Door locks

Sakool

Who had the idea that every door has to use a different key? I have a 28BRS with 4 different keys. The two side entry doors both have a different key (look the same). My third key is for the two front storage doors. The fourth key is for the back storage area. Would have at least liked to see the two side entry doors have the same key. Can understand the storage doors being different.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
The 1st thing I would do is call HL service. Have you VIN# handy. They might be able to help you. They might send you new lock sets that all use the same key for the compartment doors. The coach doors....maybe. The other thing would be that you have a locksmith re-key all the locks. But that would be on your dime. Any RV parts store might have lock sets that all have the same key for the outside compartment doors. Still on your dime.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Our SOB TT had the same thing for the two entry doors...two different keys that looked the same. But all compartment locks were the standard CH751, just like our BH was before I changed them to tubular locks (with the same key)

Urban350

First question I have is did you do anything with your locks? I know your problem as I also have a door key for each man door into the trailer (2 keys), 1 key for the for the slam latch on 1 compartment, 1 key for the rest of the compartments, 1 key for the toylok option, and 1 key for the back door locks. So for this trailer I have 6 keys plus another key for the lock for the pin. I would also be happy with at least just 1 key for the doors.

JohnDar

First question I have is did you do anything with your locks? I know your problem as I also have a door key for each man door into the trailer (2 keys), 1 key for the for the slam latch on 1 compartment, 1 key for the rest of the compartments, 1 key for the toylok option, and 1 key for the back door locks. So for this trailer I have 6 keys plus another key for the lock for the pin. I would also be happy with at least just 1 key for the doors.

We didn't do anything with the door locks since we rarely used the rear one (it was into the bedroom) for other than loading luggage or the bikes (they rode on the bed). Not sure, but it might be possible to take them to a locksmith and have the tumblers matched to the same key.

happykraut

Our SOB TT had the same thing for the two entry doors...two different keys that looked the same. But all compartment locks were the standard CH751, just like our BH was before I changed them to tubular locks (with the same key)

JohnDar, where did you purchase your tubular cam locks and how pricey were they? I have spent hours on the internet looking for a set. Mine need to have 1 3/8 in long threads. I've found several, but they all are shorter. A local key shop can get them for me to the tune of over $18 per lock.

JohnDar

JohnDar, where did you purchase your tubular cam locks and how pricey were they? I have spent hours on the internet looking for a set. Mine need to have 1 3/8 in long threads. I've found several, but they all are shorter. A local key shop can get them for me to the tune of over $18 per lock.

Bernie, I got them from Mr. Lock http://www.mrlock.com/mfg/lsda/tubular_cam_locks.html Mine are the UTCL-118 model. That $18 a lock from a local locksmith is about right. Cheap they are not.

I even put one on the propane cabinet. When we're in residence, I leave it unlocked. When we're not, I turn off the propane and lock it.

happykraut

Bernie, I got them from Mr. Lock http://www.mrlock.com/mfg/lsda/tubular_cam_locks.html Mine are the UTCL-118 model. That $18 a lock from a local locksmith is about right. Cheap they are not.

I even put one on the propane cabinet. When we're in residence, I leave it unlocked. When we're not, I turn off the propane and lock it.

Thanks, John. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and pay the price. I believe it is against the law to lock the propane compartment, but I guess whenever I'm with the rig I could leave it unlocked. Right now the tanks are chained and pad locked (tubular key), but I like the idea of installing the locks.

JohnDar

Thanks, John. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and pay the price. I believe it is against the law to lock the propane compartment, but I guess whenever I'm with the rig I could leave it unlocked. Right now the tanks are chained and pad locked (tubular key), but I like the idea of installing the locks.

The only time the cabinet is locked is when the rig is in storage or we're 200 miles away, at home. In either case, the gas is turned off, so a propane fueled fire does not concern me. Any firefighter worth his salt can get into that cabinet in a matter of seconds, locked or not. Just like a car fire, once it's burning, we aren't overly concerned with being gentle.

GaryWT

I have tyhe same thing on the reg doors, 2 keys but one door is to the bathroom so we leave the key unlocked and just use the deadbolt. As for the compartments, I find it funny that you have different keys, I have one key for the front storage and the outside kitchen. In fact it is my understanding that any key for the outside storage will open just about and storage door in the entire industry. My friend has an Outback and his key works on my doors and any doors when we are on lots looking at trailers.