Convection Oven!

2psnapod1

Texas-South Chapter Leader-Retired
It's taking some getting used to...but I'm getting there. I kept forgetting to put the round metal rack in the microwave/convection oven so things weren't cooked quite right. I never had any true disasters...just things that needed a little extra help. I haven't done too much cooking in it yet (this fall & winter will be the true test) as I do a lot of grilling now.

Does anyone have any tips or convection oven recipes? I sure would appreciate anything!

back2nature

No tips here, but it does take some getting used to. At home, I have a convection oven (the second one I've had) and have used them with no problem for 15 years. But it's not a combo microwave/convection like in the RV and I seem to have a little trouble with the pre-heat function. I seem to heat it, then it shuts off and I find I'm cooking something while the oven is getting cooler. I seem to have to always get out the manual. I guess when I use it enough, I'll have the system memorized.

SueVaughn

When they retrofitted our BC with the micro/convection the dealer told us it did not come with a manual. So the only time I tried to use it, it was a guessing game as to the settings to use....

2psnapod1

Hi Sue - I did some research and also when we picked up our coach at Lazydays they have different classes you can attend...one being a convection oven class! What I did learn mostly was that you cook at the same temperature but add 25% more to your cooking time. So if you are suppose to cook for 15 minutes you would now cook for 19 minutes. This has worked pretty good for me so far.

twohappycampers

Re: Convection Oven ?'s and frozen french fries

Hello from onehappycamper :) the other one's at work :) I'm having a dickens of a time with my Frigidaire convection microwave oven, trying to figure it out, but I'm getting there I think. It roasted a beef roast beautifully the other day, and then when I tried to roast a chicken using the same method - Combo - I couldn't get any browning. The meat cooked fine, but it looked pretty unappetizing with the blond-coloured skin. Any hints? Oh, I cooked it at 325 degrees as I would in a regular oven. Maybe that was the problem?

I have a good tip for other lovers of french fries. May be old news to some, but to me it was a revelation after trying to use my convection microwave for frozen fries with blah results. (not my idea , read it somewhere) Take your frozen fries (I used McCain's super crispy). Place them directly and carefully and only one layer on the round metal rack that comes with your convection/microwave oven. Then select preheat to 425 degrees on bake/brown. Press start. By the time your oven beeps to indicate it's up to temperature (approx 15 minutes) the fries will be done! Crispy outside and soft inside. Perfect!

I tested it first with just 10 fries. Happy with the results, so for dinner that night for fish & fries, loaded it up with enough fries for myself and hubby, trying to keep space between each fry. Hubby really liked them so that will be my preferred method for cooking frozen french fries from now on, in half the time it takes in a regular oven!

2psnapod1

Gonna keep your french fry trick in the back of my mind! Thank you!

With your roasted chicken I remember in our Lazydays 'class' that they talked about the problem with browning in the convection oven. Since it cooks with hot air swirling about the food and air doesn't brown food. So they suggested using butter or oil of some kind on the chicken to help get the desired browning. You may just want to use the full convection instead of the comb method and see if that helps.

back2nature

When I got my first convection oven, by Kitchen Aid for the home, about 17 years ago, I took a convection oven class. They taught us that because the movement of hot air cooks foods more evenly and efficiently, and food will cook more quickly.

From my Kitchen Aid Convection cookbook: "Cooking times, especially for large roasts and poultry, are shortened by as much as 30 percent."

From several of the chicken recipes in the book, bake times say: "Convection Bake in a 325 F oven for 20 to 25 minutes (Or, standard bake in a 350 F oven for about 30 minutes.)"

So they lower the temperature and shorten the time.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired

You can obtain operational manuals for your Frigidaire Micro Convection ovens HERE. You will need to put you product model number in to get the right information.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

Here's a tip for using the microwave. Get yourself a Pasta Boat from a kitchen store. You can cook pasta or steam veggies in it without boiling a pot of water.

OK, I'm out of here.....

funntheson

Can someone post a picture of the round metal rack that is supposed to come with the microwave/convection combo. All we have is the round glass plate for the microwave.

2psnapod1

Here you go! I have a Frigidaire Microwave/convection oven that came in our Landmark. It also has a rectangle metal rack that fits the entire length of the unit that is removed when microwaving. Perhaps your model is different?

rack.JPG

twohappycampers

Have no picture, sorry. Mine came with the round glass plate, the round metal rack that sits approximately 2 inches high, and a rectangular metal rack that sits approx 3 inches high and sits on 4 white plastic pegs. Mine is a Frigidaire, brand new. Good luck.

ParkIt

Currently debating on what to replace the microwave with (we just don't use it) with either a large size toaster oven or a convection oven. Both draw the same power and I'm used to the toaster oven which has a built in rotisserie though the convection is a little bigger. Any 2¢ on either one?

Joy & Jeff

Past Missouri Chapter Leaders
I tried to cook a Papa Murphy's pizza using the combo and it wasn't working all that well so I used the straight convection and it turned out pretty good. I'm thinking of finding a cook book specifically for this type cooking. Any suggestions?

Ive been having pretty good luck with mine. Ive cooked breaded chicken breasts at 350 for about 15 minutes they came out crispy and juicy, yum. I also did breaded cod cut into strips for fish tacos 450 for 10 minutes crispy outside ans flaky yummy center.

I like to cook with it so much better then the gas oven, the gas oven makes it so hot.

danemayer

I have a convection do I need 50amp to run it? It seems I blow a cercuit all the time
Hi ann37,

You don't need 50 amp service to run the convection oven, but if you're hooked up to 30 amp service, you'll probably have to shut other things off to make sure you don't exceed 30 amps total. One easy way to handle it is to switch the air conditioning off while running the oven. When finished, turn it back on. If you need A/C, you could try turning off other things.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Which breaker are you tripping?
RV main, park pedestal, dedicated micro??

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2