Followup to a Low Clearances post

PhotoPete

Some time ago I read a post about garmin type devices that will point out low clearances. one poster noted that you could purchase a POI database compatible with garmin and others from LowClearances.com for a very reasonable fee. I purchased that product and gave it a go on my garmin. My findings were a bit interesting and I thought I would share them with you.

We were driving on a well known (to me) highway when all of a sudden the garmin began to notify me of a low bridge ahead. I knew there was no low bridge ahead and so drove on. When we got to the low bridge location i noted that in fact there was a low bridge, it was however not a bridge we would be driving under, but rather over. the low bridge was under the road I was on. Had I not known the highway as i do I would have made a course change several miles back when I got the alarm.

I found it interesting and thought I would pass it on for others to ponder.

PhotoPete

PhotoPete

Yea, I did. I am thinking it's more of a proximity POI than a road specific POI. I don't think they will be able to fix that as they are only laying the POI's over the garmin map.