My Onan 5500...HOT!!

wingfoot

I just purchased a 5r that has an Onan 5500 factory installed. I've been using it on a trial run..runs both my AC's (13,00 and 15,000) without a blink. But I have noticed the case gets very, very hot. This may be normal, but it sure heats up the area it's installed in. (under front cap) It is, as designed, exhausting out the bottom. I have seen other fifth-wheel that have what appears to be a vented area in the from basement access door. Others I've seen do not..So, what have you guys done to cope with the heat?

Thanks,
James

wingfoot

I just purchased a 5r that has an Onan 5500 factory installed. I've been using it on a trial run..runs both my AC's (13,00 and 15,000) without a blink. But I have noticed the case gets very, very hot. This may be normal, but it sure heats up the area it's installed in. (under front cap) It is, as designed, exhausting out the bottom. I have seen other fifth-wheel that have what appears to be a vented area in the from basement access door. Others I've seen do not..So, what have you guys done to cope with the heat?
James

Here is an addendum to my original post. I found this information on Onan's site. This is an excerpt from their Installation Manual. And, this was/is a factory install. I was just wondering how many of the other Onan owners have this poor factory installation. Upon investigation, I found I had an exit hole on the left side of the case that was not sealed. The hole was approximately 2''X4'' and two wires exited thru the hole. There was a noticeable amount of hot air exiting the hole. This was not exhaust air, I suspect it was a product of the "air cooling process". If your install compartment is getting extremely hot...check this hole..

Screen shot 2011-08-09 at 8.13.02 AM.jpg

Sorry for the size..click on the image to enlarge.

danemayer

My Onan 5500 factory install has an exhaust pipe that carries the exhaust out to the driver side below the cargo hatch. If your exhaust goes out under the generator, you may not have a factory install, with whatever else that might imply.

I haven't really checked on how hot things get, but I haven't notice any significant heat from the genny.

mountain1

I have over 550 hours on mine. the exhaust goes toward the rear then off to the driver's side. Some heat goes straight down but not much. With the front cover on the generator the unit nor the casing gets hot.

wingfoot

My Onan 5500 factory install has an exhaust pipe that carries the exhaust out to the driver side below the cargo hatch. If your exhaust goes out under the generator, you may not have a factory install, with whatever else that might imply.

I haven't really checked on how hot things get, but I haven't notice any significant heat from the genny.

I do have an exhaust pipe that goes out the side of the trailer..So, I'll assume that's the correct install:eek:

porthole

Retired
Small engine, running high speed, air cooled - it is going to get hot.
I will usually just unlatch the door when using the genny, or latch it open, especially when letting it cool down.

campers2

I think WINGFOOT's complaint is that there should be no exchange of air between the engine compartment and storage compartment. Any holes that accommodate wiring should be sealed.

wingfoot

I think WINGFOOT's complaint is that there should be no exchange of air between the engine compartment and storage compartment. Any holes that accommodate wiring should be sealed.

Correct Camper2, that's the problem. I sealed the hole in the case and I can already tell a difference. I just don't understand this wasn't done on installation..Just like I said in one of my earlier post.."today more than ever we seem to get things in "Kit Form"...It's up to the consumer to correct shoddy/incompetent work....Kinda sad

jimtoo

Since the unit is a 2008 model and you just purchased it, did you get original build sheets showing it was a factory install? Were the wires that were in the hole in the wall a factory install? Where and what do they go to?

Just wondering how you know all this is factory work?

Jim M

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I open the hatch door in hot weather, but I had to resist the urge to take the cover off the genny while running. If I am not mistaken, the instructions say not to remove it during operation, as it decreases the ability of the fan to cool it down.
Trace

Last edited:

jbeletti

wingfoot,

Consider taking pictures of what you feel are install errors and email them into Heartland Customer Service at service@heartlandrvs.com. Include your VIN and contact information. Then follow-up a couple days later with a phone call to discuss (877-262-8032). If this is an install miss, it needs to be corrected.

Jim

wingfoot

wingfoot,

Consider taking pictures of what you feel are install errors and email them into Heartland Customer Service at service@heartlandrvs.com. Include your VIN and contact information. Then follow-up a couple days later with a phone call to discuss (877-262-8032). If this is an install miss, it needs to be corrected.

Jim

Will do..let me get my Kodak out..:)

Delaine and Lindy

In the past I have owned the Onan 5500, excellent Generator, when using the Generator which had the exhaust out to the drivers side. However I also when operating the generator I would open the door in hot weather which would allow hot air out also. I have a Generator in Tool box by Mountain Motors from Az, its a 5500 and sits in the truck bed. I no longer use it. As a matter of fact I wouldn't buy a onboard Generator for my use, really didn't use it enough. After this summer I will be buying a Honda 3000 for emergency use only. In Oklahoma this past July the RV park lost power, and it was hot. So I will be mounting a Honda 3000 on the rear of the 5er for just emergency use only. And the Honda 3000 is a very portable Generator and can be use on the Farm the 4 months we aren't traveling.. Happy Trails...

Vtxkid

Small engine, running high speed, air cooled - it is going to get hot.
I will usually just unlatch the door when using the genny, or latch it open, especially when letting it cool down.

To clarify, thats the door of the RV and not the access door of the genny its self. That would kill the genny's cooling capibility.

wingfoot

Since the unit is a 2008 model and you just purchased it, did you get original build sheets showing it was a factory install? Were the wires that were in the hole in the wall a factory install? Where and what do they go to?

Just wondering how you know all this is factory work?

Jim M

Wires coming from the case appear to go to the battery the other, I don' know. I was told by the previous owner it was a factory install. Now, he could have had Onan do the install...Onan's mid-south region maintenance/parts terminal/sales office is located in my city and this is where the camper was bought new.. No build sheet..So, I guess when I say it was a factory install it would be supposition on my part

Last edited:

porthole

Retired
To clarify, thats the door of the RV and not the access door of the genny its self. That would kill the genny's cooling capibility.

Not sure what you mean here Jerry.
I am referring to the front storage compartment. The Genset itself is in a sealed box, so the storage door being open should not affect eh cooling capability.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Wingfoot, call HL as Jim B. stated with your VIN# and they tell you if they (HL) installed the genset or not.

wingfoot

wingfoot,

Jim

Here ya go..Also, I sent Heartland a copy.
In the picture you will see where I covered the hole with silver Duct tape.
As I stated earlier, covering this hole has made a noticeable change in the interior compartment.:D
Thanks for you help and concern.

100_9684.JPG