brakes

shaneandtammymoore

Shane & Tammy
Has anyone had any brake problems. Got my 3055 in July 06 and brakes were good. I now barely have any brakes. Brake controller is working fine with other trailers that I have. I dont even have very good brakes at very low speeds. Normally should be real stiff here and was when I first got the unit. I am taking it back to the dealer again this week, I was just wandering if anyone else has experienced this problem.

Jimmyt5

HAve you adjusted them???
When I had SOB the Dexter people said it was a good idea to adjust them every 1000 to 2000 miles.

shaneandtammymoore

Shane & Tammy
I have not adjusted yet. Going to dealer tomorrow since its still under warranty. I have had good luck out of my dealer on everything so far. Probably got about 3000-4000 miles on it now. Thanks.

Uncle Rog

Howdy, never had any really good brakes until I changed out the tires. The adjusters were out 100 clicks each! I was amazed I had any brakes at all! I am still not completely satisfied with the stopping power so I might try a new controller, although, I think I would be throwing money away...I am open for ideas....

ct0218

Most drum brakes are self adjusting, however, few people brake long or often enough when backing their 5er(that's when they adjust), so they seldom adjust. When you think about how much these trailers weigh you realize that it has to wear pretty good on the pads and drums, so they do need manual adjusting. That is on my list for next month, I have about 2500 on mine.

ct0218

You can always take it to a parking lot and back up. I'm not sure if it is the backing frequency or distance that adjusts the brakes. Surely someone on the Forum knows the answer to that. The adjusters sometimes do fail to work because of rust and drum dust, that's why I like to do it myself. I really don't want that feeling you get when someone pulls out or stops in front of you and you realize you're going to stop about 30 or 40 feet beyond them. When I picked up my Landmark for the trip home I had one brake drum slightly working, the other 3 not at all. I got a couple of miles down the road when I realized it and then turned around and went back. I'm still not sure if Dexter or Lippert never adjusted them, or they wore that much on the 900+ mile trip by the transporter.

Do the have self adjusters on the landmark??? i just did my bearings and brakes on my 07/ 3400RL friday and i had a bad seal that leaked all over the brakes from the factory,so my brakeing was not all that good but there were no self adjusters on my axles, manual adjusting only...

C

Chulinw

You have to adjust your brakes from the inside and remove a little plastic black plug and jack up one tire at a time and adjust while you turn the wheel so you don't over adjust the brake. It ijust take a few min per tire.
I never seen self-adjusting brakes on 5er only car/trucks. Sometimes even with the self adjusting brakes you have to adjust them now and then.

Forrest Fetherolf

In addition to "chulinw" suggestions, I pull out the emergency breakaway switch pin on the hitch pin after I adjust each wheel brake. This will send 12v to the brake and lock up the wheel. If you can rotate the tire by hand with the switch pin removed, the brake system in not operating properly. Lippert's brake manual gives instructions on how to verify proper voltage to each brake.

ChopperBill

I dont know why they cant just put disc brakes on these things. I would have paid for the option. The difference in cost would be way out weighed by convenience and performance.

davebennington

When we ordered our Landmark Golden Gate I asked about disc brakes too the response I got was they where having problems with them in the industry and Heartland was staying away from the disc brake as an option. As the result of that we went with the 8000 lb axle, this gives you the largest drum brake option in the industry that I am aware of. I just pulled the wheels and checked the brakes and bearings the other day. The brakes are like new and the Dexter never lube bearings look good also. I did note the it has self adjusters on the brakes.

Dave

happyrover

Disc Brakes

Chopper Bill:

Just had electric/hydraulic disc brakes installed on my new 2008 Landmark Grand Canyon. Work was done by Ron Green at Recreational Specialties. 574-266-7911. They are the Kodiak 13" rotors. A tad pricey but have been told they are well worth the money. Will pick up my new rig this Friday and will up date everyone on the brake performance. Have lots of hills in the west so wanted to insure I could stop. No matter which way I go it is uphill. Good luck with yours.
Mel