Hinges popping out of their holes (21fbs)

zeus7625

Just got back from the shakedown cruise in our 2012 21FBS. Three nights in extreme heat and rainy nights. We've got a short list of items for the dealer to fix but overall an enjoyable experience.

Has anyone had trouble with the hinges in the cabinets located over the slide "popping" out of their holes?
On the last night we were moving stuff around and two of the four cabinets "popped" one of the hinges. The plastic inserts and screws that hold the hinge to the door popped off.
I'm sure the dealer will fix it when we bring it in next week but I was wondering if this was going to be an issue later with the other cabinets as well.

jimtoo

Hi zeus7625,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I heard about some with the spring support popping loose, not sure what the fix was. You might do a search or just let your dealer take care of it for you. Glad you had just minor problems and a good first outing with your North Trail.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M

Manzan

Three of the support struts on the doors above our slide popped out on our shake down trip. Could have fixed it my self but had one other minor issue so asked the dealer to take care of them. I told the service technician that I would put a spot of glue in the hole or use slightly longer screws. He did both and have not had any problem since. Took possession of our NT 21 FBS on March 1st this year.

olcoon

After having our Elk Ridge for a year, and after the warranty expired ours did it at the national rally. Talked to one of the service techs that was working on the campers, and he said to use sicilone caulk on it. Tried it twice & it still didn't hold. Even let it dry for at least 24 hrs. When I got home I used a wood working glue that I've got & it held. So far, I've had to do it to 2 of the doors, and so far the glue is holding. As we've got a bunch of doors with hinges like this, I'm carrying the glue with me.

Ticaster

I had one door do this in my NT. Used a spot of gorilla glue to hold the inserts in and let dry over night. Worked like a charm. I am doing it to the rest of the cabinet doors proactively as I get time.
Cj

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Yep, had the same issue on several doors on my BH. Gorilla glue or wood type glue and 3/4 screw seems to have done the job. Quick fix with good results.

pegmikef

Yeah, glue and longer screws are the ticket. Also, on some of mine, I had to use a c-clamp to seat the hinges as they weren't properly seated from the factory and that was what caused them to come loose to start with. I have had to fix five of the eight in the last eight months. It only seems to be a problem with the swing up type doors.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Sounds to me like the manufacturer that makes the cabinets has a design flaw. Hopefully HL has addressed this issue with them.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Sounds like the problem we had with the lift-up cabinet doors on our TT. The strut snapped onto and pivoted on a plastic stub on the door frame and the stubs would break. Fix was to trim the stub flat and run a 3/4" or 1" screw through the hole in the rod into the frame. Worked fine.

jpdoggett

Yes I have had that on two of my cabinet doors over the chairs in the back. I took the hinge apart and put elmers glue in the hole and then put the plug back in. Have not had any problems since

bikerbob

WoW Thks. Great Forum. My overhead hinges pop out too. I tried longer screws and did not work. Now thks. to ya`ll i`ll get my gorilla glue out right now and fix them..Thanks again i knew i could fix them i`ll let u know how it worked.!!

loothig

our cabinets hardware all popped out we had to have my husbands brother take all the cabinet doors off take all the hardware off readjust the hardware glue just one of the problems

DRGalligher

Same here! It was just one cupboard door in the long slide. DH fixed it but can't remember how. Aggravating for sure but that was about it for problems.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If the screws are pulling out of the wood and stripping the hole, you can use the end of a toothpick to fill the hole and reinsert the screw. Apply a dab of wood glue (I prefer Titebond III) to the end, stick it end and break it off flush with the face frame. Then run the screw in. The toothpick makes the seat tight and the glue will set and make it permanent.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Had numerous pop outs myself in our BH 3185. Glue and longer screws was my fix. When I asked the dealer about this they never heard of the problem being on the BH. I think the struts are to strong for the this application. I also had 8 door panels separate at the seams which the dealer is correcting currently.

Lou_and_Bette

Had one, so far, pop out and using a fix I believe I read on this forum, used a 3/8" hard wood dowel, correct diameter for hole and trimmed to right length, put short plug in hole using wood glue, then replaced hinge, pre-drilled and reused screw. Tried just glue first and did not work. So far, it is holding well

Lou

BigWave

We also have several that are popping out. Frustrating! Its one of many warranty items that will hopefully get taken care of after we drop off our NT at the dealer.

TeJay

The wooden dowel is a good idea. I've soaked the area with Tight bond thin superglue (HD has it) to strengthen the area around the screw hole. Toothpicks (Already mentioned) used to fill the hole then glued, using either wood glue or super glue also works very well. Also my experience has been that I will usually take more time and do a better job of repairs like that than the dealer will. They may care but not the same as the owner.

TeJay