Quality is still missing at heartland

lilriver

Ok we got our rig back from the dealer a couple weeks ago, had to pay 71.00 dollars because heartland nor Dometic would cover the labor since the dealer couldn't find anything wrong with refer. When we got it home we hook up to the land line and ran the ac and the refer for a week and a half. The temp would go from 36 deg to 52 deg everyday even if we didn't open the door and act like it was being used. The out side temp was 100 + all week. I talked to a Heartland rep about the refer and was told that the refer was not going to stay cold when it is 90 to 100 degs outside. NICE looks like we'll be camping in the winter.
Now while the rig was in the drive I put water in it so our friend could stay in it. Thats when we found that the black tank and the gray tanks had dropped down. Took rig back to the dealer Monday. I talked to the dealer today and was told that heartland didn't put in the brace that holds the tanks in place. This cause the shut off to not close all the way and broke the drain pipes. Nothing like having poo all over the yard and my hands.
With all the negivative I have said we love this rig, and everyone that has looked at it just can't belive all the room in it and how it looks. I really hope someone from heartland is reading these post and steps up to the plate and does something about their Quality issues. We haven't been able to use our rig since May and its August now. Any body want to bet I will have to pay a labor charge again on my refer when I pick my rig up from the dealer this time.

ankie3467

It is disheartening for sure. From what I have read on this forum, maybe if you call Heartland customer service and get them involved something can be done. If I understand correctly--Dealers are not even checking with heartland or manufacture to check on warrenty issues. You know when we spend the kind of money it takes for these, you really would think there would be some customer service. That high of temp could cause food poisoning for sure!

davebennington

lilriver,

I believe you need to persue this problem further, We have been in 106 temps and the frig has stayed cold all day long. Call Heartland and get them involved.

Dave

lilriver

I did call heartland and talked to the rep and was told that if its over a 100 degs outside that the frig wasn't going to stay cold. I have a log that we kept everyday with the temp of the frig and the outside temp and the temp of the coach. My last trailer's frig was always cold.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
We are in the desert right now. It was 107 today. The refer is staying in the 30's to low 40's after the fix I mentioned in another thread.
I would find a different dealer, if that is possible.
I had a dealer try to charge me because they couldn't find a problem on an SOB. What??? I said because you can not find the problem, I have to pay, with no fix? Well guess what? They took another look and found the problem and fixed it.
I know it is a fine line for the repair facility, with regard to chasing phantom problems and not getting paid. Trace

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
what was wrong with your refer ?? what did the dealer do to fix the problem. Thanks Barry

Don't know if this will work for you but if your refer is in a slide, it may. This is from an earlier post. Trace

Re: Dometic
Yours is like mine, in a slide. You do not have a top vent out of the coach. There are two vents on the back of the refer., outside. This setup does not allow hot air to escape as easily as the rooftop style. IMHO
Have someone pull the top vent cover off. Mine only had about 2'' of air space above a sheet metal flange that was blocking 3/4 of the opening on the back of the fridge. Apparently this directs the air up and out for a roof vent, but it doesn't work so well for the back vent style, such as we have.
The dealers' tech cut about 3 to 4 inches off of this sheet metal flange going across horizontaly to allow more hot air to flow out at the top. This seems to have done the trick, as mine seems to be staying quite a bit cooler now. Trace​

<!-- edit note -->
<!-- //heartlandowners.org/images/buttons/edit_40b.png -->Last edited by TANDT; 1 Week Ago at 10:37 PM.

In fact, here's a link to the thread; //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/25729-Dometic?p=190931&highlight=#post190931​

lilriver

it does stay cooler on gas, top temp was 42deg without openning the frig up like we did when it was on electric. I think if we had opened it up every hr just like we did with the electric the temp would have went up higher then 42 degs.

lilriver

On gas the highest temp was 42 degs but we didn't open the frig every hr like we did for 2 days on electric. We used electric for a week and 2 of those days we opened the door every hr the next 3 days we opened the door every 2 hrs 52 degs on electric everyday.

bacaye

I have to add this. We were having the same problem. They opened the vents up behind the frig. which is also in the slide. The insulation had come out on each side of the frig and was covering and blocking the vent area. I think they also did something to the fan. Cold now and hope it stays that way.

ntoport

I have a 2012, BH 3585. My frig. would not get below 50 when it was 100 or 90 or 80. Had it back to the dealer 3 times. Then the owner got involved. Tech. found a fuse in the panel was not making good contact. Either while the 5th was moving or someone just walking around. Also had to replace a therm****** something, not thermostat or thermocoupler. Its now holding at 35 to 37 on the 3rd level.

tmcran

Our Sundance sets outside everyday at the ranch in West Texas .100+ last 38 days. Temp in refer yesterday 33 degrees on elect.

Herbiesrig

North Central Region Directors-Retired
What TANDT posted is correct and we also had a 3rd fan installed in the back of Refrig. no more worries for me about a warm refrig..

lilriver

I talked to David at heartland today, he had talked to the dealer where my rig is being worked on and he said that heartland was going to have another fan put on the refer and check out some other stuff to make sure they cover all the bases on my refer. I also sent him a copy of the bill from the last time my rig was at the dealer and he said that he would see about getting my money back. He did tell me that it is a heartland policy (that if the dealer works on your rig and doesn't find any problems its not covered and heartland won't pay for the dealer's time spent working on your rig).

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Most of the problems regarding cooling issues when fridges are on the slideout are due to the vents being on the sides and not the roof. If the fridge is not on the slide the vent is on the roof. Remember hot air rises. So the cure many times is to add an additional fan on the back of the fridge to help move the hot air up and out. The therm.... thing was probably a thing called the thermister which is inside the refrigerator on the fins. It should be on the right fin and when you move it up (it should slide up and down) it will lower the temp in the fridge. If it off the fin of defective it will affect the cooling.

Yellowreef

Most of the problems regarding cooling issues when fridges are on the slideout are due to the vents being on the sides and not the roof. If the fridge is not on the slide the vent is on the roof. Remember hot air rises. So the cure many times is to add an additional fan on the back of the fridge to help move the hot air up and out. The therm.... thing was probably a thing called the thermister which is inside the refrigerator on the fins. It should be on the right fin and when you move it up (it should slide up and down) it will lower the temp in the fridge. If it off the fin of defective it will affect the cooling.

I have read about the thermistor before but I have a question. Do you slide the actual thermistor up on its sleeve (in the clip) or do you move the clip higher up on the fin?