hand. Ok no big deal. Then my son noticed the ramp covering has buckled and it is tearing/cracking along the metal hinge pieces on the outside bottom.

Has anyone ever had to replace the ramp door?

I just purchased this from Dean's RV in Oklahoma ( bad, bad experience) and have had the fresh water tank literally fall on the ground, the shower leaks like all over the storage area, generator go out within hours of purchasing it, front stabilizers fail,....I could go on and on. Love the room but I think I got a real bad trailer.

Anyway, I think the entire back ramp needs replaced. Can I do this myself???

anjinsan

jimtoo

Hi anjinsan,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

Did you get a warranty from your dealer when you purchased the unit? I hope your contacting and working with your dealer if you received a warranty.
Please let us know of the outcome.

Meanwhile I am moving the thread to the Cyclone area, since it is a unique unit with the door, ramp combination. Hopefully some of our other owners will have an idea as to help with repairs. It would help if you would post some pictures of the problem also.

Jim M

rustyshakelford

sorry about your bad luck. if these past issues are an indication of the possibility of whats to come you might look into an extended warranty to help with the unforeseen problems

good luck with getting it fixed. I think the door manufacture is lippert components

brett

trvlrerik

In my opinion there must be a problem with water, All of the systems you listed can be adversly effected by water. My rear door gets wet a lot from washing down the garage with a hose at least twice a week during the summer, but after washing down it gets dry pretty quickly in the summer. My door is water tight when it rains, and does leak a little when I wash with high pressure water around the seams.

If I have my Cyclone sitting nose down it will hold a small amount of water in the ledge along the bottom of the door but the door does not contact this bottom ledge. I am wondering if your door is sitting on this ledge allowing water to weep up into the door material.
As far as changing the door out yourself, in my opinion if you do not have the setup to build jigs to drill the holes in the laminate sheet, and suspend the door, there is a huge chance to ruin a very expensive panel. I would have somebody from Heartland look at it to find out why this is happening then proceed, In my experience the customer service department want you to be happy with your Cyclone. Good Luck.

anjinsan

Thanks for all your quick replies.

jimttoo - No warranties. The dealership has been unbelievably difficult. Basically once the wheels left the lot I was on my own. As I said, very bad experience. Honestly, it has been the worst experience of my life purchasing a product. Thanks for moving the thread. I will go to the Cyclone area in the future.

rustyshackleford - thanks for the suggestion. I am not sure anyone will give me an extended warranty. Used trailer....buyer beware....Dean's RV saw me coming.

trvlrerik - You are right. Water all the way. After purchasing it, I did some research. The dealership told me it was a trade in. I found out it was purchased at an auction in Texas and was originally sold in Louisiana. I think it spent a great deal of time in the salt spray as it is very rusty in places. The trailer may have even been flooded...who knows. Certainly there are no Heartland dealerships anywhere close to me.

I take responsibility for not researching further. My bad and I learned a big lesson. I am 1000 miles away from the dealership and they know it. What am I going to do....take it back?

Anyway thanks again for your responses.

anjinsan

trvlrerik

I have heard of people from Wyoming going down to the Longmont Colorado area for RV repairs. I do not have any specific dealership info, but there is a lot of dealers in the area with a wide range of services available. Highway 25 is literally lined with dealerships in that area.

gpshemi

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/23780-Ramp-Failure!

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/23093-Water-leak-and-now-a-major-floor-replacement

Cyclone Traveler

Ok, so I'm not the only one. I have, purchased new, a 2008 3210 which the ramp door decided on this last trip to begin slitting at the hing bolts without a load. Just starting to see how to repair and or replace as I load Harleys and Quads on regulary and would hate for the door to fall in mid load! Please post your approach to the repairs.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Dont know if the Good Sam warrenty covers any body parts....but you might look into it. Where in Wyoming are you. HL has several dealers in MT. One in Billings and a couple in NW MT. But for sure call HL service and talk to them and have your VIN# handy. Hope the your Cyclone was not a hurricane victim. Did it come with a clear title....not a salvage title??