Bighorn front Compartment

Westwind

Now that I'm in the process of getting our new Bighorn 3070 ready and loading our things in it I have found two things I would love to see you change, one is that everyone hauls bicycles, the kind you pedal. The trailer really needs some type of small receiver for a bike rack, on some of your other trailer lines they either have some sort of rack or you can add a receiver for a rack. I realize your frame manufacturer worries that someone will try to tow a house with it, but I think that can be worked around.
The other item is the front compartment that is not weather tight, I realize that if you have a generator it can't be but owners should have the option because I don't know what the numbers are but most probably don't do generators. I'm in the process of trying to figure out how to tighten up the compartment to prevent road dust and water from coming in during traveling.
Other problem is not having the front jack area's closed to weather off the road and rodents who can get into the RV, after doing a inspection of the underneath of the 3070 I feel that it was pretty well sealed, but the in front of the main storage compartment, it needs some rethinking.

Last edited:

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Ironically, the bike rack receiver was eliminated starting this year. I believe for the reason you stated. When mine goes out of warranty, I may add a receiver. I am getting tired of the bikes in the back of the truck. Although I do like the clean look of the rig with no rack in the back.
Don't know about how the front compartment design looks empty. I have a generator in mine. Trace

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
To prevent mice and chipmunks from taking residence in the front compartment, I used some heavy screen material to form a U-channel and placed that between the front wall framing and the compartment frame. Then I filled the channel with Great Foam from top to bottom. Along the top, where the overhang meets the frame, I stuffed lengths of pipe foam insulation to close it off. The other openings in the compartment are the holes for the jacks, where I stuff soft foam pieces while parked, and along the front edge of the compartment floor pan. Too small for mice, but if road dust is the concern, you could run a bead of foam or caulk along that to seal it.

The other point of entry is probably the door itself. That area is getting turbulence from the back of the truck, so you might have to beef up the seal to keep dust out. All I store in there are camp chairs, ground mats, and the screen tent, so a little dust isn't a big deal (mouse poop and half-eaten acorns were). While set on site, all that's in there are the carry bags for that stuff, along with my 30A extension cord. Once we're set up, I really don't have a need to go in there.

I'll know next week if the mouse proofing works for sure.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
The other item is the front compartment that is not weather tight. I'm in the process of thry to figure out how to tighten up the compartment to prevent road dust and water from coming in during traveling.

Let me know if you come up with a good idea! Our front storage becomes a mud puddle if we travel in the rain. I have toyed with a couple of ideas (spray foam insulation, rubber sheeting etc) but have not tried anything yet.

Birchwood

We carry our bikes in the basement of our Landmark.We remove the front wheel ,seat and strap them in.
Take them to Florida for 6 months and still have loads of room.Never carry anything on the outside of our Landmark.
As for the vented front compartment its good for extra propane tanks and generator if so desired.Never seen a drop of water in ours from road spray.

Westwind

I've been holding off starting work on that compartment but my goal is to make it dry/tight from road dust & water. I haven't sealed the deal on what I'm going to put it there but it appears that the the bikes without the wheels on might fit. I'd have to make some type of tie down for them and I've found some rubber stair runner for the bottom of the
compartment. I'm thinking that aluminum flashing bent on a 90 degree angle would fit up against the front and sides of the compartment and sealed with foam and caulking. The front Jack area's are still a puzzle. If I use screening it's going to have to be small screen to keep out mice. Maybe a screen for foundation with some type of rubber matting to keep out mice and water are a plan, have to work on that idea. This is not the sort of tasks that I would espect on a new fifthwheel. If anyone has some suggestions please chime in.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
This is not the sort of tasks that I would espect on a new fifthwheel.

The leaks in that compartment can be an issue for us as we live where it rains 360 days a year but I don't necessarily think it is a manufacturing defect. I do blame myself for not seeing it when we were looking at rigs as I don't like surprises but it certainly isn't a major concern. It doesn't leak unless we are towing so if I know we are headed for wet weather I can simply lay down a tarp until a more permanent fix can be made.

Westwind

I don't look at it as a defect because if I had a generator I would want it open for ventilation. But I'm using it for a different purpose and I really want it weather tight. I have looked at other fifthwheel brands that have a tight compartment. It's all in the design of the front of the fifthwheel.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I did not like the bike rack on the back of the trailer because of a lot of bouncing and the possibility of loosing them and not knowing it. Terry Hershberger (TerryH) made a bike rack that will mount on your pin box. I took his information and built mine. If your intrested you can check it out here Bike Rack. TerryH also has some photos in the Heartland gallery.

BC

Westwind

I thought about mounting it to the front hitch pin, I have the standard factory hitch pin covered with the plastic cover. So the cover would have to come off to start.
I think what I'm going to do is see if I can manage this year by putting the bikes in the front compartment, of course they will be disassembled and then see how we make out. They will be low, hopefully easy to get in and out??? But I'm open to anything at this stage.
Also in the compartment they should be protected against winter road salt etc. since we travel to Florida in the January-February time frame.

jbeletti

Ironically, the bike rack receiver was eliminated starting this year. I believe for the reason you stated....

Trace,

The bike rack option was eliminated due to very low order levels for it. We were having Lippert weld the brackets to the frame on 100% of LM/BH. The order rate from us from customers on the hitch that bolts up to it was so low, it just didn't make any sense to offer it anymore and to build the cost of the brackets into 100% of the frames.

Jim

Jimmy

Trace,

The bike rack option was eliminated due to very low order levels for it. We were having Lippert weld the brackets to the frame on 100% of LM/BH. The order rate from us from customers on the hitch that bolts up to it was so low, it just didn't make any sense to offer it anymore and to build the cost of the brackets into 100% of the frames.

Jim

Jim, are you saying my Rig may have the brackets on the frame?

lizzymit

I agree about the front compartment issues. I finally used the aerosol foam that comes in a can and seals all the gaps. It is working pretty well and hasn't failed in the last six months.

Westwind

I think the reason it wasn't ordered was because no one knew you could get it. No where in the Heartland Bighorn published information did I find any reference to a hitch for a bicycle rack. I would love to install one myself, if the information on how and where on the frame it can be done. I have looked under the trailer and everything is sealed up ( Happy with That). So any help would be appreciated.

jbeletti

Jim, are you saying my Rig may have the brackets on the frame?

Jimmy,

You'll need to take a look for yourself at the back of your RV in the last foot or so of the I-beam frame. It will be very evident if you have it. If you get back there and see nothing or don't know what you are looking for, you likely do not have them.

Jim

hogan

Past Mississippi Chapter Leader (Founding)
I see the attachment ears on my frame, so the next question is: Are there any of the bike rack hitches around out there, maybe in surplus? or does someone have a picture of one?

Westwind

I checked mine out but no tabs hanging below the frame so that must mean I have the frame that they were elimated from. I wonder if I loosened up the cover and looked up if I would find the spot that they were attached. They I could have some fabricated and put a small hitch on for the bicycle rack. But for this year it's the front compartment. So it looks like I've got to find a a way to tighten that compartment.

jbeletti

I see the attachment ears on my frame, so the next question is: Are there any of the bike rack hitches around out there, maybe in surplus? or does someone have a picture of one?

Hogan,

Call Customer Service in the morning. Ask for your Parts rep. Then ask them if they have any bike hitches in stock or if they can get some. If I recall correctly, the price was in the $125-$150 range.

Jim

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We're heading back up to Camp Gotchurwallet tomorrow, so I'll let you know if my sealing attempts kept the critters out while we were gone.