TV in Landmark San Antonio

Maverick

I am a new member to this forum. Just bought a new Landmark San Antonio. Installed is a fancy Sharp 42" TV. My problem is it is not a swivel TV. It is fixed in place. I cannot find any way to get to the back of this TV to connect cables for the best reception. There is a coax cable leading direct to the TV but is basically useless with my equipment. I have a DirecTV receiver but cannot hook it up with an HDMI or other cables except AV. Dont have a coax output on this receiver as it is an older model. There is an installed Sony Home Theater unit but again no inputs for other hookups, ony AV cables direct to the TV. This works fairly well with movies and CD's but not for the DirecTV. I was able to connect the DirecTV receiver via a converter from RadioSchack but it doesnt give me the best picture as it uses AV cables from the receiver and direct connect to the coax into the TV. Must be a way to hookup with High Def connections. Otherwise what use is the fancy High Def TV. I have not cotacted the dealer or Heartland. Thought I would put this out there first to see if anyone had the same problem or have any ideas on the matter. Also get only five off the air channels on the living room TV from my roof antenna. In the bedroom I get maybe twenty from the same antenna.

jimtoo

Hi Maverick,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I think some others have had the same problem. You might do a search on the forum, but I'm sure some of the other members will jump in soon and help out with some information.

Enjoy the forum and your new Landmark.

Jim M

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Congratulations on your new Landmark. We also have a 42" TV which is on a fixed wallmount. The dealer told us to take the board off the top of the tv which should give you access to the tv. He went ahead and installed the hdmi cable for the DirecTv for us so we haven't taken the top off. We now want to install the blueray player as well so will have to let you know if we can do it.

TomMar

Retired Texas-South Chapter Leader
I believe Nabo is correct. We have the same TV in our KL and there are 3 screws holding the board that goes across the top. I pulled the screws and pushed the board back (it is too big to come straight out) and lifted the television off its mount. The board keeps it locked down.

Good Luck.

Maverick

Thanks for the info Nabo & TomMar. Sounds like a possibility but I am wondering what happens after taking off the board. Isnt the TV too heavy to lift off its mount? Can you reach in back after the board is loose or does the TV have to be taken out? Can you attach cables by feel or use a mirror to see the connection? Sounds like a job for two or more persons. I will have to experiment. Sounds like a design flaw. Should be able to utilize the TV to its fullest without all that work.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Thanks for the info Nabo & TomMar. Sounds like a possibility but I am wondering what happens after taking off the board. Isnt the TV too heavy to lift off its mount? Can you reach in back after the board is loose or does the TV have to be taken out? Can you attach cables by feel or use a mirror to see the connection? Sounds like a job for two or more persons. I will have to experiment. Sounds like a design flaw. Should be able to utilize the TV to its fullest without all that work.
Maverick, The LCD TV's are very light. A 42" is probably less than 30#. Once you remove the TV, you might investigate a different mount system that would make it easier to manage hook ups. Although, once you get everything connected, you might not have to remove it again.
Consider adding a set of hook-up cables for adding another device at a later time and label it for the input it's connected to.

TomMar

Retired Texas-South Chapter Leader
Maveric - Ray is right it is not very heavy. Once the LCD TV is is lifted off the mount I set a bath towel on the counter/lip in front of the TV and I connected my cables. I even connected a couple extra and took them up through the a hole in the cabinet above, where my DirectTV converter box is. The extra cables are not in the way and I can connect what I need.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
You've got some good information on removing the TV. When you have everything apart, check the back of your Sony Home Theatre system. There may be an audio fiber optic input. If there is you can run a fiber optic cable from your DTV receiver to the Sony. I was able to do this on my Panasonic and it works great.

Peace
Dave

Last edited:

danemayer

You might find this generic diagram helpful with respect to adding additional function. For example, if you want the surround sound to play TV output, you can add an RCA Phono connection between TV output and surround sound input (or in/out).

With respect to the limited # of channels on one TV, there have been quite a few posts recently about poor crimping of the coax connectors. You might have to check this out, or have a dealer do so.

Attachments

• Rushmore Entertainment Center Wiring.pdf
    16.6 KB · Views: 26

Maverick

TomMar
Thanks for the info. I was able to access the rear of the TV by removing the securing board. Put in an HDMI and a couple of others while I was at it. Had a little problem getting the board back in after remounting the TV but good so far. Other complaint is that there are not enough inputs and outputs on the Sony Entertainment System. Looks like they went cheap on the unit. Still experimenting as we have only had the Rig for a couple of weeks.