Camping near Houston TX.

PhotoPete

A bit ago I was accused of not camping very far south, based on my map of the country. In fact I believe I was invited to visit Texas. Its true, I must confess its cooler up here and It's a long haul from northern lower michigan. But, we are planning a trip down to Houston to see our son (and soon to be bride?).

I can visualize camping in the north, there are woods and trees and stuff like that, but in Houston? Ok i jest.:p Can anyone suggest a couple nice places for my sweetie and I to hang for a week or two in them parts.

PhotoPete

jimtoo

Hi PhotoPete,

One of the nicest places you will find is Rayford Crossing RV Resort at Spring, TX,,, which is a North side suburb of Houston. We have a rally there each year and the accommodations are great and of course it is run by great Texas folks. It is easy travel to anything in Houston,, easy access to IH 45.

Now if your going South of Houston,,, different story.

Jim M

PhotoPete

it looks like a nice place. Thanks. They are close to Rice University and the Houston Zoo. Looks like Rayford Crossing would be 45 minutes away. I am sure my wife would like to be closer than that if possible. Though we really don't want to be in a lousy area.

rustyshakelford

I'd rather commute the 45 mins than stay any further south and rayford crossing. It is a nice park. You would really like the woodlands area also.

Brett

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Another vote for Rayford Crossing...

We also have stayed at Houston West RV Park. If you need a park on the west side this is a nice one also.

BC

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Not only have we hosted several rallies at Rayford, we stay there for most of the winter season, so my vote is for Rayford.

Wharton

The real question is where is your son located. Houston is big with lots of traffic and the associated traffic jams. Rayford is good for the north side, Lakeview is good for the sourth and close to the 610 loop and downtown. The roads in Houston are not great(we go there every year to visit our daughter) we find all the traffic not to our liking. 45 minutes is an optimistic number from Rayford to downtown. We lived close to Rayford 15 years ago, traffic was OK when we first moved there but by the time we left 7 years later it had doubled, who knows what it is like now. We had to commute to downtown and hated the trip.

There are other campgrounds on the west, not any on the east side.

pegmikef

Rayford is a really nice RV resort. I was at a rally there in the spring and thoroughly enjoyed it, but it depends on what kind of camping you want to do, because there are a couple of state parks in the area and I think there is a coast guard family camp there around Houston if you are retired military or some other DOD affiliation.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
FYI - The City of Houston is huge. It is over 600 square miles in size and that is just the city limits. I concur that Rayford Crossing is a great beautiful RV park but being in The Woodlands it is at minimum 45 minutes from the Hermann Park (Zoo)/Rice University area. Lakeview RV Park is on South Main at Hiram Clark and is also a beautiful RV Park. Pricing for both parks are comparable. The Hermann Park/Rice University/Medical Center area is less than 5 miles or about a 15-20 minute drive from Lakeview RV Park. Jim who is the manager of Lakeview RV Park is a very hands on manager and makes the tenants 'toe the line' when it comes to following the rules and maintains a clean safe park. Lakeview is gated and the fence around it even has an alarm on it to keep non-registered people out. We stayed at Lakeview for 5 months and felt safe, secure and enjoyed our stay and stay there every time I have to go back for a medical follow-up at MD Anderson Hospital. (just stayed there this month). I would highly recommend Lakeview if your relatives are close to the Zoo/Medical center area. BTW, try not to drive through Houston during 6-930am and 330-630pm Mon-Fri as towing then is a bitc.....due to rush hour HEAVY traffic. http://www.lakeviewrvresort.com/

PhotoPete

I appreciate the input. Ill look these campgrounds up. Now if it will just cool off a bit down there. I hear it was 106 the other day! Thats a bit much for my tastes.