Searching for the best short queen mattress

olybldr55

Probably a common question here but which is the best replacement short queen mattress? The one from the factory is not comfortable for us. I see prices from a few hundred dollars to over a thousand and brands unknown to us. We appreciate your help and suggestions.

Thanks, Gary Allsup Olympia, Washington.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hello olybldr55 and welcome to the forum. Lots of good information here.
One thing that some people including myself have done is add a good layer of memory foam on top of the mattress. Ours is very comfortable for us.
But what we like may not be for someone else. Same with a mattress change.

Peace
Dave

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
olybldr, welcome to the Heartland Forum. As cookie mentioned, a good memory foam topper helps a lot. We opted for the select-air but being full time it was worth the investment for us. If you have a Verlo store nearby, go in and test a few and get a price for a custom built mattress in your price and comfort range.

GOTTOYS

We added a 3" memory foam topper and just as important, I made a brace to fit across the middle, under the bed and give extra support to prevent sagging. We would rather sleep in the trailer than on our almost new bed at home...Don

Wharton

Are you sure you need a short queen?? Ours measures the regular queen size(60x80). We are looking also. We used ours one season and it is uncomfortable, I am just going to the different mattress stores and seeing what they have but we need to wait until the trailer is home so we can have it delivered to the trailer and the old one taken away. I have heard the Original Mattress Factory is good but have no experience. I would go with the bigger names(Sealy,Serta). I would not go for the 3 piece foam mattress that is available, Ihave heard that after a few years the foam starts breaking down.............

rustyshakelford

bed in a box has an rv queen for 600ish. Were thinking about getting one for the cyclone and the house. We sleep on them at work and love it.

brett

supernan1414

Like others have mentioned memory foam topper is what we have done. That said another problem presented, even deep pocket queen sheets pop up during the night. I have tried the under the mattress hooks someone mentioned in another tread, that worked for a few days but not great, plus they are really difficult to hook, at least they are in our 3185 Bighorn. The last time I changed the sheets I brought the spare king sheets I have for our bed at home. That works great. The corners have not popped up and I did not hook up the under mattress hooks.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have a Tempurpedic at the house and I am spoiled as far as beds go. However, I could not justify shelling out for another one for the BH.
This is a reasonable facsimile for a fraction of the cost. http://www.plushbeds.com/?cPath=11&osCsid=8ee8a762b7c29ccbdbcf85324d4a90ac
We are very happy with the RV deluxe memory foam 8" mattress. Had it for 6 months and it is great! Plus they are great to deal with. Had it to my door in less than a week.
Tried the 3' memory foam topper on the factory mattress and it just didn't cut it.
Trace

Last edited:

hoefler

Check with mattress stores and ask if they can custom make one for you. We replaced our king with a pillow top and had them make it to fit, cost an extra $70, we paid $900 for a custom built mattress.

lwmcguir

I have a Tempurpedic at the house and I am spoiled as far as beds go. However, I could not justify shelling out for another one for the BH.
This is a reasonable facsimile for a fraction of the cost. http://www.plushbeds.com/?cPath=11&osCsid=8ee8a762b7c29ccbdbcf85324d4a90ac
We are very happy with the RV deluxe memory foam 8" mattress. Had it for 6 months and it is great! Plush they are great to deal with. Had it to my door in less than a week.
Tried the 3' memory foam topper on the factory mattress and it just didn't cut it.
Trace

The folks mentioned here will make custom sizes and the queen works well for the king replacement.

jpdoggett

We added a 3" memory foam topper and just as important, I made a brace to fit across the middle, under the bed and give extra support to prevent sagging. We would rather sleep in the trailer than on our almost new bed at home...Don
olybldr: we also added a 3" memory foam topper to ours and we have the Kings mattress and we think it is very comfortable and we have a sleep number at home both are good

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
I purchased a custom mattress from http://www.gardnermattress.com/ several years ago for my TT and moved it to my Cyclone when I upgraded. I also purchased 3 more standard sizes for the house. It is by far the most comfortable mattress I have ever owned - but when you have them make one for your RV you need to tell them that is not going on a Box Spring - their standard design is built for their "real" box spring foundation. They will adjust the mattress to account for the lack of a box spring.

Not Cheap but I am a part time "Full Timer" so it is worth every penny for a good night's sleep.

Kevin :)

Limer

Probably a common question here but which is the best replacement short queen mattress? The one from the factory is not comfortable for us. I see prices from a few hundred dollars to over a thousand and brands unknown to us. We appreciate your help and suggestions.

Thanks, Gary Allsup Olympia, Washington.

Hi. I was at a RV dealership last week and walked through a SunnyBrook Harmony that had a short queen sized Serta pillow top matress. I was shocked when I saw it and had to lay on it. It was extrely comfortable. Maybe if you Google it you can locate one.

Wharton

We are also mattress hunting. I visited all 3 stores in the area. By far the best seemed to be "Original Mattress Factory". I don't know if they have a short queen, ours is a full length queen. The salesman was knowledgable, explained the differences between the mattress. Had cut aways of the mattresses. He also called his delivery guy to make sure there was no problem delivering to an RV. We ended up liking the ortho the best($599 for mattress)+$45 delivery+5(haulaway). We liked the mattress for its comfort but will add a memory foam topper(did not want it part of the mattress), the ability to turn the mattress over and handles on the side that were tied to the spring/frame so they don't rip out.

We came home and hit the internet. Highly rated, many people are very happy with them. Apparently comes in 2nd to Tempurpedic.

We have at home a Select Comfort air but would never consider one for the road: price and the need to let air out when you go up in altitude which you sometimes don't know about(Austin to El Paso).

Geonkat

Another option (although not cheap) is the Bear Bed http://www.bearbeds.com/

We had one in our previous trailer in a short queen and really enjoyed it. We sleep on a Slect Comfort at home and really like the individual firmness control. We custom ordered a 70x80 king to fit our Bighorn (the Ultra Bear) and added a memory foam topper. For anyone who likes sleeping on airbeds, this is another option. The folks are nice to work with for custom sizes and have free shipping.

George